PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter at the Hards

Te Whiti
20-06-2012, 07:25 PM
With the weather looking the goods lately, myself, my brother Troy (Schuey) and a friend Greg decided to travel to the Hards for an overnight trip to search for some Snapper.

We set off from Moolooloaba in the Kevlacat and got to the grounds around 1pm Tuesday, our marks looked pretty quiet with no great shows to speak of, but we threw down a few baits and starting picking up a few tuskfish here and there.

We anchored on a mark around 4pm and started to burley up and in came the squirey snaps. From 4pm to 5.30pm the Snapper were on. We all got dusted up by some sharks taking hooked fish but still managed to get our bag.
Whilst there were no real big snapper to the catch they were good eating size and was nice to get back in to them again. Was also nice to see a few juvenile Red Emperor caught and released as well.

Mark

TimD
20-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Some nice fish there Mark :thumbsup:

It's getting hard these days to get your bag on Snap's with the new rules of 4 per person and only one over 70cm, especially if the big boys are around :(

cheers tim :)

rosco1974
20-06-2012, 09:07 PM
good feed mate well done..how much fuel did ya use mate..just wondering for when i do a run in my kevlacat to the hards
cheers rosco

Back In Black
20-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice catch there Mark. We did OK on Saturday but a bloke I know went Monday & again today to the Hards for barely a keeper.
Nice report,
Tony

Goodoo haven
20-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Some nice fish there. Well done mate.

Te Whiti
21-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Tim you're right, it is getting harder which is why we decided to go as far afield as the Hards. It was a long way, just under 2 hours travel time out there. I might keep to some closer spots in the near future or head to 1770/Musgrave for a 3 night minimum.

Tony, we had high hopes for some real big Snaps but was surprised to see little on our sounder, I think our saving grace at dusk was the big burley bomb we sent down...The snaps found us but so did the sharks..

Rosco, was only my second trip in the cat and we weren't travelling from a full tank, but we think it may have been roughly a third of a tank used (150 litres) to get there and back and some more travelling around between marks whilst out there.

Mark