PDA

View Full Version : Monstered on Arti's

Scalem
04-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Too much work, not enough play saw me asking the boss to take a week off this week. All the pressure of finishing end of financial year strongly in a depessed economy has taken its toll. Slipped a few K this qtr, but year to date I'm still ahead, so if you have holidays, why not, even if it is short notice.

Matt Chew also has a little time to himself, so the call was made to fish around the cape where at least we had a few options should the weather predictions be wrong.
We followed a w/sw wind across the bay from Scarby, too easy. Headed around comby, this is getting a little worse .... then up to the cape to find the swell pushing up against the wind, now gusting to 20 knots. A couple of times both of us appreciated being in a very capable blue water boat, anything less would have had us drenched in seawater. Brennans, nada, back of flinders, an under red throat emporer at 40cm... Time was ticking, lets go for broke and hope the wind will ease as it was predicted to, my marks around hutchies were clearly visible on the GPS. In only 10 mins we had arrived, lots showing on the sounder, donuts again. Tried everything, even strip baits of Tim D's mack tuna he kindly donated to the freezer after the meet and greet. Time for another move to spot X to see if Kingies were home there.
1st drop of jigs, double hook up, my line went "ping" which saw me tieing a well practiced FG knot on 40lb. Down we go again, this time only a smaller 50 grammer - would not have been possible fishing so light without a parachute anchor slowing our drift down. The next hour or two was absolute mayhem, I can't recall the events step by step, but suffice it to say Matt asked a few times " can you start the motor mate, this is a $#@&% big fish" and I can't beleive I've been done again, especially on the good gear Matt owns.. He might elaborate later. The fish we DID get in were to around 80cm, took 3 home for the table.
So Matt, thanks for coming out with me mate, always a good day when you crew for me, I had a whale of a time ( yer, they were around in numbers , scared the pants off me too)

Wouldnt you know it, when we got back to Moreton Island for this quick snap the water glassed out, even the trip across the bay was a dream with the wind that plagued us all day finally deciding to ease up.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/MattsKingie.jpg

Scalem

carnster
04-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Exciting times guys, nice rainbow runner.

thelump
04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I thought that looked like a Rainbow Runner. At least you got out and into them Brian. Well done. Hey mate I'm pretty sure Red Throat only need to be 38cm too.

MEG-A-BITE
04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Great read and unlucky not to land one of the big ones.Do you think all the fish were YTK or AJs?

Scalem
04-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Kings, ajs and sharks were around too. One followed a small fish up to the boat and darted away around 3 Mtrs under the boat. We lost about 4 jigs each making it an expensive day but enjoyable. I will have to understand my sounder better, in one drift there were thick bands of red close to the bottom surrounded by arches (presume schools of bait closeed in by bigger fish) and in the same drift more scattered big arches top to bottom. Would be nice if the sounder could name the fish I am looking at, but whatever they were both Matt and I are stuffed. Too much excercise for desk jockeys like us. either we start going to the gym or need to do this more often. Let's take a vote on it?

rosco1974
04-07-2012, 05:27 PM
bad luck mate you must be due to get onto a good feed soon mate although 3 is still a feed.u need to come for a run with me mate will show ya a few tips...
cheers rosco

TimD
04-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Sounds like a good trip Brian :thumbsup:

Did Matt mistake that Rainbow Runner for a kingie ??

Sounds like you will be in need of some more jigs soon mate, you must almost be out by now. We can do another order when i get some funds together, way too many bills at the moment :(

cheers tim :)

TimD
04-07-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Red Throat only need to be 38cm too.

Yeah you right mate, 38cm and a bag limit of 8 :thumbsup:

bad luck mate you must be due to get onto a good feed soon mate although 3 is still a feed.u need to come for a run with me mate will show ya a few tips...
cheers rosco

Yeah rosco, brian and i will have to come for a run in the cat soon and you can teach us your floatlining techniques. I'll man the poofter rod for you too if you like ;D

rosco1974
04-07-2012, 06:19 PM
nah mate is all good.u need to learn how to use your own rod to catch fish..that 1 is already has already been broken in..

TimD
04-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Yeah i might have to bring my Egrell/Saltiga combo since it hasnt been blooded yet. Its only caught 2 kingies around 80cm and 3-4 cobia around the metre mark. I guess i could well and truly blood it on some 40-50cm squire onboard the cat :P

rosco1974
04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
too heavy a combo tim.leave your broomsticks at home..

scalem just go the gym.u need pretty big shoulders to carry tim on every trip out..
cheers rosco

Scalem
04-07-2012, 08:05 PM
One of the 3 is definitely a Kingie, more slender body and no markings. Flesh is slightly darker also. Didn't matter to us our fridges were bare back home so this was definitely an attempt to restock and have some fun doing it.

Scalem
04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I thought that looked like a Rainbow Runner. At least you got out and into them Brian. Well done. Hey mate I'm pretty sure Red Throat only need to be 38cm too.
Thanks Jason I pulled out my booklet to check size limit, so may have misread it. Geez it was a washing machine out there! The fish looked a little on the small side. I had pretty much made up my mind to let it go before looking it up.

Scalem