PDA

View Full Version : Personal Bests...

wayno60
16-06-2012, 11:01 PM
I read and hear people bitching about the lack of fish around the traps but there seems to be as many post about PB's.
Which got me thinking, are we (fisher people) fishing smarter, or are there fewer fish but larger models.

barra71
17-06-2012, 12:20 AM
well i wouldnt call it Bitching. i think yes we do need to fish smarter.. and yes there could be fewer fish but larger models, as we all know there's heaps of small ones..

when i go out if i dont catch anything i dont bitch about it i am just glad i could go out for the day, and if i get anything that is a bonus...........

wayno60
17-06-2012, 01:03 AM
ok maybe bitching was the wrong word......would you belive, complaining?

Dicktracey
17-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Wayne last 8 trips outside have resulted in pb's every trip, yesterday we had boats everywhere motoring around spot to spot trolling ect.
Up until then we had no fish neither did they as they left one by one we put 2 snap in the box 78 & 82 then a 78 Spanish
Honestly I have fished the same marks every trip some days it's hard work but persistence pays off most days

nigelr
17-06-2012, 06:43 AM
lol, yeah no point posting about all the dud trips, and there can be plenty of them between pb's!
Personally I reckon there's always a certain element of luck as to what's in the vicinity at the time our line is in the water..........makes it more interesting I think!
Cheers.

tunaticer
17-06-2012, 06:46 AM
I think most guys will be posting up something extraordinary than something average if they decide to put a report up.
I don't whack my reports up for my fishing because nothing is standing out to me......well that in itself is more to do with my fishing history than the quality of the fish I am landing. To me a 80cm snapper off Redcliffe is not worth my posting as its not my PB, to many others it could well be a fish of a lifetime.
Stay tuned for the 1m snapper from Redcliffe one day, that day I will whack a post up.

Agrav8_and_Lulu
17-06-2012, 08:46 AM
It's good to go out catch a feed and maybe get a pb or just spend some time on the water. Lis and myself enjoy reading the post, productive and not so productive. It acts as a guide for us so we can maximize a result. We can get up to date info from the Ausfish community from the guys on the water.

Moonlighter
17-06-2012, 09:49 AM
It's always been the same, the old 20/80 rule is at work and always will.

20% of the fishers catch 80% of the fish.

The other 80% try a lot, but only get 20% of the fish. Some of them put in lots of hours but rarely succeed. Because they don't/won't/haven't learnt the things they need to succeed. Some of them think they can still fish the same way they did 30 years ago and wonder why it doesn't work very well any more.

Yes, I do think that some fish species have become more edumacated, or at least have become more wary in their approaches to situations. That's why new techniques and tricks have to be used to fool them into taking the bait...

Your mission is to get yourself into the right 20%!

cheers

ML

tunaticer
17-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm not convinced the 80-20 rule is that correct these days. Seems to be far fewer secret techniques about these days because of the social media thing. Some people just can't keep secrets to themselves.

I believe that if you educate a guy on the right time and place and technique for species A or B and IF he gets off his arse and gives it a fair dinkum run, he will bring home good fish. Lots of fishos just fill in a few spare hours to change their boredom.

If you really want those good fish, put in the real effort and be there at the right time with the right presentation and BTW ARRIVE QUIETLY!!!

It does not have to amount to hundreds of hours at all, just clicking the right things together.

MudRiverDan
17-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I only really do ok when I have targeted the location with tide time and technique (Bait or lure etc).
Quite often of late I have only done ok within a small window of tidal change, after that I can fish for an hour or more without a touch.

As far as pb goes I would not mind landing a Jewie over 100 cm, 90cm is my best so far which I caught on a 12lb Gloomis spin stick...
This often makes me wonder what the hell I am doing in the surf with a 15 foot telegraph pole... I ramble.

Cheers

nathank
21-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Wayno i reckon you are right for sure.. the days where you can chuck a prawn out on a 50lb line and catch a trophy fish are all but done.. catching pb's are usually a feat of hours and hours of trial and error and flukes are rare these days. Its taken me two years to have an idea of catching (for example) jew on the goldie and i have just started to target them with some confidence. previous it took me 3 years to finally nail a 60cm jack. as far as reading about catching fish and then actually catching fish.... well i think tha'ts two very different kettle of fish (pun intended)
did ya get any prawns at spot y this year mate?

wayno60
22-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Not one......

finga
22-06-2012, 08:00 AM
I cannot post about personal bests.
I do not know what mine are.
I take fishing for what it is....fishing. The act, occupation, or sport of catching fish.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fishing
Nothing in there about personal bests.

Dicktracey
22-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Wayno went from a 78 to 80 then 81 snap over the lsat week, Mossy has me with a 82 so he's banned for now ;)