PDA

View Full Version : Whales Everywhere

Crisp Bee
02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Woke up and it was a beautiful day. My friend James was going to come out with me. But he ditched me Saturday afternoon, his friend's business caught fire friday night and he was helping them.
I rang 3 usual suspects and none could come. So had a few extra glasses of wine and went to bed. I slept in till 7.30 saw how beautiful the day was, checked the weather reports, so rang around again and the wife's brother was able to come at short notice. Put the boat in at about 10.00, it was so calm I decided to go for hutchies. Stopped at western rocks to jig some bait and view a few whales heading into Moreton Bay.
Went to hutchies and was drifting around with Heaps of whales coming past, saw about 10 groups, maybe more.
Was taking pictures of a group about 50m behind us and heard a wierd sound. looked left and 20m away a whale had surfaced and was now diving and i was looking straight along its back. It would have gone under me, i was wondering where my life jacket was. We were in about 25m of water. I was Too stunned to get the photo, but 3 other whales were with it and they turned and went behind us... 20m away.
I took a few pics with my phone, but none realy captured the size and closeness.

Caught stuff all fish, undersized snapper and cod and wrasse. Santo got a keeper Gold Spot Wrasse and released two undersized Coral Cod, they are so beautiful.

Awesome day out whale watching though.
Ran out and back cruising at around 55km/hr. Kicking myself for not ringing on Saturday night to organise an early start.

WalFish
02-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Those whales make a 6 metre boat feel like a bathtub don't they. I no greenie, but its a very humbling experience to see them so close.

Still_Dreamin
02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Bloody he'll I had to work. The weather looks perfect pity about the fish!

fisho8
02-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah it is that time of year again whales everywhere they will be inside the bay in numbers to and they come out of nowhere awsome day out mate at least you got out on the water and had what people pay upwards of $200 to go and see for free.

kingcray
02-07-2012, 09:06 PM
very cool mate. 2 years ago we had em like that around th eboat in the Pearl Channel. So awesome to see. Buggers scared away all the mackerel though! managed a few pics

kingcray
02-07-2012, 09:08 PM
bit scary when they come right up real close to ur 4m tinny though

shy guys
02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
We wee out all Friday night and most of Saturday we seen a lot of whales the most I Have ever seen I think they were everywhere quite scary when they go under the boat

Goodoo haven
03-07-2012, 06:48 AM
bit scary when they come right up real close to ur 4m tinny though

Yeah, I bet it would be too.