PDA

View Full Version : Rec Fishing Licence for Queensland. ???

Lucky_Phill
19-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Representing the interests of Recreational Fishing
Sunfish Queensland has been asked by Fisheries Queensland to prepare a list of conditions for the introduction by the Queensland Government of a Recreational Fishing Licence.

Sunfish Queensland will only consider a recreational fishing licence under the following conditions:

a. Licence fees collected must be quarantined in a Trust account

b. All other Queensland government fisheries related fees, licences, permits and levies on recreational fishers to be removed, including but not limited to SIP (Stocked Impoundment Permit) and RUF (Recreational Use Fee)

c. Licence to be all species, areas, gears, and fisheries involving recreational fishing (freshwater and saltwater)

d. Sunfish Queensland as the peak body for recreational fishing to receive 2.5% of monies received as a fixed yearly grant to finance its activities and approved projects

e. Fisheries Queensland administration fees to be fixed at a maximum of 10% of monies received

f. Conditions of expenditure / distribution to be determined prior to the introduction of a licence. This needs to include maintenance of existing funding e.g. Suntag funding and Stocking Program. All monies collected are to specifically benefit recreational fishing with unspent monies to carry over from year to year.

g. A six person appropriation / review board with an independent chair (7 persons) to be appointed with a majority of recreational industry membership with at least 2 Sunfish Qld appointments.

h. Fees to be set annually but fixed for the first 3 years
$5 for 3 days
$10 for 4 weeks
$30 for 1 year

No long term licence until after 3 years

i. Licence to apply to all persons (individuals only)
Under 18 no charge for licence
25% discount to pensioners (card holders)
Over 70 no charge for licence
Full price all other anglers

j. Provision of a grants program for Queensland recreational fishing organizations each year.

k. Licence application to have a tick box to allow the use of contact details by Sunfish Qld and Fisheries Qld

l. A commitment that ongoing progress will be made each year on net free areas with priority given to all nine net free areas as previously advised by Sunfish Qld.

Kind Regards
Judy Lynne
Executive Officer
Sunfish Queensland Inc 8th July, 2012
PO BOX 3013 WARNER QLD 4500 Phone (07) 3882 4518
www.sunfishqld.com.au (http://www.sunfishqld.com.au) ABN 26 590 693 754
Fishing for the Future

LP........... :-?

Lucky_Phill
19-07-2012, 02:49 PM
People, please be aware that Fisheries Queensland may bring the Rec Fishing licence in with or without support from Sunfish, ARFF, AFTA or you.

If you have anything positive to say, please feel free, but to do this you must choose an option in the poll.

Cheers LP

STUIE63
19-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Phill
a third option would be godd as well
I will not support a Rec Fishing Licence for Qld in any way shape or form
Stuie

Lucky_Phill
19-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Phill
a third option would be godd as well
I will not support a Rec Fishing Licence for Qld in any way shape or form
Stuie

Yes, that is OK, but this poll is specifically asking about the Sunfish conditions..... not the licence introduction.

Cheers

fishfeeder
19-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I would pay $30 for a year to fish,
But NOT if they keep putting the Boat Rego's up every year $20-$30 also.

Blythy
19-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I would also like to see an added condition that all licenses be renewed at one date in the year (people applying after that date would pay pro rata), at the start of each licensing period everyone receives a current size, bag limit and fish id guide. Any changes to size or bag limits would need to be implemented at the start of each period, not midway through with no warning.
Blythy

Dicko
19-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm not a full on sunfish fan, but I ticked yes. Though would still massage the terms some more.

Whether we like it or not, or agree with it or not, the state gov't is in lock down mode with $$, and will be for quite some time as they dig us back out of a financial hole.

We need to be more in charge of our own fishing future & funding.

bennykenny
19-07-2012, 04:36 PM
i would vote yes, but adding the condition of not having to carry the licence with you at all times, as in NSW if you have a licence but dont have it on you at the time you get fined, surley in this day and age they could come up with a better system, if you can prove who you are with different ID like your licence.

PinHead
19-07-2012, 04:45 PM
ABSOLUTELY NO:

"d. Sunfish Queensland as the peak body for recreational fishing to receive 2.5% of monies received as a fixed yearly grant to finance its activities and approved projects"

they represent sweet bugger all of the 700000 rec anglers in this State.

"g. A six person appropriation / review board with an independent chair (7 persons) to be appointed with a majority of recreational industry membership with at least 2 Sunfish Qld appointments."

If I had to pay a license fee then all license holders should have the right to vote for EVERY board member.

their proposal has nothing to do with rec angling..just feathering their own nest.

Let's just say that all 700000 anglers only paid for the $10 license..that would give Sunfish $175,000.00 ..just a power and money grab from Sunfish.

Sunfish..P*-/ OFF

I will not pay for a license under those conditions.

I bet the Sunfish board all wear Ned Kelly helmets.

Crunchy
19-07-2012, 04:46 PM
No, irrespective of the intentions & conditions up front and the inducement of having funds available to advance the interests of recreational fishers, sure as eggs is eggs at some stage those funds WILL end up in the general coffers, the administration cap WILL be breached, and those controlling the funds WILL faviour their own agenda's, new fees and levy's WILL be introduced. It may not be in the first year or second year but it WILL happen. It's better not to start down that slippery slope in the first place. And quite frankly I'm friggin sick of being charged for every damn thing I want to do.....enough is enough. And yes I understand that the poll is about the Sunfish conditions for a license fee and yes we could end up with a fee anyway, but my answer is still NO.

Cheers!

PinHead
19-07-2012, 04:49 PM
you are correct crunchy..like that statement made by the LNP..one line in the green zones. Yep..no fishing policy yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cannot trust this mob...same as the previous mob.

Mike Delisser
19-07-2012, 05:02 PM
People, please be aware that Fisheries Queensland may bring the Rec Fishing licence in with or without support from Sunfish, ARFF, AFTA or you.

Cheers LP

So much for the LNP's guarantee of no rec fishing licence in Qld.

webby
19-07-2012, 05:13 PM
You dont believe Politicians do you.;D
The LNP will do anything to bring the budget back to surplus.

They'll close have the state into Green Zones, and still expect you to pay for a Licence.
They can go and get stuffed.:-X

As for Sunfish, i wouldnt even offer them soft tissue paper to wipe there asses with:P

gruntahunta
19-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Guys, this is only a proposal from Sun Fish!..... it is not even close to legislation and I am 100% sure if someone does have proof that Premier Newman said he would not introduce a fishing licence and confronted him with this, it will not happen in his first term....UNLIKE Prime Minister Gillards "I will not introduce a carbon Tax", she did...

So I really think it is unfair to blame the premier (at least for now) when all that is happening is preliminary discussions. All Govts are elected for one term and we vote accordingly to their election promises....nothing has been said or done with regards to the fishing licence that even gets close to breaking an election promise.

All good Govts should dicuss and have input into future legislation from relevant bodies and I believe this is the case here.

By the way I am against a fishing licence in QLD. Especially in Salt Water...... Fresh water perhaps could be a different argument with stocking dams etc..... Not too many bream fingerlings released into Pine River lately!

marto78
19-07-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm all for donating $30 a year to help improve Qld's waterways and to see some proper scientific studies done in regards to green zones and the snapper fishery.
Hell I give $40 odd a month to the Qld surf life savers even though I haven't been swimming on a patrolled beach for years.

As for Sunfish's conditions well they have done SFA for me and I don't see why they should be getting 2.5% of my $30 to fund their activities. But seeing as they are the only group that is doing anything in the way of representing Qld anglers what other choice is there really?

PinHead
19-07-2012, 05:42 PM
"I believe govt considering rec fishing license as extension of snapper tax in RIS.
LNP have ruled out rec fishing license
Mark"

why have Fisheries Qld even asked Sunfish if a RFL was ruled out by ther LNP?

some porky pies spread pre election to get some votes perhaps? Or just another lying pollie you cannot trust?

PinHead
19-07-2012, 05:53 PM
the following is part of an email I received from Judy Lynne on 7.12.2009. Obviously the foreseeable future does not extend to 3 years.

"Hi Greg

Sunfish Qld is definitely not pushing for licences and won’t be doing so anytime in the foreseeable future.

Our branches are all independently run by their members. This particular branch has been pushing for licenses for many years. Every time it has been brought up at our General meetings it has been overwhelmingly defeated.

Currently we are preparing a document to list all the pros and cons of licenses so that we can be seen to not be closed minded on the issue. However, please be assured that there is no general support for them. The government’s history on managing the PPV levy leaves a lot to be desired and given that experience I find it hard to imagine that too many people would be prepared to trust them with license funds.

In NSW the main purpose was to buyout commercial effort and have Recreational Havens (Rec only areas) declared. Sunfish Qld has almost achieved this already without any cost. In the New Year, legislation will be going to Parliament to prevent commercial netting in all forms (including baitnetting) from occurring in yellow zones throughout Qld.

This will mean that only rec fishers can fish in yellow zones.

I appreciate your comments and ask that you keep in touch with any other issues that may concern you.
Have a great Christmas fishing.

Regards

Judy Lynne
Executive Officer
SUNFISH Queensland Inc

Fishing For The Future"

Lucky_Phill
19-07-2012, 06:00 PM

If you have anything positive to say, please feel free, but to do this you must choose an option in the poll.

Cheers LP

So Phill, all you are asking for is a Yes or No vote on this poll, and to provide positive feedback ?

That sounds easy. It would be impossible to go off on tangents about Governments, conspiracy theories, degradation of others, myths, hersay , he said / she said, who does what for who and the like.:-?

My positive imput is that I would like any funds collected under a RFL to go to establishing Recreational Fishing Havens.

FWIW, I do not support the introduction of an RFL so have decided to not support the Sunfish conditions, as they stand.

Regards Me.

Apollo
19-07-2012, 06:02 PM
I voted no, because of conditions d) and i). Money grab by an organisation that fails to represent and fee structure needs to be similar to the SIPs where if one holder on the boat has a licences, then every direct relative (eg wife, kids (under 18) and parents) on the boat or fishing within 30m is covered thus encouraging family activity.

gruntahunta
19-07-2012, 06:21 PM
"I believe govt considering rec fishing license as extension of snapper tax in RIS.
Mark"

some porky pies spread pre election to get some votes perhaps? Or just another lying pollie you cannot trust?

Greg.... as mentioned earlier in my post, NO ONE has said that it is to be introduced, it is only in discussion stage...... I really do get frustrated by some comments that whinge about Govts no doing anything..... A GOVT has too look past the 3/4 years it is in power and plan ahead for the future..... Sorry to say but the previous QLD GOVTS only ever looked at the term they won the election in and never planned for infrastructure and improvements/necessities ahead. Imagine if Clem Jones didnt do research about Sewerage installation in the years before he actually got it to happen!!!! ( I bet their were whingers about spending the money to research/implement it back then).

My point once again is, this is what good GOVTS do, they research, get opinions, and plan for the years ahead.... NO PROMISES BROKEN I CAN SEE HERE......

Boat Hog
19-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Well, I can see where Sunfish are coming from. I don't think they are proposing a licence, just saying that if there is to be one then they want a seat at the table that decides how licence fees are spent. I'd still like to know how Sunfish are the peak body for Rec angers in Qld? What does peak body mean?

Once you bring in a licence, then that is one more thing to enforce. Take here in NSW for example:

What do the fishing licence fee's pay for in NSW? I thought, fishing access projects, fish habitat care, fishing education projects etc. A closer look and you see money going into "Enforcement of Fishing Rules" - Yep fisheries officers etc, for 2011/2012 - $2,294,801, 2012/2013 - $2,3,340,180. Yes that's millions!

So, our recreational fishing licence is paying millions for a government department to enforce recreational fishing regs (kind of like we pay a licence fee to fund the people who check to see if we have a licence).

What else Hmmm ... lets not forget the $442, 662 provided to DPI for;

"Investigating the behavioural response to grey nurse sharks to recreational lure and baited lines - examines the interactions between particular fishing methods and the species. "

What resulted from that .... the last (thankfully repealed) round of expansions of no fishing zones in marine parks to protect (already no take) Grey Nurse Sharks and in areas like fish rock etc (South West Rocks) restrictions introduced for "medium and high risk" fishing methods including bait fishing and jigging.

So, anglers paid for studies into grey nurse sharks that resulted in increased fishing restrictions for said anglers. Where's the Newcastle to Wollongong Beach Swimmers Licence to fund studies into the effect of Shark Nets on protected shark species?

As I see it, Sunfish is trying to get in early, in case there is a licence,so as to have a say on what happens with the licence fee monies. So, good for them I say!

Cheers,

PinHead
19-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Mark"

Greg.... as mentioned earlier in my post, NO ONE has said that it is to be introduced, it is only in discussion stage...... I really do get frustrated by some comments that whinge about Govts no doing anything..... A GOVT has too look past the 3/4 years it is in power and plan ahead for the future..... Sorry to say but the previous QLD GOVTS only ever looked at the term they won the election in and never planned for infrastructure and improvements/necessities ahead. Imagine if Clem Jones didnt do research about Sewerage installation in the years before he actually got it to happen!!!! ( I bet their were whingers about spending the money to research/implement it back then).

My point once again is, this is what good GOVTS do, they research, get opinions, and plan for the years ahead.... NO PROMISES BROKEN I CAN SEE HERE......

BUT..why is it even in discussion stage when a sitting Member stated it was not on the cards..Oh how things change when they get power.

gruntahunta
19-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Pinny...BECAUSE IT MAY BE ON THEIR PLANS FOR THEIR NEXT TERM>>>>THEY HAVE TO PLAN NOW.....to get the general concenus.

Mrs Ronnie H
19-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi

I voted no. Its not that I am against a fishing Licence its more that I am sick and tired of just paying for everything. I pay to register the boat, I pay to register the trailer, I pay to register the 4x4 so we can tow the boat, I pay for bait, I pay for fuel and the list goes on. None of what I mentioned has gotten any cheaper-- CAN DO has seen to that.

Sure you may find the cost will start at 30 bucks but it will not stay at that. Another thing-- If you hold a pension card then you should not pay at all- full stop. Under 18-- To be more realistic 16 and under seems more reasonable.

I am sorry all but this is my Rant for the day.

A good idea at the time and prices indexed reasonably but further down the track they will change, Sunfish will be more inclined to want the cherry and the cake as well and it will all turn to S***IT.

Ronnie

Mike Delisser
19-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Greg.... as mentioned earlier in my post, NO ONE has said that it is to be introduced, it is only in discussion stage......

Word of this from the LNP was out even before the election, SIPs folded into a state wide fishing licence. That why I asked MP Mark that exact question on Ausfish in December, that's when I 1st heard of it. Guys in Fisheries are saying it's now a done deal, they're now waiting to see in what form.

And some here thought it wasn't a big deal if the LNP didn't have a Fisheries Policy out before the election.

goat boy
19-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Here's my 2c worth (lived in QLD all my life until recently, and will be back there one day in the near future for good)

a. Trust account - nice one to throw in, not going to happen though. It is foolish of Sunfish to think it would. IF a RFL was brought in, it will go into consolidated revenue and shared out on a perceived as needed basis (percentage based), imo.

b. Again, a nice one but this one has about 50/50 chance of making it through (if Sunfish have as much sway as they think they do).

c. Wow, they showed some balls with this one, and actually a little bit of foresight. A must have, imo, IF a RFL came in. Govt being Govt though, this could easily be changed after the fact.

d. Hrmm, this is quite disturbing. Not only because in other terms they are setting themselves up to be major stakehoders in a RFL (increased licence fee anyone? to further line the Sunfish empire...in year/s to come) but I personally don't give a damn if Sunfish exists or not. And that's not being nasty or spiteful or anything but they just don't give anything tangible to how I fish, and I fish alot. So what about the umpteen number of casual fishos??

e. 10%?? are Sunfish planning on moving in and annexing half of Fisheries QLD so as to collect more revenue? (that would make 10% make more sense) Outrageous, made even more outrageous by the fact that at least 'part' of Fisheries QLD funding will come from this RFL (not a top up of existing, just a contribution so as to lower current input) and 'admin fees' will be separate. IMO.

f. Again, a nice one. However, there won't be money left over. Foolish to think there would. Are Sunfish aware of how Govt budgets/spending works? If it's not used, it's lost, forever. Again, imo.

g. Someone else said, it should be voted. And it damn well should be if I'm paying for it. I don't want any snout just led to the trough and left sit there for eons because of an old boys club or whatever. If the public are paying for it, and the money is going into a trust account to be handed out appropriately, then it should be voted on. See my points d and e on what I reckon of 2 person minimum Sunfish members on the board...

h. Where did this come from? I want to see the research, data and predictions on what led to these specific figures. Otherwise it's numbers pulled out of some random ar$e for no logical reason other than 1. Sounds cheap enough to get away with, without a revolt. 2. A quick calculation on QLD rec fishers (all, an estimate) x licence fee = lot's of money to line coffers with, goody.

I. Why are pensioners and over 70s separated? why do pensioners only get a 25% discount? going back to the whole greed thing.....this reeks of collecting as much $$$ as possible with no thought on impact or outcomes.

I'm not totally opposed to an RFL (given the right set of conditions I suppose..) but damn, alot of things need to happen and change for those conditions to be right. This reeks of hypocrisy and of Sunfish trying to enact nepotism on themselves....I'd rather take my chances of being caught (and I reckon they'd be pretty good in most cases) than pay for an RFL anything like proposed here.

odes20
21-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Sounds like Sunfish is wanting in on possible back flip by Government. Pre empting and wanting in on it. This shows thier colors to me, as they in no way represent the Recreational Fishers at all. THE ONLY WAY TO REPRESENT US ALL IS TO TOTALLY OPPOSE ANY SUCH MOVE TO LICENSING.

AND I SAY if Gov has given their word in election campaign, there should be organised pressure/lobby to keep the Gov too their word.

To be honest, any Gov or elected Rep would have Rocks in their head to backflip on anything at present, seeing the massive public angst against the likes of Gillard for breaking her word on carbon Tax. If Cambell Newman is putting in place a code of Conduct for ministers, like I hear, then Im sure we can at least expext that doc to contain an expectation of keeping their word. In my view Sunfish has just started to unravel any credibility they had.

PADDLES
22-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I voted yes, I've always believed that a recreational angling licence is the only way that recreational angling can survive in this new world we live in. It raises funds directly for the management and research of the fishery and also clearly defines the number of recreational anglers using the fishery providing much more accurate data than has ever been available before. If a non-compulsory, and simple, online catch reporting scheme were to be implemented in conjunction with a license, the data collected could be invaluable for the fishery management. Bring it on sooner rather than later I say!

Feral
23-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Sunfish can go jump if it thinks its removing the SIP, fresh water fisho's would just get swamped by the salties.
And noway would I support them getting their snouts in the trough with a component of any collected money going to them.

NAGG
23-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I said No! ...... If you are going to introduce a new Licence & have it administered by a Trust - you need a new trust board formed that represents all stake holders.
The SIP scheme needs to stay in place as not everyone fishes the fresh nor do some the salt ....... sIP fees pretty well all go into fingerlings - i'd keep it that way .

Chris

Lucky_Phill
24-07-2012, 08:21 PM
From Fisheries Queensland today, 24th July 2012.

There has been consideration given regarding the introduction of recreational fishing licence in Queensland. Discussions were held with Sunfish Queensland as the peak recreational representative body. However, at this time, it has been decided that a general recreational fishing licence will not be introduced.

There is an existing election commitment for a netting buyback, and preparations for that process are well underway. The buyback will occur in three stages over the next three years and will focus on purchasing as many licence packages as possible with the available funding. The process will be administered by QRAA and will be a voluntary competitive tender process.

all over red rover. 8-)

Fancy a pollie keeping their promise...... unheard of..................NOT ! ::)

LP