PDA

View Full Version : Stop the super trawler

SNAPPERCOFFIN
19-06-2012, 06:19 PM
http://www.communityrun.org/petitions/stop-giant-fishing-trawler-in-tasmania?time=1340005902

Moonlighter
19-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Done.

Thanks

ML

ozynorts
19-06-2012, 07:27 PM
done..............................

the baker
19-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Yep done...

TREVELLY
19-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Yep and emailed to mates

timeout
19-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Done :2thumbsup:

dugggy
19-06-2012, 08:43 PM
done.....10 characters...

chris69
19-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Before you all jump up and down my be you might want to know the boat has not even got a licence to fish you might want to read this first http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/news/environment/supertrawler-causes-debate-over-sustainability/2585358.aspx

Grand_Marlin
20-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Not having a license is just a formality, otherwise they wouldn't be gearing up to bring it here.
I am all for sustainable fishing, both recreational and commercial, but this is ridiculous... This particular boat is not needed here.
18 tonne of Slimy Mackerel isn't a lot and it certainly isn't enough to sustain a boat like that.
(18,000 kg @ $4.00 = $72,000)
Wages for the 46 people on board for one week would be half this amount and fuel would take up the rest.
Therefore as the smoke clears and the mirrors are taken away, it is obvious there will be some big $$$ earned from other species.
There will be a loophole somewhere (most probably to do with the Lithuanian involvement) that allows a boat like this to class almost any other species as by catch.
An operation like this needs millions of dollars a year to be sustainable...

Enough said, petition signed.

Pete

OPTI
20-06-2012, 06:21 AM
well said pete ,this boat is a disgrace ,i carnt believe our government as the waste millions on imposing green zones on us ,and then let this monster come over and fish here.

kingcray
20-06-2012, 06:46 AM
signed

Dean

chris69
20-06-2012, 07:15 AM
18000 ton Grand marlin thats 72 million and everyone thinks bait just comes out of the frezzer at the bait shop lol.

Richo1
20-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Signed....

garman1
20-06-2012, 08:12 AM
signed................

Hossfish
20-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Me too.

Greg

sharkcat 23
20-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Re: Stop the super trawler

Signed

Our Government should be ashamed of its self.

Doug

Kevin Garrett
20-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I signed
cobiakev

Agrav8_and_Lulu
20-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Signed....

Darren

mal555
20-06-2012, 04:26 PM
The whole operation has a real stench to it, AFMA has recently doubled the mackerel quota, and one of it's board members, Gerry Geen - Seafish Triabunna, is the Tasmanian (connection) operator that is bringing the trawler out here.

Of course claims of 'conflict of interest' have been denied....

The European owners must be relieved there is still a country gullible enough to believe the giant vaccum cleaner of the sea, sustainably fishes, after the dramas in West Africa recently with Greenpeace, after it annihilated
their small pelagic species.

With the pelagic bait fish removed from the food chain, the tuna, sharks, dolphins and seals will also disappear.
Many coastal operations will suffer, from the recreational angler to charter boats and all the shore based commercial facilities that support these activities.

Muddy Toes
20-06-2012, 04:43 PM
PLEASE READ BEFORE SIGNING THIS PETITION GOING AROUND !!!!

People are signing up to Get Up an extremist green group without knowing. When you go to sign up look at what the box says with a tick on. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO UN TICK THE BOX

YOU ARE HELPING THE PEOPLE TRYING TO BAN FISHING!!!

Grand_Marlin
20-06-2012, 06:22 PM

People are signing up to Get Up an extremist green group without knowing. When you go to sign up look at what the box says with a tick on. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO UN TICK THE BOX

Good point,
I did see that and untick it

mal555
20-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Good point MT, but are you sure they oppose fishing in general?

Just had a read about them in Wiki, and they seem more interested in gay marriage, carbon tax etc. with left wing slants, but nothing about fishing?

Grand_Marlin
20-06-2012, 06:27 PM
18000 ton Grand marlin thats 72 million and everyone thinks bait just comes out of the frezzer at the bait shop lol.

LOL I read it as kilos!
18000 tonne and 72 million makes it very viable for them.

We just got the tuna back after the longline exclusions, now we are going to jeopardize them by decimating their food source.

18000 tonnes is just plain wrong.

Cheers

Pete

PinHead
20-06-2012, 06:41 PM
sorry people but I am not signing that petition.

Some basic research shows Get Up are not a mob i want to be associated with.

The author of that petition is Rebecca Hubbard...Now Rebecca is one of those people I have no time for:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/02/07/205281_tasmania-news.html

http://www.et.org.au/

I may not be in favour of the operations of this trawler but I am not a hypocrite and will not toss my hat in the ring with a green group.

Fishbait
20-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Signed, and unticked the box

wayno60
20-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Done............

http://www.standard.net.au/

finding_time
20-06-2012, 11:58 PM
HERE'S A LINK FOR ANYONE WHO DIDN'T UNTICK THE BOX!!

http://www.getup.org.au/unsubscribe

nigelr
21-06-2012, 07:15 AM
yep untick the box and FFS don't vote Green!

deckie
21-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Signed
Spineless and hypocritical if they're even contemplating it.

Suppose they want us to just accept that rec fishing quota's and ever increasing fees and taxes are worthwhile.

EdBerg
08-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Signed as well and unticked

Andy56
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
If the government is sitting on an 18ton licence, does that mean someone will get the catch? There is something else going on here boys.

Magneto
08-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Done! (signed)

gpz1991
08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Done and the wife as well

mal555
10-07-2012, 01:27 PM
If the government is sitting on an 18ton licence, does that mean someone will get the catch? There is something else going on here boys.

There was a public forum in Tasmania last weekend where some very interesting points were made.

The fishery that will be targetted (Jack Mackeral and Redbait) retails at just over a dollar a kilo, so economically it doesn't make sense to bring out a super-trawler from Europe, the returns aren't there.
However it is expected once here, which incidentally it has left Holland, enroute with no permits yet issued by the government????, to apply for more quota and fishery access to assist it's "viability".

The ship owners modus operandi is to accumulate individual local quota through a local front man (Seafish Tasmania in this case) running on heavy subsidies from the European Union and cheap Lithuanian labour (although claiming a handful a local casual positions).

At the meeting a visiting Irish lady explained how the Dutch and Spanish super-trawlers had decimated their local fishing scene in a very short period of time, which had sustained their coastal villages for generations. She warned "Don't give them a chance to start, it will be too late once that happens".

Comments were also made that there appears little concern from the mainland fishing groups, which possibly explains why the ship wants an out of the way base in Tasmania. With the intended Commonwealth License's the super-trawler will be able to trawl both eastern and western zones, that's eastern and western Australian sea-boards, not just tucked away in Tassie!

Don't be complacent on this issue, once that thing moors in Tassie it's going to be harder to get rid of than the plague.

Contact your Federal Pollies now!

fisho8
10-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Done..if they let this thing loose in our part of the ocean there will not be a fishing industry left as there will be next to no fish anywhere up our coastline.:-?

mal555
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
The ship (FV Margiris) is currently in the Canary Islands off Morrocco and heading our way.

Can't understand why would the ship leave port as both the Gillard government and Australian Fisheries Management Authority have both said no certificates or licenses to operate have been officially applied for or granted at this stage?

Is it incredible arrogance by the ship owners or a back room deal from Oz?

We don't need this machine to eliminate our fish stocks, too many Australians and associated communities earn a living and enjoy recreational time from our coastal oceans.

AMFA is playing around with rubbery figures and huge variables working from studies done 10 years ago.

They don't know enough about what these freezer super-trawlers have the capability of achieving, and more importantly the by-catch kill rates, as nothing is going to come out the other side of those 85 metre wide nets alive, regardless of what the theories claimed by Seal and Dolphin Excluder Devices.