PDA

View Full Version : how much hp ?

mick.j
29-06-2012, 07:42 PM
hi all looking to power a 1600kg hull and don't want to pay for horse i don't need now i am thinking 175 suzi propped right will do? or should i be 225hp? does any one run a 6m glassy with a 175 and is it to light?

kind regards Mick

Chang Jiang
29-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Mick,

what is the beam of the boat

is it a deep V at transom 20+ degreees ( the angle of the V in the hull)

is 1600 kg with all fuel and people ect on board?

cheers Terry

mick.j
29-06-2012, 09:50 PM
the beam is out at 2.44 from memory its a 19 degree deadrise, on a standard day out extra weight of 100lts fuel, 3 blokes, ice box ect, so about 500kgs extra, boat on water i would say about 2.2tonne max.

cormorant
30-06-2012, 01:04 AM
The other question is what cruise speed do you want / expect? At what speed does the hull start to perform as designed as you need to be able to hold that speed in average conditions without overloading your motor. With that weight does it have heaps of windage from a full cabin?

Seems a very heavy 6m boat? What is it?

As comparison a haines Patriot 7 is 1500kg 21deg 400kg plus in fuel plus water and 225hp plus to get any performance when loaded.

6.2 Vagabond

Seafarer Vagabond 6.2m
Length: 6.2m
Beam: 2.4m
Weight: 1300kg approx.
Deadrise: 21 degrees
Power: Max. 250hp
Fuel: 340 litres
Price: From $85,900 with Suzuki 150.
Contact: Haines Group on (07) 3271 4400; website at: www.seafarerboats.com (http://www.seafarerboats.com/)

The Vagabond is one Seafarer with as much appeal to family boaties as dedicated anglers. The sleek cuddy cabin with forward hatch and accompanying bow rail offers excellent weather protection and would sleep parents plus a couple of youngsters easily. Upholstery in the fully lined cabin is plush, with a full sized V bunk for the family to sleep on. There's provision for a toilet.
A bimini on a folding frame assisted by heavy duty clears offered ample weather protection. Six rod holders were mounted on the aft section of the bimini frame and complemented the four other rod holders on the gunwales.
The carpeted cockpit offered well over two metres of fishing room and to take care of the catch an under-floor storage area nestled between front seats. Aft storage was also assisted by very large rod rack equipped side pockets set up off the floor - anglers could get a toehold under these when fighting big fish.
Other cockpit features included rails, a split fold down four-person rear seat with padded back rest plus a live well in each transom corner.
Again, ride and handling were impressive, to put it mildly. The 6.2m Vagabond is rated for up to 250hp (single) or 230hp with twins. The 225 Suzuki fitted had the Vagabond planing at 10.2 knots at 2400rpm while 3000 rpm saw 19.4 knots on the GPS. A burst at WOT saw 6,200 rpm on the tacho at a speed of 45.3 knots.
The 225 Suzuki was a willing yet quiet sort of beast, with driver input via the throttle lever resulting in surging power from astern the instant the forward control lever moved. In between fishing outings a family group could enjoy tow sports with this rig with ease.
When running offshore on the Gold Coast in sloppy conditions we stayed dry, courtesy of the Seafarer's clean and free running hull which sports a mass of around the 1300kg mark and benefits from a 21 degree deadrise at the transom.
Overall, the Seafarer Vagabond 6.2 is the sort of fishing craft that will fulfill multiple roles.

johncar
30-06-2012, 08:40 PM
hi all looking to power a 1600kg hull and don't want to pay for horse i don't need now i am thinking 175 suzi propped right will do? or should i be 225hp? does any one run a 6m glassy with a 175 and is it to light?

kind regards Mick

175HP is in the mid range with many 6 metre glass boats and as you said propped correctly should be plenty, assuming that the transom is designed to take that weight and HP.

Hossfish
01-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Good day Mick

My new boat is a 6.4m glass job. Recommended power range is 115hp to 225 hp. It came equipped with a 130hp yamaha saltwater series 2 as a package deal at the Brissy boat show last year.

I was a bit apprehensive as to wheather i had enought ponies on the back however the sales folk i spoke to said there would be no problems.

Now admittedly i have only had the boat out about 8 times andi am still getting used to it but one trip was from Scarborought to Tangalooma and return.

We had 5 adults, 2 kids, food,drinks and picinic gear for the day, about 100 litres of fuel and about 60 litres of water. i estimated our weight to be about 1800-2000kg all up. So far it looks like i am getting about 1kph of speed for each 100rpm. So we did the run each way at about 4800-4900rpm and that yeilded about 48-49 kph.

Now i think someone else asked the question of how fast do you want to go. The speed i can achieve more than meet my requirements and i still have about 1000rpm up my sleeve if i am feeling really reckless and the price of fuel is not an issue (we all wish). Some of the answer will depend on how many $$$ you want to spend on the motor and how much you want to spend on fuel, maintanance, etc.

Not sure where you are based Mick but I have been out on the Moreton bay enough times to realise that a lot of the time you cant use all the power at your disposal with a big donk.

Hope everyone enjoys their boating.

Regards Greg

stevej
01-07-2012, 07:21 PM
only 100 litres in a 6m boat?

thylacene
01-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Mick,

We run a 6.3m Caribbean reef runner with a full screen and hardtop with a 175 4stk Suzuki. Had it on the weigh bridge last week. Boat with the normal gear we carry and a full tank of full comes in at 2020kg without people, planes at 13.5 knots cruises happily at 25knots, and wot at 37 knots. Very happy with the setup, 0.6 l/km in calm water anywhere from 15 to 25 knots, gets thirsty after 25. Hope this helps

Hossfish
02-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi Stevej.

The boat has a capacity of 170 litres but 100 lts gave me plenty of range for the trip with ample reserves.

I try not to leave too much fuel sitting in the tank in case it is a while between trips.

I have heard mixed opinions in regards to fuel going stale after a while.

And last but not least with the price of fuel the way it is why put a sh..load more fuel in the tank than you need as you are just carting weight around you don't need to.

Regards Greg

odes20
03-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Running a Suzy 175 on my Yalta 6.1 meter with all gear. Heaps of power. WOT 6100 @ 73 Kms per hour