PDA

View Full Version : no marks no worries :P

vertico
21-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Set off from Brisbane with Nathan, Matt, Anthony and myself for what we planned ( hoped ) to be a great fishing trip to the Bunker Group. The weather was apparently meant to be very good but we were going by the BOM colour by number charts, i.e. someone leave their daughter in charge of colouring in the wind charts with their crayons and these aren’t checked. The uncoloured areas which may have been 40 knots are now 0-5 variable. We left Brisbane in Nathan's awesome 200 Series Cruiser (best tow vehicle I've been in) towing a unusually soft riding and dry 2400 Kevlacat, well compared to my usual ride in my Stabicraft 529. We had a brilliant run from Agnes to Sykes at about 40-50km/hr even though conditions were far from perfect. Once we anchored up in the shallows behind the reef we found out that the fish weren’t biting so we decided to cook up some snags and get some much needed rest as conditions did somewhat deteriorate around midnight. I think Anthony did put a nice big squid in the esky but that was all. The boys laughed at my $12 Kmart sleeping bag which was thrown on the bare floor but I am used to sleeping on the soft checker plate of the Stabicraft's floor so it wasn’t much different. Little did I know that it was raining on me during the night but Anthony woke me up and I decided to move under cover and continue sleeping, just prior to a massive downpour.

Around 5am we woke up and stomached some ice breaks and some hot bacon and eggs. We fired up the twin 140 Suzukis and motored out to some new areas which we hadn’t fished before and had no marks for. It wasn't long before Anthony run over a nice bit of ground on the sounder and we quickly turned around and went back for a closer inspection, finding a nice show of reefies including what we thought was Red Emperor. Couple of drops into the day with Anthony already being dusted twice by some solid fish and Nathan has hooked up to a solid fish, up popped a huge Black Spot Rock Cod about 130cm in length. While retrieving his hooks we soon discovered that it also had one of Anthony’s rigs in its mouth. After getting snagged up and losing my rig, I proceeded to drop down twice and landed 2 x 10kg reds in quick succession, once of which had the bait and rig in its mouth that I lost while getting snagged! We loaded up on a few different species here including Red Throat , Goldband Snapper and massive Pearlies. After moving around a few times during the day and fishing countless good shows we ended up with 10 Red Emperor (All to myself and Anthony), 10 Red throat, 5 trout and a mix of other species including Maori Cod thanks to Mat. Mat couldn’t seem to find anything on the ocean floor other than Cod. We anchored up for the night behind Broomfield Reef and cooked up some Rump steak and salad for dinner before getting some much needed rest.

Day 2 and we awoke to awesome glassy conditions at 4am and after a quick breakfast of bacon and eggs we raced out to some northern marks to see if we could improve on our already healthy looking esky. First spot is looking awesome and I drop down another hussar fillet on a prototype fly and I am on with another 9-10kg red coming over the side. Nathan landed his first red for the trip at about 6kg and Matt continued to top up the Maori Cod and red throat quota. Anthony caught up with some very nice 9-10kg Reds falling to some ganged flys with hussar fillets. Nathan and Anthony also landed some stonka Pearlies which were very large and were quickly dispatched to the cold box. We pulled the pin at about 10am and raced back to the ramp in smooth seas sitting on about 60km/hr effortlessly in the Kevlacat. At this stage Mat was still in the corner sulking surrounded by about 1000 dummies lol.

Thanks to Nathan for the awesome ride in both the Kevlacat 2400 and the 200 Series Cruiser. It’s the best car / boat packaged I've been in ever. Thanks to Matt, Nathan and Anthony for a great trip with lots of laughs and friendly banter back and forth. I hope it's not too long until I get to go out with you guys again.

Nathan and Mat learnt lots and quickly realised that is no easy task to catch a good haul of Reds, with Anthony and myself scoring all but one of the reds which made it to the esky. Mat also learnt that Anthony was not kidding that he runs 12-14kg of drag at strike and still get dusted up by big Reds, they certainly are the brute of the reef! It was also good to get one up on Anthony knocking over a couple more Reds than him so bragging rights will be mine until next trip!

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5490/dsc3611.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5194/dsc3653b.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1543/dsc3646y.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/417/dsc3637v.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8097/dsc3620.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8626/dsc3628i.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1054/dsc3644i.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1203/dsc3612k.jpg

Fishing_Freddy
21-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Great read and some quality fish caught there, well Done
Ken:beer:

bannana
21-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Great effort guys. What depth are you fishing?

lightsout76
21-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Awesome read there Sean, cheers been waiting for the report.

You's put a few miles in on that trip aye...... well atleast ya's did it in style, in the cruiser and Kevla rig, mate.

What sort of depth did ya fish up that way?

Cheers,
Leon.

vertico
21-06-2012, 10:36 PM
from 40-80m leon...

lightsout76
21-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Nice work brother!!

dean_allo
22-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Seano,

Well done, another good tally mate. What did you think of the ganged fly's? Cant wait to get upto that ground again soon myself. Fingers crossed, might need you and Anthony to come up and help get rid of the grass and weeds that's chocking my boat =(

outta line
22-06-2012, 06:57 AM
nice work boys.....and to do it in style ...added bonus.... lucky buggers......bet you are still ;D;D;Ding
sean is that a tomato cod anthony has in the 4th pic? if so are they good eating?
cheers for the report mick

outwide1
22-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Good fish as always Sean.
Gee gone of the days of chicken rolls and a bag of burger rings.lol
Doing it in style.
I must admit though i don't mind a steak at the end of a good days fishing.
Well done.
Mick

Te Whiti
22-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Great report Sean, thanks for putting in the effort to do so.

Like Nathan,I'm currently running with a 200 series cruiser and a 2400 Kevlacat and whilst we've only taken it out twice so far, have been pretty impressed with the combo.

We didnt come back with Reds like that though!! Well done to the 4 of you.

Mark

Spot82
22-06-2012, 10:16 AM
nice work boys.....and to do it in style ...added bonus.... lucky buggers......bet you are still ;D;D;Ding
sean is that a tomato cod anthony has in the 4th pic? if so are they good eating?
cheers for the report mick

Hi Mick,

That is just a deep water trout from about 70m, they tend to be really red in colour due to the lack of any form of red light at that depth, which makes red appear dark brown/black, you will often notice that shallow water trout are more brown in colour than red. Red light fades out in the first 5-10m of the water coloumn.

But yes Tomato Cod are definitely good on the chew and we often get some good ones up that way.

Anthony

Schuey
22-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice going there fellas - that's a great trip. Any chance you got a photo of those pearlies you mentioned ? Or how big they went ?

Cheers

outta line
22-06-2012, 01:28 PM
cheers mate......got what i though was a tom cod last time i was up there now seeing that pic maybe it was a trout. Was caught in 70m along with some maori cod. i know what you are saying about them being red evan the flesh was a pink/red colour and when cooked went firm.... wasnt game enough to eat it just didnt look rite plus there was red emp to be eaten...wasnt going to keep another one but if they eat all rite will give it another go.... cheers again mick

Spot82
22-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Nice going there fellas - that's a great trip. Any chance you got a photo of those pearlies you mentioned ? Or how big they went ?

Cheers

Hey Mate,

They were probably about the 3-4kg mark, certainly not as big as the ones I got last trip in May which went 73 and 76cm! But still good pearlies none the less. Didn't get any pics unfortunately.

Previous report is here:
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?184394-3-days-of-fishing-for-an-hour-of-mayhem-%E2%80%93-1770-May-Day-Weekend

Anthony

Carry
22-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Nice fish boys yet again. Looking forward to getting up to 1770.

Cheers

Luke

Knotpretty
22-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Great pics and great report. Thanks for the effort fellas. mojo

Redhunter
22-06-2012, 09:47 PM
good read vertico and some quality reds .How much fuel did the twin 140s burn.

steve

The_Tub
24-06-2012, 12:30 AM
you must be stoked great report how far do you fellas travel to get these good fish,yes i know there only in queensland

XtremeBoony
24-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Great report as usual mate and another quality haul of red stuff :)

Cheers from boony

Spot82
24-06-2012, 10:54 AM
you must be stoked great report how far do you fellas travel to get these good fish,yes i know there only in queensland

I think we did 280kms on the water and used about 320L of fuel, conditions were pretty average on the way out and all day saturday and were in a hurry on the way home so chewed a bit more than usual, I think Nathan reckons a km/L is pretty average fuel consumption. Thats with 4 guys, gear, 500L esky full of fish and ice.

Then you have about 700kms on the road each way! You are only another 100km down the road from West Burleigh where we left from.

Goodoo haven
24-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Great report as usual and great fish too as usual. Very well done.

ShaneC
24-06-2012, 07:28 PM
If you blokes do 700km each way you may need to follow the signs as it is not that far if you go the most common way. Maybe it might just be old mate beating up a story again..... and you dont get pearlies that far north, everyone knows that...... Nice reds though Seano!!!!!

vertico
24-06-2012, 08:15 PM
think its 530-550 from my place to the ramp but these boys ran up from the goldy so add another 100km or so...

Lucky_Phill
24-06-2012, 09:19 PM
532 k's from Dan Murphys' Springwood to Agnes Tavern. ;)

You've scratched that itch Seano. and kicked Anthonys butt ! ;D ::)

cheers Phill

vertico
24-06-2012, 10:18 PM
when we taking the big rig up there phill?

Bull
25-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the report and pics Sean as always you guys got some great fish.

Phill I think you might have a slight drinking problem as the 2 reference points you used for the distance to Agnes both sell your favourite drinks ;)

Cheers Brett

Lucky_Phill
25-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't have a drinking problem......... I drink, get drunk and fall down..... no problem :) :P :)

Yes Sean, I know, I know. Maybe there will be a slot in July ?????

LP

marto78
25-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the report and pics Sean as always you guys got some great fish.

Phill I think you might have a slight drinking problem as the 2 reference points you used for the distance to Agnes both sell your favourite drinks ;)

Cheers Brett

Its a long drive mate lol

MY ALIBI
26-06-2012, 08:28 AM
hi guys great report again,, i noticed the pe tacle fly's, what the best running rig ?or a patanoster for deep water red fishing......is bloomfeild reef very sheltered????

bigjudge
26-06-2012, 10:20 AM
MY ALIBI, Mate a lot of blokes fish bloomfield then head to north west island for shelter at night and also for a night fish

MY ALIBI
26-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Hey bigjudge , yer iv been planning to get out that way for a day nighter, so looks worth the while, is north west good shelter if it blows up???

vertico
26-06-2012, 04:00 PM
hi guys great report again,, i noticed the pe tacle fly's, what the best running rig ?or a patanoster for deep water red fishing......is bloomfeild reef very sheltered????

mate mostly run them on the running ball rig but paternoster works well at times depends on conditions and current etc etc etc.

Broomfield wasnt that great protection depends on the wind direction.

sean

Spot82
26-06-2012, 10:28 PM
If you blokes do 700km each way you may need to follow the signs as it is not that far if you go the most common way. Maybe it might just be old mate beating up a story again..... and you dont get pearlies that far north, everyone knows that...... Nice reds though Seano!!!!!

Oh sorry my bad 630-640kms from West Burleigh, via Seans house then back to the gateway and then to 1770, towing a big boat it may as well be 700kms! And yeah no pearlies off 1770, I must have been reading my GPS wrong and been fishing off Fraser every 1770 report, I guess that's why I'm an amatuer and not a pro..... :'(

Broomfield was good once the wind stopped blowing from the SW as there was an easterly swell, in a SE'er it would be fine. The biiger reefs are obviously better though, between Sykes and Heron is usually pretty sheltered in most conditions.

Bout time Seano caught a red or two more than me as well, good on him! 8-6 is hardly and arse kicking while two others in the boat got 1 between them :P Nothing like a bit of friendly rivalry to keep things interesting though ;D

Goodoo haven
27-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I guess that's why I'm an amatuer and not a pro..... :'(

Geez, amateur or pro, I still wouldn't mind going out with you guys to catch a good feed of those reds and the like out there where you go.

Cheers, Doug.

ShaneC
02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Oh sorry my bad 630-640kms from West Burleigh, via Seans house then back to the gateway and then to 1770, towing a big boat it may as well be 700kms! And yeah no pearlies off 1770, I must have been reading my GPS wrong and been fishing off Fraser every 1770 report, I guess that's why I'm an amatuer and not a pro..... :'(

Broomfield was good once the wind stopped blowing from the SW as there was an easterly swell, in a SE'er it would be fine. The biiger reefs are obviously better though, between Sykes and Heron is usually pretty sheltered in most conditions.

Bout time Seano caught a red or two more than me as well, good on him! 8-6 is hardly and arse kicking while two others in the boat got 1 between them :P Nothing like a bit of friendly rivalry to keep things interesting though ;D

I tow big boats, and yeah it does feel further to some, but do it regularly and you might pick it up. Might even be able to work out fuel consumption on a boat with a bit of experience.......that way you wont run out!!!

Good to see the master beat the puppet......