PDA

View Full Version : Marine Carpet ,Good and Bad Points

rocklobster
01-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi Guys ,
I was after some advice concerning marine carpet . I currently have a fibreglass boat in which the floor gets quite slippery with a few fish on it . I was hoping to overcome this with a good quality marine carpet but i am unsure of how easy it will clean and or hold water . Is fish guts easy to clean off it ? All advice appreciated ,
Thanks

BM
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Guys ,
I was after some advice concerning marine carpet . I currently have a fibreglass boat in which the floor gets quite slippery with a few fish on it . I was hoping to overcome this with a good quality marine carpet but i am unsure of how easy it will clean and or hold water . Is fish guts easy to clean off it ? All advice appreciated ,
Thanks

Get one made up for you, edge bound and press stud fitted. Like they do in Caribbeans/Bertrams. Easily removed for cleaning and drying and secure once press studded down.

Scalem
01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
My boat has fixed carpet, and its the dark grey colour which I find extreemly hot under foot in the summer. Crock sandles and extended bimini help, but can't help feeling the darker the colour the hotter it is in the sun. I thought about having the carpet removable by doing what I did in the old boat, using press studs. The spring in the studs needs to be well siliconed or oiled or they will stop working properly, so either will be impossible to clip in or your carpet will move, which is nearly as bad as having a slippery floor. Also, the self tappers that you use for the studs must be sealed properly to avoid water damage into your floor. Lots to consider, but if you end up glueing your carpet in, around 50 bucks will buy you a wet and dry vaccume cleaner that will suck blood and water up in no time. Add some carpet deodoriser and defoamer and it will smell clean enough to sleep in. Just don't forget to empty the water with blood in it, it will have you dry reaching if you smell it a few days later if you have forgotten as I did once.

Scalem

BM
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Salem, I think quality of press studs is very important. If you jump into any old Bertram 25 with factory fitted carpet you'll generally find the press studs working fine. No doubt there are varying qualities out there. The quality studs you actually purchase based on spring tension. I guess cheapies will have similar options too.

But yeah, your right in what you say if the issues mentioned become a reality.

tenzing
01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
My boat is carpeted , and I have a 2m X 2m piece of marine carpet that I keep rolled up on the trailer that I throw in when setting the boat up for a trip.
It doesnt slide around and gets all kinds of crap on it.
We chuck it on the driveway and give it a hose off when cleaning up.
Leave it to dry then roll it up again.
Had the same piece 5 years , and both it and the boat carpet look fine
Cheers
Brendan

chris69
01-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Yer dark colours and summer dont mix had the grey still hot, but at bunnings they have a mixed grey mottled colour the seems to be lots better in summer and hides blood well but as others have said it just washes off and i just use a banister brush on it for any fish bits and when the mackerel or tuna bleed every were just a good hose when you get home and all clean,sand is the only real killer for the carpet got to wash your feet before getting in,ive had it glued in the boat for 4years now no ploblems yet.

ozscott
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
i fitted dark blue some years ago and love it. Feels nice on the feet and you don't slip. Easy to wash. Cheers

Axl
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
My boat is carpeted , and I have a 2m X 2m piece of marine carpet that I keep rolled up on the trailer that I throw in when setting the boat up for a trip.
It doesnt slide around and gets all kinds of crap on it.
We chuck it on the driveway and give it a hose off when cleaning up.
Leave it to dry then roll it up again.
Had the same piece 5 years , and both it and the boat carpet look fine
Cheers
Brendan

That is some great advice and something that I will keep in mind thanks tenzing.

Chas & Clarry
02-07-2012, 06:20 AM
=Scalem;1398314 Lots to consider, but if you end up glueing your carpet in, around 50 bucks will buy you a wet and dry vaccume cleaner that will suck blood and water up in no time. Add some carpet deodoriser and defoamer and it will smell clean enough to sleep in.
Scalem

Thanks for that Scalem, we have never had carpet until our current boat, it is stuck in. This is a good idea.

Lucky_Phill
02-07-2012, 07:14 AM
have a squizz at this first...

http://www.matworld.com.au/matting-products/pvc-strip-anti-fatigue-matting/vynalite-tube-mat

I have gone away from carpet. This product is used by a lot of charter operators. Sort of depends on how many slimey Cobia etc you drop on the floor of the boat.

cheers LP

Spaniard_King
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
I got rid of the carpet in my boat as it took ages to dry as my boat now lives in a shed. Paid for a fiberglasser to grind back the floor and apply a flow coate and silica mix with good results... flooor is great now easy to clean.. good grip probly have to get it done every 4 years or so... had it 18 months like that now

Scalem
02-07-2012, 07:33 AM

http://www.matworld.com.au/matting-products/pvc-strip-anti-fatigue-matting/vynalite-tube-mat

I have gone away from carpet. This product is used by a lot of charter operators. Sort of depends on how many slimey Cobia etc you drop on the floor of the boat.

cheers LP

Hey Phil, I have a strip of something similar cut to about 1.5mtrs just for the back of the boat that helps the esky to stop sliding and also to help keep our feet comfy as we fish at the back

Noelm
02-07-2012, 08:06 AM
only one good thing about carpet, and that is, it looks good, apart from that it is shit, stays wet forever, stinks, hooks get caught in it, and carpet that is not glued down is even worse, even the best press studs pop off just as you lean over the side, (trust me I know)

ozscott
02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
mine dries in the sun well and never smells save for fabric softener/detergent...but needs the sun to dry - so covered and in the shed might take a while I reckon.

Cheers

rocklobster
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks to all ,Some great advice . I will probably give it a miss . I dont need extra cleaning when we get home .

fat-buoy
03-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I went to BCF and bought a few metres of carpet and simply cut it out to shape.. the pedestal seats are the only thing holding it into the boat as such and I have had no issue with it whatsoever.. I got a dark blue colour with a ridged design and it gives good grip and is comfy.. as for cleaning I simply hose it off at the end of a trip and leave it.. so far it seems to be fine and I am very happy with it for a hundred bucks or so.

Dan5
03-07-2012, 10:13 AM

cheers LP

I have had the same matting in my last 2 boats and we used to have it on the charter boats aswell.........good to walk on and easy to clean.
It's a bit exxy to buy but once you have it you won't use anything else...

It is heavy so it stays put.....I use the light grey to try and keep the heat out of it but living in the tropics everything gets hot in the sun.......dark carpet up here is nearly impossible to walk on sometimes.

One really good thing about the tube mat is you can take it out and water blast it on the concrete........fish guts etc just dissapears and the matting seems not to hold any smell.

A tip for cleaning stinky boat carpet is to use granulated pool chlorine.......we used to use it on some pro boats for cleaning and disenfectant.........also kills any smell.

Dan

netmaker
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
i love carpet:smitten:. all my knives, pliars, pfd's, ashtrays, stubbie holders, crab measurer, capacity label, lifejacket sticker, led lights are all attached via velcro. $30 bunnings rubber mat on floor - all good.