PDA

View Full Version : couplemate trailer locks

Still_Dreamin
15-06-2012, 10:26 PM
When i bought my new boat the salesman advised me that the insurance require a hitch lock and not just chain and padlock( which i later found in pds). My question is can you leave them while towing?

Chas & Clarry
15-06-2012, 10:35 PM
We leave ours on...just cannot do quite as tight a turn when reversing with it because it would scratch the bumper on the car, but that would need to be a VERY tight turn to happen so it is not an issue.

Tim and Trace

Lancair
15-06-2012, 10:57 PM
As already said, its do-able.
Ive done it after leaving the boat hooked up to the ute overnight, drove to the ramp with it on, but I dont usually.
Its not like its gonna get stolen while you drive. LOL

RE insurance purposes, take a picture of your boat in its usual storage spot, with the hitch lock and any other devices you have to secure it in place, ie padlocks on gates or in my case, the Klamp It, wheel lock. Can come in handy in the event of claim.

Mr__Bean
16-06-2012, 12:28 AM
I understand that for own piece of mind we at times want to secure the boat when attached to the vehicle, which for me is a good quality pad lock in addition to the D-shackle.

But for interest, does the insurance requirement apply when the boat is attached to a vehicle, or only apply when the boat is being stored?

Darren

cormorant
16-06-2012, 12:59 AM
My policy also implies when not on my own premises or in transit. Specifically say padlocks don't count. Every policy is different.

Hitch helmet is the toughest I have seen. At least it might deter a thief to look for a easier target and I know some ###### can't play with the hitch at the ramp.

Not sure who the bigger thieves are the ones at the ramp or the ones in the insurers office.

Back In Black
16-06-2012, 04:43 AM
I use the helmet hitch & a heap of other methods of security on my boat, lock up shed, security cameras, concrete anchor in ground with here alloy chain over an axle, hedge security gates, huge dog etc & Club Marine would not knock 1c off my policy. I invested well over 10K & not an inch from them, so I am no longer with them. Another insurer saved me $500 per year!
Another bit of advice, get images of any security you do.
Tony

Still_Dreamin
16-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Great replies everyone thanks! I know it would be hard to steal whilst travelling but at the ramp it is a definite possibility. I figured if i can leave it on then i wont forget it! At home, it is couplemated, locked in shed behind locked gates with two dogs roaming the yard. I know you wont stop a determined thief but at least if it gets stolen they will have had to earn it.

Stuart
16-06-2012, 11:32 AM
The longer it takes them the less chance they will spend the time trying. The idea is to make it hard enough so they will move on to the next poor sucker.

theangryangler
16-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I got pulled over once for a vehicle check/RBT and the copper had a go about using a padlock instead of a D-ring thing.
And told me that you are not allowed to "lock" your trailer to your car whilst underway, If you have a acccident they cannot remove
the trailer without the key. Same with concealed door handles they must be visible to allow emergency crews to access your car in an emergency. So now i tow with no lock and throw on the hitch lock when i am launching.

team_mongo
16-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I use the helmet hitch & a heap of other methods of security on my boat, lock up shed, security cameras, concrete anchor in ground with here alloy chain over an axle, hedge security gates, huge dog etc & Club Marine would not knock 1c off my policy. I invested well over 10K & not an inch from them, so I am no longer with them. Another insurer saved me $500 per year!
Another bit of advice, get images of any security you do.
Tony

B'n'B,
I'm with Club Marine and got the same, who are you with?
TM

wags on the water
16-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I got pulled over once for a vehicle check/RBT and the copper had a go about using a padlock instead of a D-ring thing.
And told me that you are not allowed to "lock" your trailer to your car whilst underway, If you have a acccident they cannot remove
the trailer without the key. Same with concealed door handles they must be visible to allow emergency crews to access your car in an emergency. So now i tow with no lock and throw on the hitch lock when i am launching.

How do they think thieving scum unlock it? Do they knock on your door first and ask for the key before making off with your toys?

Back In Black
16-06-2012, 08:15 PM
TM,
Ended up with Nautilus.
Tony