PDA

View Full Version : ILLEGAL MODIFICATION TO BOAT COSTS BAYVIEW MAN $7881 - Tiller handle for 200HP motor

QF3 MROCP
28-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Lots happening in NSW lately. I do remember a thread a few years ago highlighting modifications to increase the capacity of fuel tanks without telling your insurance company could null invoid your policy (worth checking the fine print in your current one). Now the courts are having a go as well..

Story from NSW Maritime;

A 31-year-old boat builder from Bayview was convicted of operating an unsafe vessel and ordered to pay $7881 in fines and court costs after making modifications so extensive the stability of the vessel was compromised.

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) Acting General Manager Maritime Operations Trevor Williams said an RMS investigation into the 4.8 metre boat was the first successful prosecution under new unsafe vessel provisions.

“The Magistrate’s decision demonstrates there is an obligation for the owners of vessels to ensure they are safe before operating on the water,” Mr Williams said.

“The vessel had been modified to such an extent that it was literally an accident waiting to happen.”

Mr Williams said modifications included fitting a motor which was too large for the vessel, removing the steering wheel and installing a tiller handle to the 200 horse power motor, removing seating, removing installed fuel tanks and mounting the motor in an unorthodox manner.

“The net effect was to change the vessel’s centre of gravity to such a degree the stability of the vessel was compromised,” he said.

The RMS investigation followed an incident in which the boat owner’s friend, who had borrowed the boat, lost control and received propeller injuries while under the influence of alcohol on the Easter long weekend last year. He was charged separately with navigating a vessel while having a mid-range prescribed concentration of alcohol is his blood.

The matter was heard at Parramatta Local Court, with the magistrate ordering the Bayview man to pay a $1200 fine, $81 in courts costs and $6600 in professional costs to RMS.

28 June 2012

finga
28-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Woohoo. Great news.
Now.....where's all those idiots that do those wheelstands in their boats....you know the gooses with the 50hp motors on the 12' foot tinny with it trimmed right out???

Chas & Clarry
28-06-2012, 08:38 PM
They sound like a well matched pair of friends ::)

chris69
28-06-2012, 08:43 PM
It takes a real man to hold onto a 200hp tiller but for a 4.8mt boat around 4x the hp needed.

Homer_Jay
28-06-2012, 08:46 PM
200hp tiller ..... Now why isn't there a YouTube clip of this!

Ha.... How many beers would it take to come up with that idea??

QF3 MROCP
28-06-2012, 09:26 PM
No idea if this is the one.. Just plucked it off Youtube.. This is from Gosford NSW..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPubYUxcFhs&feature=plcp

v=YPubYUxcFhs

Linedropper
28-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1VwisQVf0

BM
28-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Sounds like some of the ridiculously overpowered boats that seem so popular to some Victorians should be subject of similar fines.::)::)

TREVELLY
29-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Would not be surprised if they had a good lawyer even they would have gotten off in relation to boat build - here is an extract frm National Marine Safety Council - if anyone can be bothered to read this you will find that over 94% of boat owners want standards for boat building but it is not mandatory only recommended:-

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/media/pages_media_files/files/RIS_Final_ABP_%20-%20_1%20May%202003.pdf

1.3 Need for Regulation
Minimum national standards for recreational boats are being pursued to achieve
three of the goals in the National Marine Safety Strategy. The goals are:
1 common standards;
2 safe boats, in particular through the adoption of performance based standards;
and
3 safe users, in particular through encouraging more responsible use of recreational
boats.
There is currently no regulation of construction standards for recreational boats. A
survey of boat owners indicated that they thought that their boats were built to some
standard, and that some minimum standard was supported in the interests of safety.
Boat builders also support a limited set of minimum standards, but not a
comprehensive standard covering all aspects of boat design and construction.
One of the initial reasons for investigating the need for recreational boat construction
standards was a number of coroner’s reports in NSW and Victoria that expressed
surprise that there was no legislated standard to which recreational boats had to be
built (NMSC 2000). More recently, the WA coroner has investigated three fatal
incidents in 2000 and 2001 (involving 5 deaths) in which the standard of recreational
boats was implicated.

The drink driving is a separate issue and yes punishable.

And I am not saying I agree with what is written - in relation to boat build and standards - it is what it is.

deckie
29-06-2012, 06:47 AM
The bloke was pissed operating a vessel and got injured.
Stick a 454 big block in an old wooden 5m ski boat though and its safe is it ?..no problems, thats allowed and u can rego it even it'll sink immediately...hellova weapon though if you're drunk i suppose.

Stick a drunk man with a perfect driving record behind the wheel of a Prius with 28 air bags and a speed limiter and he's also an "accident waiting to happen".

Tell him to get a decent lawyer...may not be the popular view in here or elsewhere coz of the regulation nanny state attitudes these days..."if it saves just one life it'll all be worth it" is the catchcry of the stalinists and fun police that feel they have to make a law to stop you doing anything, or prosecute every damn accident that happens coz accidents arnt possible, someone has to be blamed and pay for it.

The bloke was pissed leading to an accident...having fun more than likely. Didnt hurt anyone else, screwed up, and should be punished for driving under influence...going his mate for having an "unsafe vessel" is horseshit. If he then hops in his rego'd car with bald tyres and over 0.05 he wouldnt cop this bullshit.

Tell the fun police to jam their "conviction" and fine up their #@$! !

Doing wheelies in a a 200hp tiller on a 4.8 may not be my cup of tea, but i respect the right of people to have some bloody fun. If someone is pissed operating any vehicle its an "accident waiting to happen". Local teens want to do standup wheelies in their tinnies for fun...its none of my bloody business when i;m just as likely to hit a quad in a wheelchair getting the boat up the ramp on the way home.

Phew...a solid whinge like that is kind of refreshing on a friday ;D

netmaker
29-06-2012, 07:23 AM
should there be some worried comp fisho's out there? 200 horsies on a 14 footer is all the rage on the dams::).

lucee81
29-06-2012, 07:31 AM
should there be some worried comp fisho's out there? 200 horsies on a 14 footer is all the rage on the dams::).

Been looking into another upgrade?

ozscott
29-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Yep in the US this fellows boat would be on the margins of being under-powered.

His only mistake was a tiller handle :)

Cheers

netmaker
29-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Yep in the US this fellows boat would be on the margins of being under-powered.

His only mistake was a tiller handle :)

Cheers

and lending it to his pisshead mate.

LittleSkipper
29-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Gee! There certainly are some "COWBOYS" out there on our waterways? 200HP on a 4.8mt boat? that's the same length as my Polycraft which is only plated to a max of 80HP.

I'm surprised it didn't rip the transom off? The weight alone on the transom would of been very stressful. Seems we live in a world of "DING DONGS" :hammer:

Swanie1975
29-06-2012, 01:48 PM
kinda hard to judge without seeing it and how it was mounted but id love to have a crack in it - i reckon it would blow what hair ive got left right out;D i reckon hanging on to 200 horses would take fairly big balls:o

kinda depends where and how he was driving it i guess:-? i wonder how much common sense will be applied to interpretation of "an unsafe vessel" or one thats just plain good old fun?

cheers ryan

wirlybird
29-06-2012, 05:15 PM
We are the country of innovation we invented things like the mouse trap the CD and hills hoist all of these people were told they were crazy but kept going and were successful because of an idea. this may not look smart or safe but i can assure you if that boat had a steering wheel it would be un-drivable due to the reaction time of the tiller its possible.

If the government will pull its head out of its arse more ideas would be able to get out.

in the 40's cars doing 100kmh was unheard of now i do 110kmh on my way home from work. sure the car can go faster but the same applies with the boat im sure he isn't going to pin it in a 2 meter swell its all relative.

finga
29-06-2012, 06:36 PM
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
With my luck the only goose who gets hurt when that tosser is on the water would be me.
What if the same attitude happened with tossers in cars?? 500hp in a Mini and then drag racing up and down Wickham Terrace. Yeah. Great idea huh??

The Cook and I nearly had one of those Sku (??) guys run over us one day. The more we tried to get away from the goose the closer he got....all over the shop and no way in hell he could see where he was going. Wankers.

lee8sec
03-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Smart people build them right. Leigh

http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/home/news/news-items/big-tiller-controls-chaos-cat.aspx

lee8sec
03-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1VwisQVf0

I think you will find he builds "legal" boats in cairns. Leigh

stevej
04-07-2012, 02:48 PM
he exceeded the capacity plate of the boat, its a fineable offence in nsw of about $500
someone copped a prop to the face, whether the guy was drunk or not is irelevant "if" due to his modifications this was made possible to happen then drunk or not hes in the shit
you the skipper your responsible

if you apply for boat registration and licensing then abide by the rules, i just wish there were more inspections done to get some people off the water
port hacking and the georges river come to mind as places to target first

The bloke was pissed operating a vessel and got injured.
Stick a 454 big block in an old wooden 5m ski boat though and its safe is it ?..no problems, thats allowed and u can rego it even it'll sink immediately...hellova weapon though if you're drunk i suppose.

Stick a drunk man with a perfect driving record behind the wheel of a Prius with 28 air bags and a speed limiter and he's also an "accident waiting to happen".

Tell him to get a decent lawyer...may not be the popular view in here or elsewhere coz of the regulation nanny state attitudes these days..."if it saves just one life it'll all be worth it" is the catchcry of the stalinists and fun police that feel they have to make a law to stop you doing anything, or prosecute every damn accident that happens coz accidents arnt possible, someone has to be blamed and pay for it.

The bloke was pissed leading to an accident...having fun more than likely. Didnt hurt anyone else, screwed up, and should be punished for driving under influence...going his mate for having an "unsafe vessel" is horseshit. If he then hops in his rego'd car with bald tyres and over 0.05 he wouldnt cop this bullshit.

Tell the fun police to jam their "conviction" and fine up their #@$! !

Doing wheelies in a a 200hp tiller on a 4.8 may not be my cup of tea, but i respect the right of people to have some bloody fun. If someone is pissed operating any vehicle its an "accident waiting to happen". Local teens want to do standup wheelies in their tinnies for fun...its none of my bloody business when i;m just as likely to hit a quad in a wheelchair getting the boat up the ramp on the way home.

Phew...a solid whinge like that is kind of refreshing on a friday ;D

deckie
04-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Whilst you;re at it , check on kids skateboards and roller skates. We need to legislate now. More brain damaged kids resulting from those than what u might think...i'm guessing quite a few more than adults trying to head butt a prop whilst playing silly bugga's on the turps.

Most skateboards and bmx bikes are inherently dangerous when playing silly bugga's...needs some form of gov't body to do an inquiry and pollies to legislate...if they fine the kids $1000 they'll think twice about having fun next time.

One day some poor 10yo is gonna come off right in front of my supermarket trolley wheel. Time to act is now.

Oh God...wont someobody think of the kiddies !!!!
If it saves just one life it will all be worth it !!!!

theangryangler
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Saw a boat similar to the one he was fined for bloke had a tiller extension long enough to sit in front of the boat as any further back she would have flipped. Spoke with him and he reckons it was good for 130k++ offered me and my bro a turn in it but we didnt have a death wish that day so politely said no to him.... to each their own i say! Just stay outa my way!!! :)

finga
06-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Whilst you;re at it , check on kids skateboards and roller skates. We need to legislate now. More brain damaged kids resulting from those than what u might think...i'm guessing quite a few more than adults trying to head butt a prop whilst playing silly bugga's on the turps.
Do you need a license for a skateboard or rollerblades/skates??
Do you need a license for 200hp on the back of a boat?
There are reasons you need a license for one and not the other.
It's assumed people with a license have more common sense then those without a license and it's assumed people with a license use it within the guidelines, or conditions (following rules and laws) of that particular license.
If you want to go and operate these sorts of boats there are boat race meetings. Use them instead of the waterways where I might be sitting around a bend.
Total Tossers these blokes were.

deckie
06-07-2012, 09:28 AM
You dont see the obvious inequity in it all ? You talk of common sense but how about the silly side of society and so called safety ?

We're so intent on legislating, licensing and then going to the enormous trouble and expense of enforcing it that it feeds off itself. We (as adults) arnt even allowed to take 1/5th the risks that a child can...we're perfectly happy to let our children loose with what (by comparison) are just as dangerous and just as likely to injure or kill...but we cant. Half of our laws, licenses and penalties have simply fed of itself over the yrs...no accounting for accidents anymore...must allocate BLAME.

Yes we can argue as adults we're meant to be "responsible" as opposed to kids, and this is what licensing/penalties etc is about...but to me its just as often become about penalising stupidity and accidents which is a zero sum game...it never prevents accidents happening in the future, it just feeds itself.

A tiller steer 200 might be some twits idea of fun, this rather harsh penalty will achieve absolutely nothing except to once again punish an accident. Wont stop another accident, in morelikely to draw other mongs into doing it by highlighting it than having the effect they'd prefer.

Thats the funny part about stupidity...there are limitations to intelligence but absolutely no limitations to stupidity. As a society we're still unsure how to deal with extreme levels of stupidity.

I walk down the beach and first thing i notice are signs, signs fines more signs... effectively threats. Dont walk ya dog, dont dive head first into 1 inch of water, dont park, dont loiter, dont litter, cant do this cant do that...wont be long before there's a sign saying dont drop ya pants and take a runny dump in front of my shop. Yet we allow the very people we try our best to protect to do the most dangerous things LIKELY to injure them.

Its friday..whinge day ;D

Look at murder for instance...since the first caveman clubbed another it has become MORE popular every year no matter how much we threaten and penalise ::)

Bugga it...if we cant whack a tiller steer V6 on a dinghy and go for a hoon...i want skateboards licensed.

deckie
06-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Yes kiddies..look away now...uncle deckie has reached that surly age where he's sick of not being allowed to have fun.

He's sick of all u lot having all the fun. Uncle deckie wants a piece of the action and he's perfectly happy to drag everyone down to his level of stupidity to get it.

finga
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Well stay the hell out of QLD or Northern NSW then.
Do us all a favour and stay in Sydney.

deckie
06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Actually, i;ll be in nth qld early next month...cmon, gimme the address of that farm, i'm feeling dangerous ;D. Let me loose in a paddock or something.

I'll bring a 350 and we can whack it on a wheel barrow or something...got a quad bike i can write myself off on ?

Maybe i should just stay away from any machinery till this mini mid life crisis is over. 8-)

Jarrah Jack
06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Rip[ em up Deckie. Whats happened to WRX hoon anyway?

chris69
06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
So whats the difference to 4.8 mt boat with 200hp and a jet ski with 200hp or more thats 2.4mts long,the guy got what he deserved as he exceeded the build plate but putting in prospective with a jet ski with the power they have these day it all seems a bit odd as to how the work the jet skis out for the horse power they have in them these days for there size.

wirlybird
07-07-2012, 09:34 AM
spot on chris 69 navy FFG's have gas turbines in them that increase their speed by triple! and incat ferry's do 60 knots better stop them as the HP to weight is DANGEROUS!!!!!!

Im sure in 2 years time we will have an electric brush less turbine that looks like an outboard that produces 1000hp and some one will put it on the back of a tinnie and we can all get back on this round about of "But its dangerous" "no its not" Just like Waldorf and Statler in the muppets.

Evolve or die people its your choice. It would be just a lot nicer if the people struggling to keep up with change had more open minds