PDA

View Full Version : Engine Box/Engine Room Insulation

ScottB
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi All,

Has any one got any info on some really good sound insulation for engine boxes and rooms? The V8 roar was a novelty to begin with, but after a full day trolling it can get a bit.... monotonous ... so I have decided to get serious with it and see what I can do!

Any info on something designed for marine installations (water/oil proof etc) which will kill a lot of noise would be much appreciated. Not really interested in the standard foam stuff that is available, would prefer to go with something which is multi layered to ensure best performance.

Thanks

Scott

chris69
06-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Have a look at the whitworth site they have it.

Alchemy
06-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I used this stuff from BLA. Worked very well.

http://bla.com.au/shop-online/engine-maintenance/engine-parts/engine-room/32mm-x-1-3m-x-2-4m-decoupled-foam-non-adhesive.html

captain rednut
06-07-2012, 09:50 PM
go to sound control at eagle farm in Brisbane they design and manufacture insulation for your requirements, ive used there products in all the boats that i have fitted inboards to and it works well.
cheers Jim

Midnight
07-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Yep, what Jim said. It is "proper" proven industrial insulation. I used it in my B25 diesel installation and the difference was truly unbelievable. The material I used weighs 4.5kg/m2 and is 1" foam, then the "loaded vinyl", then 1/2" foam and foil.

If it doesn't have the loaded vinyl barrier layer between foam to kill the vibrations, it won't kill the noise.

Cheers,
Myles