PDA

View Full Version : Keep it a squid free zone for awhile ? New Regupol Deck.

deckie
18-06-2012, 10:15 AM
First impressions of this stuff is BRILLIANT. Should've been treading on it for years instead of carpets and tube mattings.

Its heavy...all up 12 kilo's but low down weight so doesnt worry me and wet carpet might even be heavier anyway. Doesnt retain water, supposedly UV tolerant but i guess i;ll find that out, seems pretty good non slip as they claim, comfy on the tootsies, no hooks jagging in carpet, used for soundproofing so that cant hurt, supposedly easy to clean but i wont know till inked and knee deep in guts.

Not glued down, seems to hold very well under its own weight so i can get it out and clean the deck properly. Dumped 10 litres of water onto it and sloshed about and still held under foot in place due to weight. If it does move i might whack another flow coat layer with sand to grip it better but right now doubt it'll be necessary. V easy to work with just a pencil/pen and stanley knife cuts it like butter. This is the 3mm stuff but they do a 4mm as well that might be even nicer underfoot. Just a cpl of helm pads to make and done.

If gets stained/filthy over time i can just turn it upside down and get a fresh floor.

Not sure if chose the right colour but had blues and greys before and went different. Starting to get a bit of Richie Benaud cream, the beige, the bone, the ivory, or the off white look about it all but i;ll get used to it.

Defintiely an option to consider.
Steve

Mr__Bean
18-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Any other info available?

Width of roll?

Price per metre?

Where you got it?

Thanks for the post, all good info to be shared.

Darren

Micadogs
18-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Same questions as Mr Bean above. I am close to having to redo my cabin, would be interested in this info.

Noelm
18-06-2012, 02:39 PM
bit hard to really see, but sort of looks like that stuff a lot of tinnies have fitted now instaed of carpet, kind of like a rough lino (sort of), I saw some in a centre console at my local dealer the other day and commented on it, looks just like carpet, but is really thick, rough vinyl, but as usual with all this stuff, I bet it comes in 2m wide, except for small boats, nothing is only 2m wide! why don't they make at least 2.5 wide? that would cover almost every trailer boat in the land for width.

ozynorts
18-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Nope it is worse than that Noel. It is on a 1.5m roll.
http://www.regupol.com.au/au/products/sports-leisure/marine-applications/overview-marine-applications.php

Noelm
18-06-2012, 02:57 PM
really handy, if you want to do your canoe or kayak, but useless for any boat that is a bit wider, you have stupid joins that curl up and get all ratty, no thanks.

Axl
18-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Cant quite remember but I reckon it was Captain Seaweed that put this stuff in his boat a while back and from all reports found it to be great.

I am planing to use it in my new rig (when and if I can sell the old one) instead of carpet so I too would like to know what it costs.

Axl
18-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Nope it is worse than that Noel. It is on a 1.5m roll.
http://www.regupol.com.au/au/products/sports-leisure/marine-applications/overview-marine-applications.php

Web site says 1.25m?

ozynorts
18-06-2012, 03:25 PM
yeah didn't read it right.

megafish71
18-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I Have put this is my boat also. It has been down for a little over a year now. I glued mine in with the recommended 2part glue. Was a fiddly job, but has come up a treat, don't worry about joins, if you are glueing in place just make sure your cuts are nice and square and you will never see the join again. I will try and take some pics and post them if anyone is interested.

Cheers Ron

deckie
18-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Yepp they make thin rolls unfortunately and wont go right across a deck laying lengthwys, which is only an issue if you dont wish to glue it down. Normally rolled sideways not lengthways and glued down but i decided to just do up the guts as one piece and see how it went without glue. Sides of this deck are sloped up slightly and not worth covering so didnt bother. Roll is somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5m i think from memory. Side pockets take up a lot of width.

Carpet comes in wider rolls 2m ish ?? which would be great in this stuff, but still need to be fastened/glued down somehow.

To do full width roll crossways and use a polyurethane glue. Didnt want to glue nor bother taking it up the sides, which might look nicer but no benefit i can see.
Price was more than carpet at about $60-70 p/sqm.

deckie
19-06-2012, 06:48 AM
bit hard to really see, but sort of looks like that stuff a lot of tinnies have fitted now instaed of carpet, kind of like a rough lino (sort of), I saw some in a centre console at my local dealer the other day and commented on it, looks just like carpet, but is really thick, rough vinyl, but as usual with all this stuff, I bet it comes in 2m wide, except for small boats, nothing is only 2m wide! why don't they make at least 2.5 wide? that would cover almost every trailer boat in the land for width.
Noelm noone makes anything 2.5m unfortunately. Be nice wouldnt it.
Anything for say a 4.8m cat or even a modern 5m trailerboats will need more width than this job needed...let alone 5.5m cats or 6m trailerboats. I used this stuff coz i could for this rig...cost effective due to lengthways lay and most practical. This isnt a big trailerboat at 4.8m and as time has gone by beams have slightly widened further and often no sidepockets down to deck level now as u'd know. Plus this is a totally sealed deck, no subfloor partitions except what i did to level bilge area, never see this anymore on newer rigs and made choice not to glue even easier (assuming it DOES stay put under own weight)

I havent seen it on many tinnies at all in my area, in fact first read/saw the stuff in captain seaweeds thread in here and liked it. I'm guessing though its perfect replacement for carpet if lots of partitions in deck...Parking in a shed/garage carpet is a bastard coz never dires out, stinks and mildew even a problem outside. Plus hot underfoot and not comfy barefoot, hooks caught in it etc etc..just didnt want it ever again. This stuff seems damn tough and ticks all the boxes i want, just not wide rolls and not cheap but great if not much required. I bght only about 3.5m for maybe $280ish, didnt want to take all way to transom (just added weight) and stops way short of bow at a bunk, but if having to lay sideways i probably would've gone for either seadek or that dogbone eva decktread which i;d prefer, but must be glued down, which is ok but swayed me to this.

BTW...great deal (on paper not checked out) i saw on fleabay for that eva decktread. Seems wayy cheap so need to check its the same/similar stuff as the 240-260denisty eva, and also check it aint a typo. PJ Bowers have 2mx1mx5mm dogbone pattern for $50 a sheet...for tinnies and partitioned decks i'd lightly glue that stuff down instead of carpet every day of the week. Bloody comfy too, bit of comfort under the crusty old dogs doent hurt. Handy stuff at about 1/4 the price of others (IF same stuff) and larger sheets too.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marine-Decktread-Dogbone-Pattern-5mm-/140774263443?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c6ccca93

Seadek the other i looked at but once again sheet size not practical and gluing required for the job. Horses for course but feel your pain looking for a 2.5m width for a fat deck at decent price if thats what you need.

Hopefully megafish ^^^ can whack up a cpl of pics of his rig...coz it really seems so easy to slice for an absolute perfect butt joint in this stuff and with careful laying, light glueing and no ribs/pattern to matchup, can lay lenghways/crossways and i reckon be lucky even spot a join in it. No more saturated stinking carpet for me. This stuff is heavy for size but wet carpet would be heavier i reckon..could probably press stud down as easy as carpet too.

TREVELLY
19-06-2012, 07:01 AM
I have the blue/grey Regupol to glue into my boat once the repairs are done.

I will be adding more joints to ensure I can lift the floor again to remove the fuel tank without trashing the covering so welding can be done in future either for repair or for additional fitout.

deckie
19-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Should look pretty swanky on that rig as well as practical Trev. You using the 2 part poly glue they flog or something else ?
If it doesnt sit safely under own wieght when trialled properly i'll buy a bit more and glue it crossways to get full width and up sides a bit.
btw...good luck with the boat, read the other thread and pretty tough gig you're going thru with it. Deserve better.

TREVELLY
19-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I got the glue with it from them.

I will put strips down though where the floor rivets are and secure these strips with silicon so i can lift the strips to get at the rivets if/when I need to lift the floor panel to remove the fuel tank.

I told them I will put the strip 1.25m wide across the back as this is the area I ripped up to get to sub-floor and see how it goes and leave carpet in remainder and will replace the carpet in future with more rubber if it works well.

I am thinking about on top the rear duck board either regupol or cork to cover cut and seal work.

megafish71
20-06-2012, 06:43 AM
A quick hint on the glue, put the tub in the freezer for a half hour or so before mixing it up. This will give you a bit extra tool time as this stuff goes off quick.

Ron

Alchemy
20-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Does it go down ok on a checker plate deck? Not that keen on gluing down either but if it was sealed off then I guess it would be ok.

deckie
21-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Tx for the tip Ron. I might end up getting more and glue down crossways to cover the lot. Dunno yet.

Hey Alchemy i got no idea, if i had to guess probably not the 3mm stuff i used with all the ups and downs on checker BUT have seen pics used on a big Noble which might be a checker plate deck its covering. 4mm prob more of a chance but prob best ring them.

The dream for everyone is no gluing isnt it...press studs another option for carpet and likely could do with this stuff too. Maybe those 3M dual lock fasteners that have a w/proof sticky back and act like velcro might be worth a try. Lots of deck partitions/lids/hatches makes it impossible either way without glue.

If you get home and wash/clean up then back it into a shed/garage, the bloody carpet never seems to dry out properly...and i'm not into lifting and dealing with heavy slabs of wet carpet when there's beers in the fridge. If i need to glue it down so be it.

No Fear
21-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Looks pretty good. May be an option for my boat and I am lucky that there is a big engine on my deck so width isnt an issue. Is there any suppliers around Brisbane or anywhere I can see a sample?

Mrs Ronnie H
22-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi
I don't wear shoes in the boat so was wondering if anyone knows how hot it gets underfoot.

Ronnie

Blackened
22-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Is there any suppliers around Brisbane or anywhere I can see a sample?

G'day

I know when "Captain seaweed" was looking at it for his noble, they posted him out a sample or two. Maybe worth contacting the distributor. As for heat, I've only been on his (a dark color) when detailing the boat a few times, and i never noticed any heat with it.

Dave

Fed
22-06-2012, 11:11 AM
My previous boat had the carpet held down with canopy posts (little plastic posts with a metal flipper) in each corner, they were glued down with a structural adhesive and never gave any problems.
I'm sure the adhesive would work with studs & buttons too, damned strong stuff.

GBC
22-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't know how it would go unfixed or just buttoned down. As with all recycled rubber products it is just granules bonded back together which is magnificent in compression, not so great in tension.
It is common as horsesh!t in highrises because it's about the cheapest thing that gets you over the line for accoustic value.
I'll be stripping a few hundred sqare metres out of Kings Row tower at Milton soon, but it won't be good for anything once the mechanical stripper is finished with it.

TREVELLY
22-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Regupol talked me out of the dark stuff - said it gets too hot.

I am pleased they did as i have heard this from more than one place since.

I will glue mine down.

One thing Marty made a point of on his instal is that the floor must be totally flat as it shows up a lot any lumps or bumps.