PDA

View Full Version : Great Rescue

Jarrah Jack
03-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks to SurferSteve who posted this on fishnet. Beautifully written report of the rescue of the crew of Inception by TryBooking.com in the Melbourne to Port Fairy race easter 2012 . Some great seamanship in extreme conditions.

http://www.trybooking.com/html/download/grant/TryBookingSeaRescue_Final.pdf

cobiaman
03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
What a scary, scary night for all boats involved

stevemid
04-07-2012, 07:36 AM
J.J: you're right. what great seamanship. At least with a sail boat you know that big lump of lead in the keel will keep you or bring you upright. I guess with a power boat you just have to be that much more conservative about going out.

As an S&S34 owner, I going to say, "don't go out at all in a Beneteau" but then a good friend of mine was winched off his S&S34 a couple weeks ago off Byron Bay.

Steve

No Excuses
04-07-2012, 03:10 PM
That is truely a great read. I felt like i was riding the experience as i read through that. Well done to the skipper of the rescue.

Still_Dreamin
05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
what a great read. never understood ocean racing

Portacol
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Surely you cannot read that and not get emotional. Heroes!

TheRealAndy
08-08-2012, 10:08 PM
As an S&S34 owner

We call them slow and slower!!! Nice looking boat thought!

Anyway, great read.We did a MOB drill on the endeavour (200nm out to sea) and its hard enough on a calm day. I have also sailed a few times in 50knot+ winds and how you can rescue anyone in those conditions is beyond me. Good on the crew of trybooking. For the skipper and crew to rescue those lads in those conditions show the skill and dedication of all involved.

And the poor lads in the water; anyone who has done any professional training will have done their Survival at Sea course, and those offshore lifejackets are awful things. Doing that training in a swimming pool is nothing, imagine doing it in big seas?? Fark that.

One thing I can say, is that I have always had it drilled into me to keep the life raft tethered and un-inflated until such time as you are ready to get into it. Tether should not be cut until all men are onboard or if the ship is going down. You can buy devices (hydrostatic release) that will cut the line automatically if ship goes down.

Noelm
09-08-2012, 08:35 AM
When I did my "survival at sea" we had to put on our jackets (fully clothed) and jump into the water in the middle of winter, then we had to get to the liferaft ( that the instructor had flipped upside down) I had to be the "unconcious" person, and the others had to get themselves in the raft, while hanging on to me, then drag me in and make sure I was "alive" and all this was in a harbour, in any sort of seas it would have been near on impossible.

TheRealAndy
09-08-2012, 03:13 PM
When I did my "survival at sea" we had to put on our jackets (fully clothed) and jump into the water in the middle of winter, then we had to get to the liferaft ( that the instructor had flipped upside down) I had to be the "unconcious" person, and the others had to get themselves in the raft, while hanging on to me, then drag me in and make sure I was "alive" and all this was in a harbour, in any sort of seas it would have been near on impossible.

We did the same.

ITs also pretty hard to get back on the deck of a sailing boat. When I go swimming of mine, its a real pain in the arse to get back on board. Imagine trying that after being in the water for a few hours. I have spent plenty of time swimming around capsized dingies in moreton bay 30knot south easters, does not take much time in the water before you are sapped.