PDA

View Full Version : Mono verses Multi,glass against aluminium

bigjudge
22-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Blokes at work were arguing over the old argument of multi/mono.I have a mono aluminium no dramas, so does mono aluminium ride better than multi aluminium, does mono glass ride better than multi glass or is multi hull,better than mono hull,i am sure this is an argument that could go on for ever, i personelly think it comes back to how you drive them (there all rough in a 20knts south/easter) so let me know what you all think and i will pass it on.
CHEERS AND BEERS:-?

Spaniard_King
22-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Just Get an Edencraft, go hard or go home :)

Jerk n Wined
22-06-2012, 08:45 PM
An fisho who ownes a mono would say a mono is best, an experience fisho who ownes a mono will say multi is best.

What did you say?

Bull
22-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I think most would agree a glass cat rides the best

gofishin
22-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Which one has E-TEC's....? ;D

TheRealAndy
22-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I have done mono and multi, glass and aluminium. I have driven them, and been passenger, from 0knots breeze to 40knots. I have also been in my rag boat from 0knots to nearly 60knots breeze in moreton bay. If you exclude commercial boats:

Most uncomfortable boat I have been on is an Ausfish member, not going to say who or what, but it was made of aluminium.

Best boat, a haines glass boat, the biggest one. Next best was an old seafarer. We did rescues in haines v17 and v19

Scariest in moreton bay in big seas, a 30foot kevla cat, followed by by a 27foot cat.

Stuart
22-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I have been in glass cats that ride like shit. I have been in plenty of mono hulls that ride great.
Soe will say if you own a cat you have one boat to many. I like cats, but you cant compare a cat with a mono.
There are so many different factors involved between even two models of cats that you simply cant say all cats ride better than a mono. If you want the best riding cat then you cant go past a glacier bay IMHO.

Andy56
22-06-2012, 10:46 PM
on the trailer, there is no difference!
This arguement will go nowhere till the parameters are defined!
At what speed, what size tinnie/plate, what weight tinnie/plate, what size gfb, what time of conditions etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc........(as long as you like)
Its like why ford is better than holden or merc is better than bmw. Is a merc suv better than a bmw318? Best to walk away from this type of arguement cause you cant win or lose!:D

fly_1
23-06-2012, 04:31 AM
I like many others on here have driven both alloy and glass in both mono and multi. My thoughts are under 30ft, glass cat hands down, over 30 ft, a glass deepvee mono is much better. I tend to agree with Andy56, theres way to many parameters to consider with an arguement like this one though..

Grand_Marlin
23-06-2012, 06:31 AM
One word - SHARKCAT 8-)

No further comments required!

Thread closed.

Cheers

Pete ;D:D;D

Apollo
23-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Whichever boat you have is best - just get out there, use it and enjoy it safely. If it is yours, it is good.

FisHard
23-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Talk about a tough question!
Ok, to get a handle on this, I would say it depends on:
-Does the boat have Etecs or a Honda Jazz engine?
-Does it have Bennet or Lenco trim tabs?
-Does it have a Waeco or Engel fridge on board?
-Do the anglers use bait or plastics? Casting or trolling?
-Does the trailer have skids or rollers?
-Does the trailer have hydrastar or dexter breakaway system?
I reckon by the time you answer all those dilemas, you won't really care about the pounding, spray and broaching ;)

Grand_Marlin
23-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Whichever boat you have is best - just get out there, use it and enjoy it safely. If it is yours, it is good.

What a cop out!!
You're just saying that 'cos you didn't buy a cat ;D

Sheik
23-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I find very little difference in Dogwood creek. All hulls ride pretty good although anything over 4 metres has trouble turning around. If there's a bit of chop then I find the glass hulls better.sometimes that chop can reach up to 10 mm. Multihulls tend to get caught on dead coolibah snags. Glass or Multihulls over 30 feet are tricky to get on and off the trailer.

Apollo
23-06-2012, 09:43 AM
What a cop out!!
You're just saying that 'cos you didn't buy a cat ;D

I told you Pete, I already have a 6m cat, so you can't play that card with me.

The original post is a bit like the ford v holden debate. There is never a winner as each person who owns one will generally defend their own and hence their choice. Someones choice is dependant on a whole range of factors including budget, need, experience, seller, resale, use, ego, availability, etc and so what they have on the end of their towbar is the best boat - for them!

LittleSkipper
23-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Don't forget Polyethylene fellows.....

johncar
23-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Well I agree it's an impossible debate with no definitiive answer. I have only experienced glass cats up to 10M and glass and Ally monos up to 11M.
Just in general and refering to the better examples of all styles my thoughts are:
In calm conditions I would rather a good Mono, Glass or Ally for economy.
In Moderate to rough choppy conditions I would rather be in a good Cat, Glass or Ally for softer ride.
In very rough conditions I would rather be in a good Mono, Glass or Ally for safety.

Hope that makes sense..

FisHard
23-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Are we talking about dealing with the dreaded NQ chop? ;)

Bubsy
23-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I have done mono and multi, glass and aluminium. I have driven them, and been passenger, from 0knots breeze to 40knots. I have also been in my rag boat from 0knots to nearly 60knots breeze in moreton bay. If you exclude commercial boats:

Most uncomfortable boat I have been on is an Ausfish member, not going to say who or what, but it was made of aluminium.

Best boat, a haines glass boat, the biggest one. Next best was an old seafarer. We did rescues in haines v17 and v19

Scariest in moreton bay in big seas, a 30foot kevla cat, followed by by a 27foot cat.

Spot on brother.

TheRealAndy
23-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Spot on brother.

I forgot to add, I am a multihull fan boy. Its just I like beam, and you cant get that from any aussie manufactured trailerable multi.:disappointed:

NAGG
23-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Yep- no right or wrong answer here ....... If you fished out of Melbourne , you would own a different boat than someone who fished out of Syd & different again to someone fishing out of Moreton Bay .
Me - having fished out of many different boats (alloy & glass cats , alloy and glass monos) ...... my first choice for an offshore boat (anywhere) would be a glass monohull in a center cab configuration - A cat might be good during the run but they can be shit to fish out of in windy sloppy conditions - & can require a lot of care and concentration in a following sea........ some of my worst memories boating have been in (5-6M) cats

Chris

TheRealAndy
23-06-2012, 11:26 PM
I got a mate who built a powercat from a set of GBE sportdeck hulls (sailing cat). Initially it had 2 x 25hp high thrust yams on the back, but he upgraded them to 70hp yams. A big kevla/noosa cat on a flat day would flog it hands down, but this thing will eat up moreton bay swells on a 30-40knot day where you would be shitting you pants in a kev,noosa cat. Its not trailerable though, lives on the hardstand.

With mono's, i reckon the weight off glass makes them good, but the trade off is a bigger engine.

Tough call, if you are a smooth water guy, a flat aluminium hull is the go. Heavy weather, deep V glass boat with heaps of weight. Cat is good for light to middle seas, more stable at rest...

Captain Seaweed
23-06-2012, 11:42 PM
its hard to get an honest review from anyone regarding a boat they own, people think its their pianist on display and want to sell it for more than it is.....

My experience only

Marty

Captain Seaweed
23-06-2012, 11:45 PM
having said that you could make an honest call on your experiences with a particular boat and another person with the same boat will disagree because you have offended his manhood.... therefore not enough honest feedback in my opinion.

Captain Seaweed
23-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I can give you an honest call on the following boats...
-1980's EasyRider 510 half cab
-2000 Quintrex 575 Reefraider
-2000 Seafrarer 6.2 Vagabond with twin 115's
-2010 Noble Boats Interanational 7.5m Centre Cab

Cheers
Marty

Ps still searching for the boat to suit me...

TheRealAndy
24-06-2012, 12:53 AM
its hard to get an honest review from anyone regarding a boat they own, people think its their pianist on display and want to sell it for more than it is.....

My experience only

Marty

I am always happy to point out the bad points of any boat I own. No point defending a boat if its crap.

Most of the boats I have driven are rescue boats though, I dont own them, but being rescue vessels I have been out in conditions where most wont. Have also been out on plenty of mates boats. Noosa cat, kevla cat, haines, formosa, poly craft, fisher, noble, cox craft, yalta craft, brooker, yamaha, southwind, viking, javlin, stinking yellow tinnie yacht club used to own, bayliner, niaid rib, whitley, crownline...

The boat I am keen on at the moment, mustang clubsport 2400 is one boat I have not been on but am really keen to know more.

Stuart
24-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I think if the carbon tax pushes fuel up like predicted then we could all be asking what sailboat to buy.
Or perhaps what dam to fish as we wont be allowed to fish in any saltwater, so maybe those little paddle boats will do.

Andy56
24-06-2012, 05:26 PM
last I heard, carbon tax isnt on the fuel, doh! International prices are coming down so , unlike you, I will still be out there, lol!!
Be carefull about predictions, cause Chicken little certainly has spooked the cattle! Just remember, like GST, the sky isn't going to fall

Giffo65
24-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Carnster drives (paddles) a Plastic mono and catches more fish than most ! Just thinking out loud :)