PDA

View Full Version : lubricating Drive Shaft ?

doctorbob
04-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi Guys nearly completed my quinterx reno, I lopped the cuddy cab off me 5.0 cuddy cab and transforming her into topender style open boat, she looks the goods i tell you. Anyway I am now trying to free up my gear shift on 75 hp 200 model mercury outboard. It operates ok but seems very stiff to engage forward and reverse. It is managable for me but less so for my 12 year old son. I have removed gear cables off motor and gear shift is very free with no resistence felt in cables. I am assuming that the problem lies with the gear shaft with perhaps some corrosion present. I have trie lots of inox and crc but dont seem to be winning the battle. Do any of you know of any magic product which will penetrate down into shaft housings etc as a first option prior to hjaving to get powerhead etc removed so shaft and seals can be inspected. I assume the head would have to be removed and leg as well.
Kind regards Rob

doctorbob
04-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Should have said shift shaft i think

cormorant
04-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Can you manually change the gears on your motor using your fingers? Just checking that it is not the cables angle , turn / final attachment to the motor that is making it stiff.

Forcing it a lot will only end in tears. Has it always been stiff or just stiffened up?

Here is a parts diagram - the o-ring and area around part 39 is where it lacks lubrication and gets salt gunge buildup. I have guessed your model but most are the very similar ( bugger selected a tiller model by accident)

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/3374_275.cfm

Shift lever and bushing part 23

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/3374_160.cfm

It will likely only require the dropping of the leg ( only linkages under cowl and once leg is dropped you can easily discern if it is the linkage that is stiff) as it will probably be stiff as it goes into the top of the gearbox. Every annual service when the impeller is serviced a good mechanic will check the change lever seal/ oring and ensure it is smooth and easy. If you haven't had it serviced for teh impeller get it done and have the gearchange looked at while it is apart.

doctorbob
05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
What's the best and safest way to heat shift shaft and lubricate
Rob

gazza2006au
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
remove both ends of your throttle cable and gear cable at the control box and engine to rule them out if they are both easy to slide than lower the gearbox and lift/push the gear selecting rod to see if thats the problem if it is the selector fork might be binding inside the gearbox

Fed
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure this would apply to your motor Bob although it is for a '97 model they don't tend to change their thought processes from year to year.

If your shift shaft lever feels OK with the shift cable disconnected it could easily be an adjustment problem with your throttle pre-load being too tight and causing it to bind as you go in & out of gear.
Pay special attention to the piece of paper.;)
The free genuine manual costs you nothing to download.

doctorbob
04-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Control box and cables move freely disconnected from motor. Spending a bit of time lubricating shaft tomorrow, still very stiff to change into forward and reverse
Rob.

Fed
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
But did the shift shaft lever move freely with all both the control cables disconnected?

doctorbob
05-08-2012, 08:28 PM
No luck freeing the shift shaft today. I removed the oil reservoir/ tank to allow better access and rigged up piece of tubing to pour in inox in the hope of freeing up shaft. also tapped shaft with hammer and timber to see if I could break corrosive grip. with cables removed I am unable to engage grs by sliding shift bar and turning prop. I don't know if problem is in lower leg or under cowl

Fed
06-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Drop the leg off so you know where the problem is.