PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know a place that can bend/roll 75x50 and 50x50 rhs on northside of bris?

burleygu
16-07-2012, 05:01 PM
looking to build my new heavy duty trailer for my tinny as my old one is cracked in a couple of places so to do things right i need to get the crossmembers 50x50x3mm and my 2 outer rails 75x50x3mm rolled rather then cutting out a 'v' section and bending them. does anybody know of anyone on the northside of brisbane that can do this? ive rung a few steel places and so far theyve been pretty unhelpful. thanks guys

trymyluck
16-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Tim
I just built a new trailer and all I used was a normal pipe bender, if you use a bit of pipe to suit the mandrel and bend it first seems to work well, after you bend it use it on the mandrel when you bend the 75 x 50. You may need to pack the sides of the bender with some flat bar and use G-clamps to stop the rhs bulging out but even if it does it is not that bad.
The 50 x 50 you can get away without the pipe or use it.

Mark

warti
16-07-2012, 07:01 PM
You could try "Roll Press Gurr" Not sure what side of brissy they are on. Not sure if they would look after the small guy though as they do a lot of big jobs.

truth stretcher
16-07-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm sure theres a place in the back of clontarf one of the streets which runs away from the dump . Not sure of the name though.
Mate of mine used to get tube rolled there but i'm sure they did RHS to.

captain rednut
16-07-2012, 09:38 PM
australian roll formers somewhere on the nothside, narangba from memory?????

burleygu
17-07-2012, 04:43 PM
thanks mark i thought about using my hydralic pipe bender i have however as you say i did not want the sides to bulge. The intention of this trailer build is to build something that will handle alot of offroad driving along corrigations etc. so optimum strength and overkill is in mind. But captain rednut thankyou and to who else replied i think the place you were referring to is called brisbane metal form? they are located at deception bay and the man in charge there lee was very helpfull and more then happy to assist me. So on the weekend seeing as tho its meant to be 25+ knots ill be getting welding tan on my feet!

2IC
17-07-2012, 06:02 PM
thanks mark i thought about using my hydralic pipe bender i have however as you say i did not want the sides to bulge. The intention of this trailer build is to build something that will handle alot of offroad driving along corrigations etc. so optimum strength and overkill is in mind. But captain rednut thankyou and to who else replied i think the place you were referring to is called brisbane metal form? they are located at deception bay and the man in charge there lee was very helpfull and more then happy to assist me. So on the weekend seeing as tho its meant to be 25+ knots ill be getting welding tan on my feet!

enjoy the tan mate lol

cormorant
17-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Considered using c section so no place for the rust to start internally?

madmackrel
17-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Build an ally trailer Tim, the only way to go. Word on the grapevine is you need a haircut.

burleygu
18-07-2012, 05:27 PM
haha i have a week off in shortly and am planning on giving the girls down there a visit! havnt had time to scratch myself of late working in all this bloody rain! thankfully job finished today!
An alloy trailer would be awsome! however the intent of this trailer is so i can take my 4.75 mtr bluefin up the cape early next year, I worry about an alloy trailer cracking on the roads up there and having the drama to fix it. Im sure if i paid somebody to make me a aluminium trailer it would be more then capable but i dont want to pay for it especially after having things like a fold out draw bar extension walkway etc added to it. I deffinately do not want to tackle alloy myself! So im making a steel one and will get it hot galvanised once it is finished.
cormorant i have heard c section flexs especially with offroad driving. i guess my preference was to use rhs and it will work fine especially considering its 3mm thick.
I may do a thread on the build once its well underway. So everybody can throw in there 2 cents.

Matt76
18-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah Brisbane Metal form mate. They do a great job.

fandtm666
21-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I may do a thread on the build once its well underway. So everybody can throw in there 2 cents.

that would be great im tossing up saving and saving to buy a new one

or try and remember how to weld again ( 15yrs since i last did ) and build one

burleygu
22-07-2012, 08:32 PM
ill be sure to post up some pictures once its underway. sadly i was let down by brisbane metal form they said they would have it done by the end of the week rock up friday arvo not even done. So no progress this weekend. my personal preference is from his remark that i deffinately wont be going back again.

Matt76
22-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I have no connection with BMF but they have served me well in the past, please be careful shooting down a company on the internet just because they were busy and couldn't get onto a small cash sale job. I am guilty of it myself on many occasions, as much as we (small businesses) try and keep everyone happy we must look after our bigger repeat customers before our cash sales. It's just how it is.

ill be sure to post up some pictures once its underway. sadly i was let down by brisbane metal form they said they would have it done by the end of the week rock up friday arvo not even done. So no progress this weekend. my personal preference is from his remark that i deffinately wont be going back again.

burleygu
23-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I understand that mate but i simply wont be going back there because of the remark he made to me putting it nicely he basically said i dont care if i told you it would be done, It isnt so tuff cookies. Im of the opinion if you tell somebody something you get it done and you work an hour later to keep your word. The fact that they couldnt even call me to say listen it wont be done friday says enough in itself. I drove out there for no reason just to come home again. empty handed. I work for my old man we are a small buisness and if i have a client ask me can all of this be done by the end of the week and i tell them yes Ill work dark to dark to get it done. Just a bad mentality is all im saying and wont have my buisness again