PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Cruise Craft 580 Outsider.

FisHard
07-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Anyone own one of these or have any info regarding ride, fit out or performance figures?
Thank you :)

johncar
08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi FisHard, I bought a new one of these in about 1990 for around $30,000 BMT all fitted up. I had an Evinrude 130HP on mine and it was possibly my first decent offshore capable boat. I say that because it was just a nice easy to manage and forgiving boat in at sometimes less than nice sea conditions. The thing I like most about it and only appreciated it moreso after I sold it was that what ever direction I pointed it, it just kept going that way and even slipping downhill on some decent waves especially on many night trips it never had any scary behaviors.
I am sorry that I can't give any accurate economy figures but it would more relate to the engine than the boat. I do however remember it ran at about 1.5Kms/litre at a sensible cruise speed
It wasn't the best riding boat on the market at the time but nice and stable at rest, it was a good hull with good low speed planing ability so I could always find a relatively comfortable speed, great to fish out of, quite dry under way as well.
After I sold it in around 1994 I bought a new HH680 which was a great boat also but not as forgiving as the CC after I found myself sideways a few times at night around the Cape in a decent following sea, also put the bow of the HH under a couple of times which never happened in the CC in similar situations.
I would be happy to own one of these CC580's again, haven't seen them come on the market very often. If you are looking at a second hand one just make sure you do all the necessary checks right throughout and if the boat motor and trailer are to your satisfaction you could do a lot worse in a boat choice IMHO

FisHard
08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks Johncar! I believe its the same hull as the 570 Explorer, which I have fished in extensively, and found the same good qualities you've mentioned. Like a lot of us, I'm never satified with what I've got, and on the lookout for some ideal boat! Thank you for your input.

Tickleish
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
G'day Fishhard,

My Grand Father bought one new i the early 90's too. It had a V4 140 Johno on it which today you would think would be under powered but as John said they are very good hull and you don't need a lot of horse power to push them.

He was going from a 40 foot Kevin Dick boat back to a speedy that he could manage himself in retiremnt.

I loved that boat and I think they were way ahead of there time in design and build quality. It is hard to find a good one now though.

Good luck

FisHard
08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks ticleish. That's a sweet rig in your avatar too mate! My grand father was the owner of Millkraft boats in the 50's and I love those old girls :) Appreciate your feedback on the Cruise Craft.

Tickleish
08-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Millkraft have built some classic Moreton Bay boats, I probably know your grand fathers boat if it was in the bay.

Keep us posted if you end up getting one. Would love to see a build thread of someone restoring one to the top of the food chain again.

Good luck

PS the boat in the avatar is called Marylou and that photo is out front of Manly in 1957.