PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth covering up ?

Scott79
16-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I will start by saying that I am quite a particular person, I already know that, I look after the things that I own, so I probably already know the answer.

However, does covering a boat in the backyard make much difference to the finish in the end? Assuming you maintain it as expected, wash it etc, and maybe a polish every 12 months, will it deteriorate that much quicker than being under a cover?

Also, what is likely to deteriorate more quickly, glass or painted alloy?

Lets at least assume that the outboard and upholstery are covered, ropes etc, and the dash etc... You get my point.

Scott.

goat boy
16-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I will start by saying that I am quite a particular person, I already know that, I look after the things that I own, so I probably already know the answer.
Scott.
Yep, you certainly do :D
If you're like that and you don't cover it you will be continually looking at it thinking you should and it will always be there, gnawing away in the back of your mind.....
Just cover it up, and let more important mind gnawers move in, like beer, and ample chested bikini girls

Spaniard_King
17-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Glass keeps well under the right cover, easier to bring glass back to a nice finish than scuffed paint on a tinny.

The right cover will determin the amount of protection any boat but the wrong one will do more damage than good

Captain Seaweed
17-07-2012, 07:56 AM
I agree to cover up with the correct cover. There are some on flea bay that are around 600 for a 8m boat and are available on the sunshine coast from the supplier just around the corner from Solas cant think of the name though. Great generic covers, I bought one and sold it with my boat. They are grey or blue and breathe.

Marty

bustastu
17-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Definitely cover it. You put too much money into it already to have it fade and deteriorate in front of your eyes.

bustastu
17-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Coverworld - premier circuit, warana. :)

Dan5
17-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Definatly cover it........UV damage to fuel lines,cables and steering happens pretty damn quick.........let alone your paint job.........

I have spent thousands on carports and covers and it has been well worth it as every time i sell my boats i can usually get top dollar for them as they have been looked after and stored properly.

Dan

charleville
17-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I have never been rigorous in covering my boat, mostly because I have in the past made such regular use of it and so it was a nuisance to do so several times each week. (In other words, I am am too lazy.)

It really hasn't made much difference to the finish on my Quintrex aluminium boat but after about 9 years or so, the stickers on my Mercury started to look a bit tired. That was really only noticeable in the past couple of years though.

What it made a difference to was the canopy. By about eight years the canopy was looking a bit tired with rotted stitching and faded, thinning, leaking vinyl so I replaced the canopy at about 9 years for around $900 or so.

I have used plastic tarps rather than proper boat covers over the years but that is a very false economy. Packaged boat covers from, say, a Whitworths annual sale at $119 for my size of boat are damn good value, especially because of the inbuilt webbing straps that hold the cover down in several places and stop any sort of flapping in strong winds and pooling of water. The cover extends fully from bowsprit to over the motor, fully covering canopy and bait board along the way.

Perhaps, I may not have needed to replace the plywood floor as early as I did either, albeit, the floor was regularly washed and so was possibly saturated with fresh water most of the time.

By far, the biggest nuisance of an uncovered boat in my heavily treed yard is the amount of leaves that collect in it. A good boat cover solves that problem.

johncar
17-07-2012, 07:55 PM
I reckon at least 10:1 rate of deterioration out in the open compared to fully covered in a shed. If you like to look after your toys, there is nothing like full cover to preserve it.

Scott79
17-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Initial thoughts confirmed!

Shed isn't an option at moment John, so will continue down the path of more temporary measures.
Good tip on Coverworld - looks pretty good. I am getting 6 months or so out of a regular tarp at present, it is just a nuisance to get on and off, those purpose built covers would have to be more user friendly, and presumably gentler on the paint - not that I have had issues, think it only occurs when tarps are poorly secured and flapping in the wind.

Thanks all, at least nobody diagnosed OCD...;)

Scott.

Hossfish
18-07-2012, 09:37 AM
G'day Scott

I can tell you from experience perspex windows and/or windscreens hate being exposed to UV.

They will craze over very quickly.

No harm in being modest and covering up.

I have an ocean south cover on my rig. Got it from wittworths for about 450.00 and it has been money well spent when considering the purchase price of my boat.

Safe boating to all.

Regards Greg

bigjimg
18-07-2012, 09:26 PM
82447I built a boatport for my boat and bought a cover for it as well.Still looks brand new at 4 yrs old.Just do it.Jim