Cheers
Chimo

Jakers 69
02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Looks awesome , nice work.

The Woo
03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Looks excellent Chimo!
What's the story behind it mate? Did Opti source it for you?

Chimo
03-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Opti did indeed. He had some left over from his build which he generously offered on here and I was lucky enough to win one which I then had chopped and changed and fitted onto modified stainless on the boat. Cooler and waterproof which the original sunbrella was no longer.

Thanks again Opti!

C
C

fishfeeder
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Mate that looks great...

Can you put some more pictures up

Cheers
Brett

Chimo
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Brett

What do you want to see?

The existing Seafarer ss bimini support was cut under the rocket launcher and plates fitted on the cut ends which then went under and above the FRP so the height is similar to as was. New support bars were fitted to the front of the FRP and these are aligned to the windscreen slope and attached to the cuddy sides. The FRP was trimmed to shape, the radar support ie a tonne of cement sheet with glass covering was removed and white flocoted on the underside. Both the SS and the FRP guy did a good job.

C
C

chris69
03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Hi there chimo do you think you have reduced the top weight or add top weight?

fishfeeder
03-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Chimo, I was just wondering what it looked like as a side on shot.. I think it looks great and very strong and from your photo it looks to follow the lines of the boat nicely...

Cheers
Brett

finga
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Good one Pete.
Opti is one of those blokes you don't forget in a hurry eh?
What a dinky-di sort of bloke :)

The top looks great and I bet it does it's job beautifully.

For those who may be interested....I have the hard top molds now so if you want a lend give me a cooee..
There is the top bit (that Pete has shown) and there is another mold to make the bottom side where a dash panel has been incorporated so you can mount radios etc etc in the hard top.

Chimo
03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally the top looked like this which was changed with some trimming and chopping.

Greg P
03-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Looks top class - well done.That boat is a mess inside but :-X;D

tenzing
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Looks great Chimo. Good to see a plan come to life eh.
Who did the steel mate, looks lovely.
How are clears attaches to frp. , and do you get any leakage from the glass windows on yours?
Cheers
Brendan

Midnight
03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Looks great mate, job well done. Nothing better than a good hard top.

Cheers,
Myles

Chimo
03-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi Brendan

Who did the steel mate, looks lovely. John Schippers, used to work for Seafarer so he did the original SS too. Aczel Marine did the FRP and fitted the FRP to the SS as he took the top off to trim it after it was mounted onto the SS The two guys are in different workshops but they cooperated nicely to get this done.
How are clears attaches to frp. The clears attach to the SS same as they did originally, attachment positions were not changed,
, and do you get any leakage from the glass windows on yours? The glass doesn't leak, no issues with the glass / clear interface or the clear / FRP interface so far.

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Chris

As per our discussion.

Chimo

finga
03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Oi Pete.....what size did the roof get trimmed down to??
If I remember correctly the original is about 2.3m wide and about 2.4m long??

The after picture looks terr-bloody-rific compared to the before picture matey. :)

EdBerg
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
For those who may be interested....I have the hard top molds now so if you want a lend give me a cooee..
There is the top bit (that Pete has shown) and there is another mold to make the bottom side where a dash panel has been incorporated so you can mount radios etc etc in the hard top.

I sent a message to you

Cheers

Ed

Chimo
04-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Scott

Wait until it gets warmer and I'll run a tape measure over it.

Suffice to say we cut the return off the rear so it would fit over the rear section of the sunbrella and cover the old interface that used to leak and now doesn't.

Also much of the front "eyebrow" where radios etc could go with part two of the mold was reduced to allow the top of the FRP to be mounted at a similar height as the original sunrella and to maintain visibility but still with an eyebrow for additional front shade.

The sides were cut too. We still picked up extra side shade though.

Not to forget the massive slab of cement sheet that was housed within the top that was originally intended to mount radar etc on was also removed and that reduced the weight considerably too.

All the above changes still allow a couple to lay about upstairs as long as they take their shoes off and sign a waiver!

My fibreglass guy did a good job as he does with construction and repairs but thats why I have stuck with him for more than ten years. (one of his recent jobs which would appeal to you Scott was to cut a 30 something sailing boat in half and add some extra length, so this top was a bit of a doddle)

Still cold outside so later for the metal tape measure!

Cheers

OPTI
04-07-2012, 06:58 AM
ahh looks great mate ,so glad it worked out for you,i knew it would look good on someones boat ,just not mine:'(.looking at that pic makes me want to make another one::)

Chimo
04-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Hey Opti

This time get my glass man to make it for you and you won't have to worry about your boat turning turtle from the excess weight up top.

I couldn't believe the weight of the plate / cement sheet and its covering that was cut out not to mention the bits that came of the rear, sides and front.

Keep the radios etc in the hull and you save a heap of weight up top it would seem.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Chimo

sharkcat 23
04-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Hey Chimo.

Top looks terrific, well done, can you tell me who your glass man is and where hes located. I need a decent fibreglasser in the Gold Coast area.

Thanks
Doug

Chimo
04-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Finga
.what size did the roof get trimmed down to??
If I remember correctly the original is about 2.3m wide and about 2.4m long??

Cut down side to side is now 1.960 m or 77.25" and length is 2.045M or 80.5"
So about .35 off the width and about .35 off the length.

Doug
PM on the way.

Cheers
Chimo

stue2
05-07-2012, 09:38 PM
My family and I were lucky enough to take a ride with Chimo a short while ago. the top is very "trick". made me want one. Its been done quite right. taylor made if you like.

cheers
stu

johncar
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Nice looking job indeed, well done...Starting to appreciate hard tops so long as they're not too heavy as you saying.

ozscott
25-07-2012, 08:44 AM
nice mate!

Cheers

HH565L
25-07-2012, 08:47 PM
ahh looks great mate ,so glad it worked out for you,i knew it would look good on someones boat ,just not mine:'(.looking at that pic makes me want to make another one::)

Sounds good mate. When can I expect delivery ;D;D;D

JJV555
25-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Looks Good Chimo, l missed this posted totally, must have been a sleep when you posted.

I still have issues with the Tinka trailer on my Vaga might need that trailer contact as l gouged the V once again...ouch...

When you get a chance can you pass me the details.

Thanks John

Chimo
26-07-2012, 12:09 PM
PM sent

Cheers
Chimo