PDA

View Full Version : Good day on the ski's out at the Bowen Banks off Mooloolaba

Tony R
17-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Well if you went by the weather predictions you would have stayed at home drinking cold beer thinking about your next trip!! 3metre swell after a really windy week...

Got a call from Skipak and all arrangments were made to take the ski's for a run and do some fishing off Mooloolaba.

At the ramp discussed what we would do for the day and Skipak suggested we head out to the Bowen Banks if the conditions were any good.

Headed throught the harbour, quick sprint past backline and opened the throttle.....Probably took us 3/4 hour run out, maybe more...past the large container ships all anchored up and after that we saw no other boats on the way out.

Great run out..got to the reef, baited up and with in an hour we had 4 x nice size snapper on board. Skipak 3 v Tony R 1. Conditions got better as the day went by, no wind, water became almost oily flat.

Decided we had had enough and headed for home...a good 75km run there and back...

Nice to get out after all the shit weather, only two issues for the day, my battery played up and Skipak's esky came loose. That's Skipak leaning over the back tightening the hold down shackles.

Thanks to skipak for a good day out...............

marto78
17-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Who says you need a big boat to head to the banks. Top effort guys.

wags on the water
17-06-2012, 10:35 PM
How hard is it to get the location right?? Barwon Banks off Mooloolaba - Bowen is in FNQ. Apart from that, it looked like you picked the day to head out.

Tony R
17-06-2012, 11:02 PM
How hard is it to get the location right?? Barwon Banks off Mooloolaba - Bowen is in FNQ. Apart from that, it looked like you picked the day to head out.

You should be a school teacher....Bowen/Barwin who cares how I spelt it...............apart from that we just went fishing!!

Still_Dreamin
18-06-2012, 06:31 AM
if you need rescueing it might help if you stated the correct location, other than that as you said at least you went fishing

Tony R
18-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Who says you need a big boat to head to the banks. Top effort guys.

Thanks Marto......we were hoping to find the FAD to get a few of what you are holding in your avatar...Mahi Mahi...alas couldn't find it hence the bottom bashing for Snapper......

Runlikehell
19-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Yep it was a great day Tony. Fish were on the chew, plenty of whales, sharks, dolphins etc. The thing I enjoyed most was the run out. Averaged about 35 knots, with plenty of air underneath as we zoomed over them swells. Just like motox on water. When's the next one?

ps. I used about 40l overall.

marto78
19-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Just out of curiosity what kind of safety gear do you guys take out with you on a trip like this?

Tony R
19-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Just out of curiosity what kind of safety gear do you guys take out with you on a trip like this?

Hi Marto,

I generally carry all my safety gear full time on the ski no matter where I go.

Most important...Epirb with Gps signal, VHF handheld radio, flares - day & night, good tow rope, tools (including spare plugs) signaling mirror, V sheet, strobe light, plenty water, sun cream etc.

Another top piece of equipment is a second charged battery!!!! Trust me!!!!! Also very good to carry extra fuel for the long trips.

You can never really carry too much safety gear and it's your preference as what else you feel you may need.

Hope that helps.

cheers........

netmaker
19-06-2012, 07:06 PM
and hopefully a pfd in there somewhere too;). great setup. and with all the right gear and decent weather, why not?