PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Gauges?

Straitened Out
28-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I've decided to trade the '86 2 str 70 Yammie on a new 4 banger 70 Yammie and I need the brains trust to tell me whether I should invest more of my hard earned on some fancy gauges. I don't have a fancy sounder [not much point as I'm almost colour blind anyway!] if that helps.
Cheers
S.O.

johncar
28-06-2012, 09:26 PM
You have various gauge options these days, I wasn't all that keen on my Yamaha Digital gauges as I find them hard to see with any sort of daylight on them, but they do give more engine and fuel data which is useful if you are interested in maximising performance and economy.

If it were me I would probably consider getting it with no gauges at all or just the most basic ones if needed for all your alarms and so forth and additionally interfacing the engine with a GMI 10 or two, https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11625&ra=true
or a compatible GPS Map unit to show the additional data. Depends on your budget and whether you think it's worth it to you.

My current setup I just have the basic Suzuki gauges but engine is also networked to my Garmin GPSMap where I have the relevant engine and fuel data on the screen so I only have to look at one thing and I find that convenient, nice and easy to see as well in any light.

Dan5
28-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Something like this?

Straitened Out
29-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I guess, if I'm honest, the only info I need, other than the usual alarms, is related to the optimum speed/revs/fuel consumption. At the moment, I rely on gut instinct for that, with input from the noise of the motor. Now the salesman tells me I won't be able to use the motor noise factor LOL with the newy.
Cheers
S.O.

TheSaint
29-06-2012, 10:30 AM
You only really need a digital tacho to help with the revs & prop set up..

spelchek
29-06-2012, 10:52 AM
You'd get better value of going for a (relatively) cheap nmea2000 compatible GPS unit and plugging your engine strait into that (with the necessary nmea2000 accessories of course). You'll not only have a new GPS (and sounder in a combo), you'll get all your engine data available at the touch of a button. I really only use the fuel remaining and the km/l readings but it's nice to be able to see engine temp etc when I wish.

IMHO the yammi smart gauges are far overpriced for what you get - but having said that, if they offer the functionality you need and are cheaper than the GPS/nmea setup they may be the right choice for you.

Edit - your colour-blindedness will not exclude you from getting good use out of a 'fancy' sounder.

Moonlighter
29-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Something like this?

Nice, Dan! A while ago Suzuki were doing deals where you could get 2 of those GMI 1-'s for free instead of std analogue gauges - did you get in on that ripper deal?

I've got my Zuke networked to my 2 HDS5's and the std analogue gauges, unfortunately the GMI-10 deal wasnt around when I bougt mine 2 years ago otherwise Id have a dash just like yours!

Straigntenedout: I dont know how much the Yammy digital gauges are, another option is a Lowrance LMF400 gauge interfaced via NMEA2000 interface to the Yammy. It will give you everything you need. Just have to do the sums and see how much that setup would cost vs the Yammy digital gauge. You could sub the LMF400 with the full colour display of the Garmin GMI-10, much nicer, but if you're as colour-blind as you reckon, the LMF, being B&W, might be good enough.....! Or, network to a single HDS5 combo unit.

The NMEA setup requires the following parts:

The Yamaha NMEA200 engine interface cable is about $150 from BIAS, plus a NMEA starter kit for about $65 from memory.

Then, just select whichever display you want to put on (proces from BIAS):
Garmin GMI-10 = $750.
Lowrance LMF400 = $350
Lowrance HDS5 combo = $799 (I would pick this option ahead of the GMI-10 as it gets you a GPS and sounder as well for the same price as just the Garmin display).

Cheers

ML

stevemid
29-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Dan5. Saaaweeeet!
Straightened out: I got quoted 3 digital gauges with a pair of Yami 70's, 2 tach's and a multipurpose. Do you get any included with your 70? BTW my quote, without dickering, is attached. What are you paying for your 70?
F70AETL x 2 $18'300
Premium 6Y8 rigging kit with dual binnacle control $2'200
Alloy props x 2 $260
Prices include GST but not installation

Steve

Straitened Out
29-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Dan5. Saaaweeeet!
Straightened out: I got quoted 3 digital gauges with a pair of Yami 70's, 2 tach's and a multipurpose. Do you get any included with your 70? BTW my quote, without dickering, is attached. What are you paying for your 70?
F70AETL x 2 $18'300
Premium 6Y8 rigging kit with dual binnacle control $2'200
Alloy props x 2 $260

Prices include GST but not installation

Steve
My quote atm is F70AETL $9995
Control Box & Stndrd Gauges $700
Prop $250
Fuel Filter $130
Fitting/Cables approx $500
Cheers
S.O.

thelump
29-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Mate I have them on my F115 and reckon the best thing is the fuel usage and total fuel used. The speed and litres/km will not give true readings if heading into the current so the LPH used in conjunction with GPS will give you accurate fuel consumption.

Dan5
29-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Something like this?

Yeah i got mine with the engine as a package..........I could have either had the 750s or 2 GMI's..........I already had my 4008 and 298 units so i went the GMI's.

I never realised what they were acctually worth until later...........so yeah i sure got a good score with that pair.

They are great for economy figures.......an effective way of working out your best fuel to mileage use.

Really easy to use aswell.

Dan

fin101
30-06-2012, 05:54 PM
I got the new 6Y9 LED gauge with my 225 Yam and it's really good, does and tells everything, you can have any configuration of info you like, one gauge that does it all, night mode, change colours, digital. Neat and tidy and leaves room for other electronics.

Straitened Out
30-06-2012, 05:55 PM
My quote atm is F70AETL $9995
Control Box & Stndrd Gauges $700
Prop $250
Fuel Filter $130
Fitting/Cables approx $500
Cheers
S.O.
Does that seem like a reasonable price to pay? I'm in Hervey Bay.
Cheers
S.O.