PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of out of date flares and epirb.

paullee
30-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi im wondering what to do with old flares and MT300 epirb. Figure i shouldnt just toss them in the bin so does anyone know the correct disposal procedure?

LoungeLizard
30-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Hand it in at the nearest VMR/Coast Guard, or the EPIRB in the collection bins in any Battery World store

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Flare-disposal-locations.aspx

Bros
30-06-2012, 10:45 AM
A lot of VMR's take old flares and Battery World used to take the old EPIRB but they were complaining it was costing them money so I don't know now. You can toss the EPIRB in the bin OK but make sure you remove the battery so it is not set off by the compactor.
Don't bin the flares though go to your local VMR or AVCG and ask them and they will know or go here http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Flare-disposal-locations.aspx

ozynorts
30-06-2012, 12:09 PM
How many people have actually fired flares? It is all well and good having them in your boat but if you have never used them before it can be tricky. Check in with your local VMR and see if they can organise a day and time that you can dispose of your old flares by firing them off. They may not be able to organise it but it can't hurt to ask!

dnej
30-06-2012, 01:06 PM
ozynorts.
I tried all that, but once they are out of date, you cant even do that > I spent months trying to organise a day, or night. Dam shame really. The only way would be to get a heap of users together, on nearly out of date flares.
David

Bros
30-06-2012, 01:09 PM
ozynorts.
I tried all that, but once they are out of date, you cant even do that > I spent months trying to organise a day, or night. Dam shame really. The only way would be to get a heap of users together, on nearly out of date flares.
David

Quite correct as when they are out of date they then become an explosive as far as legislation is concerned.

ozynorts
30-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Good point. Does make sense. Still if you could get a group together with flares almost expired it would be useful. I was lucky and got to fire some on a course a few years ago. The looks of surprise on some peoples faces when the go off is interesting. Some almost drop them as they have no idea what to expect. Imagine you are in the pooh and someone drops the flare in the water or worse in the boat because they had no idea what was going to happen when it fires!!

littlejim
30-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Overseas most people seem to dispose of the out of date flares at a soccer match.

bf90
30-06-2012, 08:42 PM
The front entry of my local cop shop in loganholme has a metal garbage can that says all expired flares and epirbs in this bin please, I dont know if it is just this one cop shop or if all of them do it. Jump on the blower and find out if your local cop shop does it as well. Cheers, Brad.

paullee
01-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys all good info i will let you know the outcome after making a few enquiry's....

WalrusLike
01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Quite correct as when they are out of date they then become an explosive as far as legislation is concerned.

Not having a go at you Bros because you are no doubt correct..... but surely the VMR could still do it? There is no way any authority would prosecute them for such a sensible use of the expired flare.... surely??

Bros
01-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Not having a go at you Bros because you are no doubt correct..... but surely the VMR could still do it? There is no way any authority would prosecute them for such a sensible use of the expired flare.... surely??
No it can't be done it even states it in the permit you get before you can have a flare display.

tenzing
01-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I handed mine in at my local coastguard last week.
Nobody said it was a problem, I was launching and just said "here you go " and left.
Cheers
Brendan

wayno60
01-07-2012, 11:55 AM
New years eve is another good time to let em orf...!!!!!!maybe not.

bluefin59
01-07-2012, 03:23 PM
VMR at sandgate has taken all my old ones and they have a flare use day occasionally,and my old epirb I just unscrewed the base and took the battery out and tossed it in the bin to easy ..Matt

TheRealAndy
01-07-2012, 04:09 PM
VMR at sandgate has taken all my old ones and they have a flare use day occasionally,and my old epirb I just unscrewed the base and took the battery out and tossed it in the bin to easy ..Matt

VMR Sandgate does not take out off date flares, nearest point is CG Redcliffe.

cormorant
01-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Just a warning with the batteries in old epirbs. If discharged quickly or direct shorted they can expolde and are like a bomb. Hand them in so they don't start a fire at the dump or in the garbage truck. There are instruction on amsa website and the manufacturers website on how to open and pull the leads off. ie undo screws and remove leads. - remove battery.

If VMR were to supply a batch of flares all with the same expiry date then as they were about to expire they could do a flare day within the regs and we would all get a go hands on like the old days. Laws these days make even the simple things hard.

If you do the survival at sea courses you get a chance to let em off and use fire extinguishers etc.

Any police staion will accept them if you say the right words - over the counter tell em it is a expired flare, now regarded as a explosive , they will log it in just like old ammo and send it for disposal.

WalrusLike
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
This VMR cant use expired flares nonsense shows how far down the foolishness track we have gone.

Eventually we might all come to our senses and start rolling back this type of idiotic, robotic adherence to legalistic over-regulation.