PDA

View Full Version : Spare Trailer Wheel ( stud Pattern)

gruntahunta
13-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Hey anyone...how can I tell (measure maybe?) what stud pattern I have on my trailer so I can buy a spare wheel... I have been running the gauntlet but niot going too far but with the Pin M&G on next weekend I had better get one.

The wheel (Tyre) I have on now is a 165R13 on a Redco Sportsman, I know this will not help as any hub can be fitted by the manufacturer when ordered but I thought I would incude as I know I would have gotten asked LOL.

Cheers Pete

Moonlighter
13-07-2012, 10:58 AM
If you give Redco a call they will most likely be a ble to tell you what the standard wheel is that they use.

Lots of them use a Ford 5 stud pattern in the 13" size. Fair chance that will be the size. If you know someone with an old 14" Falcon rim sitting around, you can use that to check as it is the same stud/offset pattern. If it is, unfortunately you will have to buy a specific trailer wheel, because there is no 13" Ford 5 stud wheel off a car that will fit as far as I am aware.

You can get the trailer wheels from some trailer parts supply places. Much cheaper from there than from boat places or marine chandlers.

But I would advise against getting them as a tyre/wheel combo, because the tyres they use are cheap crap. Just buy the wheel and go to your local tyre mob and get a decent quality, known brand, light truck tyre in the right size.

On my last boat, I had a Dunbier trailer with those same 13" Ford 5 stud pattern wheels. The trailer mob at Beenleigh had gal steel wheels that were multi-fit, in that they had extra holes and fitted both Ford and Holden 5 stud pattern wheels. I picked up a set and fitted some excellent Yokohama LT tyres in a 175/13 size to replace the original 165/13's which are too thin in my opinion. Handled the load better too.

Cheers

ML

PB
13-07-2012, 11:02 AM
i would be betting its a ford 5 stud pattern as they use a 1/2 inch stud.

Noelm
13-07-2012, 11:04 AM
just by a universal rim, they have both Ford and Holden patterns, a 13" uni, gal complete rim and tyre will cost around $180 at your boat dealer, then rin om its own is around $85-95, then you have to fit a tyre.

gruntahunta
13-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks peoples.... I mananged to find the receipt from where the previous owner bought the trailer and I gave them the Vin number and they kindly checked what was fitted. The info I got from him was the standard rims for Redco Trailers are HT Holden Hubs (not Ford as PB & Moonlighter said). My trailer was fitted with Ht Holden Hubs but Ford bearings.

So I guess one needs to make sure what it actually is before going and buying one. Any ways thanks for the help guys, I should not have any trouble getting one of them.

PS.. How much did we bet PB...LOL

cormorant
13-07-2012, 12:06 PM
There is so many combinations made now. Really is worth checking.

Check you actually have a wheel brace that will get the wheel lugs off as the other day I helped a bloke on the side of the road with his camper trailer where some nong had used lugs that needed a different sized socket. Then there is the jack saga. Check the car you tow with actually has a jack that will work on the trailer. I now have a box that I slip in the boot that has spares, jack, spare lugs and nuts, shackles, tiedowns, wheelbrace and put it in the towcar. Be nice to leave it in locked box on the drawbar but that would be a target for ramp thieves.

If you do a search on PCD ( pitch circle diameter) for trailer rims between that and the stud size you at least get the wheel correct. Bearings area different matter with some of the odd combos out there.

Moonlighter
13-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Cool.

Just made a quick phone call for you and Active Fabrications at Beenleigh have the rim you need for about $50 in either the HT or multifit stud patterns. For tyre and rim it's about $120.

So there's the first benchmark on prices for you to work from. I see your from the Northside of the river (why am I helping a Northsider????:P) so it might be a bit out of your way.....

But, as I said earlier, the unknown name tyres are crap, strongly recommend just getting the rim and get a decent Dunlop, Bridgestone or Yokohama etc and upgrade to 175/13 at the same time, fits on those rims fine. Tyre should cost less than $100 fitted.

So, for $30 bucks extra than the cheapo tyre combo you get a proper one. Not a hard decision......

You can get away with the no name tyres if all you ever do is trips to the local ramp, but any highway work at all and they are not to be trusted in my experience (note that I said experience, not opinion).

I have been let down by those cheap tyres, two blow-outs, and one time found both tyres had steel belts that had let go, fortunately just before I left for trip up north! Never again!

Cheers

ML

cormorant
13-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I'lll add one more as well. Not so sure it is as bad with newer tyres but we always use old fashioned tyre black and paint in all over the tyre on the spare as it sits exposed to the sun all the time and from experience the spare when changed onto the trailer never had a full life. We also rotate our spare onto the trailer when I check brakes, bearings so we know it won't a problem later on and I don't end up with a unused 5 year old tyre when the others are due for replacement.

trueblue
13-07-2012, 07:47 PM
PM me your phone number, I'm just around the corner and have a spare rim / tyre you can have if it fits

was the wrong one for my mine

petelaska
14-07-2012, 02:05 PM
dab a bit of grease on the end of each stud and put a piece of paper on it you will have a stud pattern to take to the shop.
pete

Axl
14-07-2012, 02:30 PM
HT Holden hubs running Ford bearings is pretty standard on newer trailers these days.

gruntahunta
14-07-2012, 03:58 PM
PM sent..thanks for the offer Trueblue.

hard2catch
15-07-2012, 10:03 AM
I've had 2 Redco trailers,both ran HT holden rims with ford bearings.

cormorant
15-07-2012, 08:15 PM
here is agood summary of aussie PCD

http://www.spinnythings.com.au/TECHNICAL_GUIDE.pdf

STUD PATTERNS / PCD
(for all hubs / hub drums / hub discs)
Ford - 1/2" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 114.3mm - 68mm from stud to stud
Holden HT - 7/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 108mm - 65mm from stud to stud
Holden HQ - 7/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 120.6mm - 72mm from stud to stud
Commodore - 7/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 120mm - 72mm from stud to stud
Gemini - 7/16" UNF studs - 4 Studs - PCD 100mm - not available in braked kits
Toyota - 7/16" UNF studs - 4 Studs - PCD 114.3mm - not available in braked kits
Mini - 7/16" UNF studs - 4 Studs - PCD 101.6mm - not available in braked kits
Landcruiser 100 series - 9/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 150mm

Landcruiser 80 series, F100 - 1/2" UNF studs - 6 Studs - PCD 139.7mm - 70mm between studs

Noelm
16-07-2012, 08:19 AM
I was just about to post something just like that!!

Feral
16-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I see you got the info you were chasing. This mob's ebay site is pretty good for trailer technical stuff if your chasing any further info.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Spinny-Things-Trailer-Parts/TECHNICAL-GUIDE.html

gruntahunta
16-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks to all for their advise and Offers. Unfortunately none would fit and I had to jump in my car and go to the Southside to All Trailer Spares and get a newy. I actually got one to fit from a mate but it wouldnt clear the brake calipers...something I had not thought of.....so the old 13inch HR stud pattern car rims (if you can find any, none at wreckers anywhere) are only good for trailers without brakes.....something to remember for future reference.