PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 2001 115hp 2 stroke- question

strobe1970
14-07-2012, 06:58 PM
G'day All,

This might be a silly question it I figure better be safe than sorry. I'm a new boat owner and went for second run today. The red light on the fuel guage is lit and I'm not sure why. I don't have the user manual and a Google search didn't turn up anything useful. The tank is full and the motor was serviced two weeks ago. The motor also appears to be running fine.

Paul

rowanda
14-07-2012, 08:28 PM
is there an oil tank? could it be low?

strobe1970
14-07-2012, 09:15 PM
G'day Rowanda'

It does have an oil tank but its also over half full.

Paul

gpz1991
14-07-2012, 10:23 PM
I have 02 EFI and believe that yours would be similar, there should be a oil reserve under the cowl, check that this is also full. Ensure you replace lid correctly as this oil tank is pressurised and will leak, i believe that there is a Sensor in here. Will try to find my manual and let you know if there is anything in it

strobe1970
15-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks,

My oil tank is under the cowl - and its the one its half full - however is the lid is not on properly I can check that. Do you thuink'its safe to run or should I resolve the issue first.

Paul

Steeler
15-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Yours is the 2+2 right ?. Those have a magnet incased in the oil bottle and over time this magnet delaminates and will sit at the bottom of the tank thus sending out an alarm ( intermittent beep , beep , beep ) telling you your oil is low when in fact it may not be. This alarm does not mean the system is not working it is purely a low level alarm and not an inoperable alarm.

From the under the bottle is two blue wires so why not try disconnecting one of these and see if it stops the light from coming on, if your light stays on on you have eliminated this as an issue.

strobe1970
15-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Cool thank you I'll check that. Now I think I have another problem. There is no audible alarm when possibly there should be...... I have a red light but no alarm. How can I check that the alarm is working (or possibly not as this case might be).

Paul

rowanda
16-07-2012, 09:08 AM
if it was me I'd get a mercury agent to have a look at it. No point mucking around you'd rather have a motor you can trust
and you will be able to ask them what the light etc is aswell

strobe1970
16-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I checked with a Mercury Service Agent - they think its possibly water in the fuel tank but in any case going to take it in to check it out. Will update here when I find out the definitive answer.

Paul

strobe1970
22-07-2012, 07:43 PM
The Verdict is in. The gauge in question was not a mercury gauge - it was a standard VDO fuel gauge. The red light is indicating low fuel (even though the gauge itself was reading a full tank) probably due to a faulty sensor in the tank.

Paul