PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass Boats

ant1971
16-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi all, i was hoping to get some advice on a few makes of fibreglass boats.
I am looking to purchase a new one towards the end of the year, but without getting a mortgage for it!!
I have seen a Yalta craft and a Stejcraft online, but haven't seen either first hand. I am going to Brisbane boatshow next month, so hopefully by then i might have an idea of what to look out for.
Any help or advice on what to check for would be great.

If it makes any difference, i live in Far North Qld, so it can get choppy quickly.

Floating Rib
16-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Ant , you might give the guys a few more details as in length, intended use, cabin or not, what you tow with, mono or cat and rough budget, certainly guys here with lots of Knowledge but there are so many choices in boats so maybe you can narow it down.
Cheers
Rib

ant1971
16-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Ah, sorry mate, that would be a good idea! Im looking at 6m, half cabin, mainly fishing, but island hopping as well, i will be towing using a nissan navara, mono hull.
Budget wise, im looking about $45k

Only joined the site today, im sure ill get used to it soon. lol

ozynorts
16-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Hey Ant, welcome to the site. I am fairly new here also but have used the site fairly extensively since I started. I am going through the same process as you are.
You will find a lot of boats on sites like boatpoint, boatsales etc. Also look at sites like tradingpost and gumtree.
As for types of boats to start looking at, I have been given great information on boats like Haines, Yalta Craft, Allison, Mustang and Cruise Craft to start with. There are more but you can't go wrong by starting with those.
The guys on the site here are really helpful but also remember that there is a search function on the site and there is lots of info there already if you go looking.
Good luck with the search

ozynorts
16-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Ant check this out.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rasmussen/boats-jet-skis/575-cruise-craft-explorer/1004538083
and this http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bushland-beach/boats-jet-skis/haines-hunter-prowler-5-8m-center-cabin/1002886651 I would think this one would need an engine upgrade.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-ward/boats-jet-skis/1997-21ft-mustang-150h-suzuki/1003645705
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12327780.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12579912
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8633291
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12720231
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12680695
They should get you started

Jarrah Jack
16-07-2012, 07:32 PM
May be wise to avoid anything made in China like the Stegcraft and be aware that it looks like Allison is going through some troubles so any warranty would be suspect. Not saying Allison are bad boats but you would have to discount them to HH and others who have a long warranty.

johncar
16-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi ant1971, I agree with ozynorts in recommending a good preloved. You are only going to get a very basic and possibly not so good 6.0 GRP boat with your budget if wanting brand new. Even 2nd hand they are starting to get a few years on them for the good brands and models.
If you definitely want new and can stretch the budget a little then check out the Tournament pleasure Boats, like the Bluewater 1900 or 2000 better possibly one of the best new boats for your $$. Your call but Made in China is not the best move IMHO.

ozynorts
16-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I had a look at a 1900 Tournament on the weekend. ew on the floor with 150hp ETEC on it. They were asking $54k for it. It was a nice boat but I think that you can get a better deal on second hand if you look around and do your research. That is what we are doing and hopefully we will get the right boat in the end.

WalrusLike
16-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Have you looked at the Baysport boats? Built in Noosa their site has a 3 or 4 min video about their construction.

They are light but strong and look good. They are very stable at rest and seem to track well at speed.

They are cheap ish and it shows in some of the internal finish but everything thats important is done well. You can gradually upgrade the missing trim etc.

Not a perfect boat boat but perfect for me because it was in my price range and the wife approval factor was high. I don't know what they are like offshore but they are dry and I feel safe in the bay in rough conditions.

JollyDave
16-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Hi, fairly new to the boat scene myself but have spent a lot of time on line doing research with the following result:

1. New at around 6M cuddy and approx $45K will only get you the old style 2 stroke
2. As above with Opti or 4 stroke add about $4k minimum
3. Lots of info based on a mate of a mate had one of those - not first hand from owners
4. Needed to track down some actual owners and talk to them regarding the boats and their experience.
5. Many people quoting things like boats out of Chine light on in glass - need to check this yourself by comparing actual dry weights for same length boats
6. Most advise given with the best of intention but sometimes misguided

After doing all this I ended up buying a Stejcraft 580C - with 90 hp 4 stroke Merc. (2010 model). Went for a trial on water in the ocean off mandurah in WA and could not fault the ride or power balance ( did not want a speed boat) good for 30 knots, very dry and very stable. Also took a mate with me that has a 6.1 M aly ( blokes off shore fishing rig. He was really impressed with the ride etc.

The key point is to insure you go for an on water test, take a mate that has plenty of boating experience, and insure that you are happy with the ride, handling, stability etc etc.
There are others on the site that have Stejcraft and love em as well. Have yet to find an actual owner that does not like the boat.
Having said all that there are lots off other great boats, Yalta, Haines (great boats), Cruise Craft and on and on.

Have fun but make sure you trace down some owners before you buy.

Cheers
Dave

gpz1991
16-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi all, i was hoping to get some advice on a few makes of fibreglass boats.
I am looking to purchase a new one towards the end of the year, but without getting a mortgage for it!!
I have seen a Yalta craft and a Stejcraft online, but haven't seen either first hand. I am going to Brisbane boatshow next month, so hopefully by then i might have an idea of what to look out for.
Any help or advice on what to check for would be great.

If it makes any difference, i live in Far North Qld, so it can get choppy quickly.

Hi ant, the Yalta have a big following up that way, made in tin can bay, great boat in chop and swell, I have a 615 which is the same as the new 2200, would tow ok with your your car weight is approx 1900 kg fully loaded

Goldfinch
17-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Ant...definitely check out the Haines Hunter and Haines Signature range. Great boats, good warranties and good resale. You will get a lot better value for money in a secondhand boat though. Usually $15k off the new price and only 2 years old. You can still buy from a dealer. I have done this twice now and have had 2 excellent boats. Welcome to Ausfish.....addicted for life!!!! :-)
Cheers
Dave

ant1971
17-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Wow, thanks for all the help. Plenty there for me to think about. I have looked at second hand Haines and Cruise Craft and they seem to hold their value, but are still probably out of my price range. I have also seen new Yalta Craft and Stejcraft for around my budget, so I am hoping they will be at the show next month, and maybe get a water test. Its a bit of a minefield, so if anyone has anything else helpful it would be appreciated. But thanks again to all of you who has replied. Also there is the matter of the motor.........another subject to scratch my head at!!!!

ant1971
17-07-2012, 03:34 PM
im going to look at the site, thanks mate.

ozynorts
17-07-2012, 07:54 PM
with motor's you will have to chose what the dealer uses. The only option you may have is 2 or 4 stroke. Some dealers have two different motor brands which gives you more choice.

thelump
17-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow, thanks for all the help. Plenty there for me to think about. I have looked at second hand Haines and Cruise Craft and they seem to hold their value, but are still probably out of my price range. I have also seen new Yalta Craft and Stejcraft for around my budget, so I am hoping they will be at the show next month, and maybe get a water test. Its a bit of a minefield, so if anyone has anything else helpful it would be appreciated. But thanks again to all of you who has replied. Also there is the matter of the motor.........another subject to scratch my head at!!!!

As stated the Stejcraft are a chinese built boat so would be wary. The Yalta are built locally and have a reasonable rep. I have one and love it. Plenty to look at out there but Im pretty sure you can get the Yalta 2000 for around 43k with an optimax on it from Bribie. Not bad buying for mine.
Here it is. I was wrong its 44k
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11722387

ant1971
18-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Jason, thanks for that, ive seen the same boat at Bribie, they look really good, and all the tests ive read make them sound excellent. They are another make of boat im hoping will be in Brisbane next month.

Cheers mate

Still_Dreamin
18-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Gday Ant1971 I have recently gone through this process and I 'll share with you what I shared with Jollydave. I bought a Tournament 1750 with 90hp etec at the Tinnie and Tackle show in March 38K but by the time I upgraded electronics, clears, spare wheel and put a swing a way draw bar on my trailer the total cost 42k. Absolutely love it but if my shed was larger and pockets a bit deeper I think I would have gone the 1800 with a 115hp for 52k. Not much gain in length but much beamier boat. I bought it from Australian Marine Centre at Springwood. Mark Nilon was extremely helpful.
Brisbane yamaha (burpengary) had the Baysports (ask walruslike as he bought one around that time) and they were the boat we very nearly bought.
Cunningham marine was the dealer for Stejcraft (Clontarf) but have since gone broke so don't know of any dealer that has picked them up. As has been stated they are manufactured in China and assembled in Aus. Stejcraft have a long history in Aus boating. My only gripe with the Stejcraft was the side pockets. I struggled to get my hand in so couldnt see how I could store anything in there.
Leisure marine used to be the dealer for HH but went broke last year.
Australia Game boats (i think that was their name) had the Haines Sig but only had one boat on display which was very expensive with no extras.
I was originally in the market for a second hand boat but when faced with buying a second hand boat of say 5 years for only $5-10k less than new I didn't want to buy someone elses problems. I know when what and where my boat has been through. The peace of mind is worth it. Seemed strange at the time how much boats held their value in the second hand market but now i am an owner it is reassuring that if i needed to sell my boat I hopefully wouldnt lose to much.

Jakers 69
18-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Go and have a look at Coatal powerboats in Burleigh GC, they have a good range of quality boats on the floor. Or have a look on their website.

Chimo
18-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi Jakers 69

Good suggestion but hes in Nth Qld ie from post 1 "If it makes any difference, i live in Far North Qld, so it can get choppy quickly. "

Cheers
Chimo

Sheik
18-07-2012, 05:59 PM
And Galeforce boats have moved apparently from down Yatala, Coomera way up to Maryborough. They seem to get good reviews. Might be worth a call to them as they seem to custom make parts of the boat to suit your requirements.
regards Jim

ant1971
18-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks mate, i feel the same way, id rather buy new if i can than buy potential problems from someone else's tratment of a boat.
I know most people who have boats look after them, but im sure there are some out there that are up for sale due to problems, suppose its the same as second hand cars.

johncar
18-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks mate, i feel the same way, id rather buy new if i can than buy potential problems from someone else's tratment of a boat.
I know most people who have boats look after them, but im sure there are some out there that are up for sale due to problems, suppose its the same as second hand cars.

Well I would just like to say on behalf of owners who truely look after their rigs, You would absolutely get a better boat buying used from me than a new one. I say that genuinely because on average it can take me a year or so just fixing all the shortfalls from my expectations of a new boat and then my boats are meticulously looked after that. I have at least two mates who are perhaps even fussier and I wouldn't hesitate buying one of theirs either.
I just like everything to work and be functional, very reliable and safe. I amost totally rewire, replumb every boat as a start and replace anything cheap or dodgy, remove all hardware, modify, clean, refit and fully seal. I consider anyone buying one of my boats a very fortunate person and definitely worth more than what you get out of the box.
In saying this I know the other end of the spectrum well and truly exists and is perhaps more the norm, but when you find the right boat it should be obvious re the conviction of the owner.

ant1971
18-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks Jakers, i have emailed them.

ant1971
18-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I understand completely John, and if the right boat comes along for me, i will get a mate who is a mobile marine mechanic to look it over for me, and i know there are guys out there who take really good care of their boats, i suppose it would be in the back of my mind that something might be wrong.

Its going to take a while to get it right i think, but what i will say is its been so helpful already all the messages sent from people on this forum......glad i joined, when i get my boat ill be hassling everyone for fishing tips!!!!

Scubafish
19-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Tournament,good idea ,but watch out for lack of storage space,you will always be looking for more storage area.Other tips must have shade ,be comfortable,and most of all have a reliable motor or two better to get you home in one piece .Good luck .

WalrusLike
19-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I reckon a good tip is to check out the motor well to ensure it won't hold standing water.

Mine does and so do many other boat types. It is a long term recipe for transom issues.

It's such a simple thing to shape the well so that all traces of water drains away but many hulls don't achieve it. If one thing annoys me about a boat it is standing water.