PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Question

matty_j
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi,

After we took the boat out on the weekend, we could smell fuel, so we took the floor off and turns out somebody had used some sort of silicon to seal the fuel sender and around the inlet and outlet. The fuel had eaten the silicon and dissolved it into the fuel. So we have drained it and cleaned it.

I'm just wondering what sort of sealant would work best?

I also didn't see any pickup inside the tank? Would it be pressurized?

I've also bought a SARCA anchor and looking for swiveling D Shackles?

I've been to a few fastener places, but they don't know, anybody know of online places that sell them?

Thanks
Matt

Dan5
04-07-2012, 08:58 PM
There would definatly be a pickup there somewhere......as for the sealant Permatex do a petrol resistant version.

With the swivel shackle your better off looking at a ships chandler or a Nobles or Bullivants rigging place........Nobles definatly have them if they are handy to you.

Dan

cormorant
04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Give em a call or email and tell em what has happened and I'm sure they will tell you the right product to use and may even supply it. I don't know what sticks to polethene very well and also survives ethanol but they will and it will comply again. .

Sant Marine Pty Ltd
75 Hartnett Drive
Seaford VIC 3198.
Australia</STRONG>

Tel: +61 3 9786 6111
Fax: +61 3 9786 6222

E-mail:
Sales - sales@santmarine.com.au

EDIT - I can't believe a manufacturer could build a compliant tank without aphysical restraint holding in the sender be it screws or a clip of some form or a completely dissolved non ethanol proof oring or gasket. You could look up the brand of fuel sender. Check you don't have a part missing. Might be worth asking the manufacturer if the tank of that age is OK with ethanol fuels and worth checking your hoses if they are originals as well as they can collapse internally. There may not be room but it is pretty good practice to use 2 clamps on everything to do with fuel especially below decks.