Fisheries Queensland
10-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Queensland Government
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Fisheries Queensland

Media Release
25 June 2012

Crabbers pinched after tip-off

Three recreational fishers were fined for an early morning catch after a community-spirited member of the public blew the whistle on their crabbing and fishing offences in the Daintree area.

The Fishwatch hotline proved effective as the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) was able to respond quickly to the report of illegal crabbing and hand out $2300 in on-the-spot fines.

Port Douglas-based QBFP field officer Warren Egling said the informant called Fishwatch when he noticed suspicious behaviour at a camp on the northern bank of the Daintree River on Sunday, June 17.

“He recognised the large camp and boats from a previous occasion when he found a large number of undersize and female crab shells on the beach,” Mr Egling said.

Two patrol officers launched a vessel from Daintree River boat ramp early Monday morning and went directly to the site.

“We observed two boats and a large camp on the northern side of the river mouth,” Mr Egling said.

“We carried out a search and found a quantity of mud crabs with their carapace removed, female mud crabs and undersize fish. A number of unmarked crab pots were found to be in use.”

One offender was served with $1300 worth of Fisheries Infringement Notices (FIN) for having in his possession crabs with their carapace removed, female mud crabs, undersize fish and using unmarked crab pots.

Two other people were issued FINs of $500 each for using unmarked crab pots.

Mr Egling said the fines were a reminder to crabbers and fishers that rules were in place to protect the popular species.

Offending recreational fishers can expect the following FINs if QBFP catch them doing the wrong thing:

· take or possession of undersize fish and crabs: $400
· possession of crabs with carapace removed: $400
· possession of crab claws without the body: $400
· failure to mark crab pots as required: $500.

“Recreational fishing rules for crabbing require that floats are to be marked with your name and the apparatus marked with name and address,” Mr Egling said.

“If no float is used then the rope must have a tag with the owner’s surname on it at the point of attachment to a fixed object.

“We protect crabs and fish to ensure other recreational fishers and future generations can share in good catches for years to come.

“People who suspect illegal fishing are urged to do the right thing and report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116 as soon as possible.

“The quicker you contact the patrol, the faster we can respond and catch offenders in the act.”

For more information on crabbing rules visit http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_3065.htm

split-shot
12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Good to see

netmaker
13-07-2012, 08:13 AM
bet they were feeling really safe in such a location too.

gruntahunta
13-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Once again I believe this raises the ageless debate about should we have different laws for differerent parts of QLD. Because Qld is such a large state in size and diversity, the enviroment, econmics and indeed the habitat differs immensly. It could, I imagine, be argued that in the Dain Tree and far North Qld, the mudcrap and fish stocks are plentiful with little chance of being over fished and placing the species in any sort of danger or even reducing numbers so that is hurts any fishing industry, whether commercial or recreational.

I am certainly not an expert nor have researched this in any way but I am sure someone who actually knows this subject can put the facts forward. Would it be so bad if what I said was fact, that some female crabs could be taken and perhaps alter bag/size limits on some fish species that are plentiful. (Lets remember that femae crabs are allowed in NSW and that is next door to us not 1000,s of km's away from Se QLD, and those female crabs are in the same river system. Any Opinions?

Matthew Thompson
13-07-2012, 09:42 AM
In my opinion mate and I am no expert either but if they are plentiful then the qouta system is working and doing the job so every one can go get a feed, no one should need to take more than the limit to get a feed its just greedy. Good work catching these guys!

netmaker
15-07-2012, 09:49 AM
x2. fishing pressure can never reduce from here on in unless someone finds a way of bag limiting humans;). the only reason that we have the stocks we do is because we are a new country. if we want to look into a future of relaxed regulations, we only need look at the fish stocks in places like india and asia. it is a very bleak picture:end: