PDA

View Full Version : Good mixed bag from the Barwon Banks

dayoo
21-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Popgun 19 (Brian) and Frank launched from the Coast Guard ramp on Wednesday morning at Mooloolaba in "Bertha" and had a chat with fellow Ausfish member Pinguu in "Drink & Dive" but were unable to communicate with him later on channel 73 as they had a problem with the two way.

Brian & Frank fished the Barwon Banks for a very good mixed bag of Snapper, Venus Tusk Fish (Parrot), Red Throat, Coronation Trout etc.

Most of the snapper were taken off the show as per the pic of Brians' Sounder which was close to one of the marks often fished by me and the boys on "Alexander". Good to see that the snapper are still there ;D

Brian ended up with his PB snapper (caught on one of my glow shad jigheads), PB Coronation Trout, PB parrot and Green job fish. A number of snapper were returned to the water as they had reached the in possession limit.
The snapper bent the 1oz jighead (owner 5/0 hook) so it will be a 7/0 hook next time. Snapper were between 55cm and 74cm.

They stayed overnight but moved south this morning and came up with a doughnut as the wind had moved to the North West.
Came in to Mooloolaba Coast Guard ramp after lunch and underwent a Fisheries Patrol inspection with no problems.;D

I am posting this thread as Brian is stuffed and needs his sleep but he will communicate on this thread when he wakes up.

Pics attached

Cheers
Barry

Fishing_Freddy
21-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Great looking feed, well done
Ken:beer:

thelump
21-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Great looking fish for someone with poor dress sense.:P:)

rosco1974
22-06-2012, 06:02 PM
well done brian a great feed...

Back In Black
22-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Thats a cracker of a tuskie! Would have fought like hell.
Good report,
Tony

wags on the water
22-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks Barry. Always a great report from you. As said - that's a corker of a tuskie.

Cheers,
Wags

Scalem
23-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Nice result Barry

TREVELLY
23-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Some very respectable snapper there well done.

That tuskie is the same size as the one my dopey mate tried to lift into my boat last trip and it was just lip hooked so half way in a big wiggle followed by a big splash - the silly bugger even had the landing net right beside him good to go when he did it too.

The cook will be very happy with that catch some very fine eating there.

I am surprised not to see any pearlies?

popgun19
23-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Great looking fish for someone with poor dress sense.:P:)

hopefully we will make it 7 Straight on Wednesday week Jason.

Cheers, Brian

popgun19
23-06-2012, 03:14 PM
well done brian a great feed...

Thanks Rosco, we had to search for them, We had all of the fish by 5 pm on Wednesday. Should have came home then. All that we caught after that was a couple of small pearlies and a few black tipped cod.

TIP : Don't go offshore fishing when the wind is blowing N/W.

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
23-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Thats a cracker of a tuskie! Would have fought like hell.
Good report,
Tony

Hi Tony,

He did put up a good fight peeling line a few times but I was impressed with the power of Terez overhead rod I was using, it is super light and made my job fairly easy. He was caught on a slab of iodine bream using a snooded trace running off a 3 way swivel patenoster rig.

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
23-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Great looking feed, well done
Ken:beer:
Hi Ken,

Thanks mate. I had some BBQ'd Corro trout and Snapper wings for dinner last night.... sensational

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
23-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks Barry. Always a great report from you. As said - that's a corker of a tuskie.

Cheers,
Wags

Yes thanks for putting up the report for me Barry.

Thanks Wags the Tuskie went 4.5kg and 61.5 cm after 2 days on ice.

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
23-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Nice result Barry

Barry, didn't come as he told me he was too busy Filleting 3 of Mossy's snapper for him.

Next time barry ...

Biiggest Snapper was caught on a 7" Pink Shine using barry's 1 oz jighead.

Thanks scalem,

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
23-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Some very respectable snapper there well done.

That tuskie is the same size as the one my dopey mate tried to lift into my boat last trip and it was just lip hooked so half way in a big wiggle followed by a big splash - the silly bugger even had the landing net right beside him good to go when he did it too.

The cook will be very happy with that catch some very fine eating there.

I am surprised not to see any pearlies?
Hi Trev,

Only 2 unders caught, I have only been up there a half a dozen times and the area that we caught the biggest snapp holds pearlies.

We didn't fish any deeper than 75m maybe we should have went to deeper water.

As for the tuskie, he was netted as were all the other big fish, as I have dropped a couple of medium sized fish in the past by being lazy, hopefully never again, Net is on the boat for a reason.

Anyone got a good seafood chowda receipe ??

Cheers,

Brian

wags on the water
23-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Brian, I think they are easier to fillet when left on the ice longer....imo only.

Cheers

popgun19
23-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Brian, I think they are easier to fillet when left on the ice longer....imo only.

Cheers

Hi Wags,

We put the fish into an ice slurry when caught, then when we get home drain the water then put more ice on top and fillet the next day.

If you leave them on the ice slurry for too long the flesh gets a bit soft and mushy.

I have found the fastest way to firm up the flesh is to drain the water, pack them on party ice, then sprinkle rock salt over the top. Don't use too much rock salt as this method has worked too well some times and actually frozen the fish.

What is the method you use ?

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
23-06-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.pngSome more pics..............

popgun19
23-06-2012, 04:59 PM
81631some more pics..........81630

rosco1974
23-06-2012, 05:17 PM
when you takin me out brian. i think i need to drag the cat up too maloolaba in the near future.maybe try for a few spanners while i am up there

feral cat
23-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Nice catch mate and cracker parrot.

popgun19
23-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Sounds good Rosco, we will take Barry and let him catch some good fish on his glow eggs, hotlips and jigheads. send us a pm when ready.

Cheers,

Brian

TREVELLY
23-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Brian, mate that post 18 of yours - you have it all wrong mate. :stop:

You are supposed to stand behind the fish with it at arms length and not showing any hands at all - then the fish looks bigger than you :beatnik::cool4:

sambos
28-06-2012, 06:49 AM
nice fish boys .Howd ya get Glen Stewart to put the Qld jersy on in the photos in the first post.Maybe some retribution for Cam Smiths VB add.