PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Cuddy Conversion; Advice Appreciated

doctorbob
16-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I am hoping for some advice and opinions on converting my 5.0 metre Sea Wasp to an open boat such as Top Ender or Hornet. It's a 2000 model millennium hull with 70 HP merc. Kids are now old enough brave a bit of chop or spray, or stay at home as my daughter now chooses to do. Have mostly done inshore trolling and occasional offshore tuna trips at St Helens Tas, also diving in warmer months. The last 18 months has also seen me take up fly fishing in both fresh and salt which is somewhat difficult in cuddy cab. In future I can see 90% of my fishing being with the fly. My plan is to remove buddy cab with grinder/ saw, remove bow rails, build side console and fit slightly closer to stern. Construct raised casting platform at bow with associated hatches etc. Rear casting platform and storage. I have not yet looked at model specifications but topender and seawasp hulls look identical.
My second thought when removing cabin is to make it refixable with clips, clamps etc if the need arises.
Third idea is to just sell boat and buy what I want but am quite looking forward to the challenge. I have a shed full of marine ply and was a carpenter in a previous life. I can't foresee the project being overly expensive and would appreciate ideas and advice.
Regards Rob