PDA

View Full Version : BC Trim Tabs

Nicko_70
21-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi folks. Just wondering if there are any Bar Crusher owners out there with factory fitted tabs? I'm keen to know how the factory fitted upper actuator mounts are installed as I just had a set retro- fitted and am a bit suss on the install. Basically, the installer has tapped a thred into the aluminium hull (4mm aluminium), then used stainless screws to fasten the actuator mount. I questioned whether drilling oversize then using a conventional stainless nut bolt combo with an inhibitor (Duralac maybe) wouldn't be better but the installer said they've never had a problem with stainless into aluminium ( corrosion) and that they had checked with Barcrusher who do it the same way. A quick call to Barcrusher confirmed that but I still have doubts. Any BC owners have nuts on the inside of the hull or if you have the screw attachment described above are you seeing corrosion around the fasteners? Thanks heaps.

Smithy
22-06-2012, 08:08 AM
My experience with my Stabi which was painted was you can try as hard as you can with Duralac/Sika etc. to try and insulate the dissimalar metals but you will still galvanic corrosion bubbles in your paint work if you use your boat a fair bit or you know it has had a good etch prime done. My Mclay with the nyalic was good though. All the real old Quinnies etc. had better paint or better priming than all these modern boats. I'd go for what every you are comfortable with. I've always been more a fan of alloy blind rivets and Sika though instead of SS fittings on alloy boats.