PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance LMF-400 Guage

Splash
14-06-2012, 07:06 PM
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Digital-Gauges/LMF-400/

Who uses this guage?

Any good?

Pros/cons?

Best way to mount this in a tiller boat configuration?

Splash

Splash
15-06-2012, 06:31 AM
thoughts?

SPlash

Lancair
15-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I have a pair of them in my boat, very easy to use and read.
The gauge is the same as the Etec Icommand gauges.
Shouldnt be hard to mount in a tiller config. You'd need a panel or such to mount on/into obviously, oh and the engine to output the info in the NMEA2000 format, obviously.

Splash
15-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanskl Lamcair.

Why do u need 2 in your boat?

What NMEA hardware do I require to make this guage talk to my NMEA 2000 outboard?

Splash

Lancair
15-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, my boat came with 2. Ive no idea what you need to connect it, my boat came like that ?

Moonlighter
15-06-2012, 02:54 PM
You Need a Yamaha engine interface and a nmea2000 starter kit to make it all work. The LMF gauge won't work unless it is connected to the NMEA network.

Cheers

ML

Splash
15-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks ML.

Does this engine interface differ in spec across the different HP range for Yami?

Do you knwo what the part number is for this interface for 60HP Yami?

Likewise for the NMEA 2000 starter kit?

Lancair - Usign 2 of these guages may be a good idea - What parameters do you look at on both at the same time when underway?

SPlash

Lancair
15-06-2012, 10:10 PM
I have one setup as a split gauge, Tacho and water speed, the other gauge is setup to show Fuel remaining, current fuel usage in LPH, range in NM at current fuel usage and engine temp. When I use the motor trim, this guage detects trim movement and displays the current trim setting in full size and returns to fuel display a few secs after using the trim. Of course by clicking through the pages you can have more info shown like engine hours, oil level etc etc. They're backlit for night use as well, comes on when you switch nav lights on. Awesome bit of gear IMHO. Obvioulsy if you have an NMEA2000 compatible GPS/sounder you can have data from it displayed as well. I use meters for depth on my GPS/sounder, but have a page setup to show depth in feet/fathoms.
I have GPS speed, depth and water temp displayed on my GPS unit just under the gauges.

Grand_Marlin
15-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Splash, I have all the gear sitting on the shelf if you need it, including the LMF 400.

Lancair would have two gauges as they are used as an electronic version of analogue gauges... one for speed, one for tacho.
Also, when you hook them up you have engine data and fuel data available... really good idea.

Cheers

Pete

Splash
15-06-2012, 10:17 PM
THanks guys.

Lancair - can you possibly provide a pic or 2 on your guage setup with GPS?

What GPS are u using?

How are you applying sounder applications?

Grand Marlin - pricing of what I need - PM me?

SPlash

Lancair
15-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Im using a Garmin 750S. I dont have a pic of them switched on tho.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/ONEGO/IMG_0331.jpg

Splash
15-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks mate -

Great pic!

Very clean and neat!

Benefits of the lowrance guages over a sounder nmea 2000?

What hardware do u use to measure water temp? i assume this is water temp of the fishing water and not the temp of water coming out of the motor??

Splash

Lancair
15-06-2012, 10:41 PM
All the data on the NMEA network is available to be shown on an NMEA compatible GPS/sounder, if it has the capability and many do.
Benefit of the gauges is I can see the data on them, instead of cluttering up my GPS/Sounder screen. To see RPM and fuel data etc on my GPS screen means more button presses etc and not getting to see the sounder screen at the same time.

Im a gadget/geeky kinda guy, if theres a way I can show more data etc, have a new 'toy" to play with, I will. LOL. I only recently installed the water speed sensor and its great to have, LOL.
An autopilot is next on my wish list.

Splash
15-06-2012, 10:57 PM
THanks mate.

I agree with you totally, and I will now buy 2 LMF 400 gauges.

I already have a FCV585 Sounder and will be using this ( I cannot afford a new 750S :-( ).

Which means I will need a mounting pad to install this sounder and 2 guages and a GPS.

I have a tiller configuration, rec way to mount all of this?

And, a dedicated SOunder - choice/brand?

Splash

Lancair
15-06-2012, 11:10 PM
How handy are you with tools ? I built a little side console for my tinny. Sure you'd need something more substantial but its doable.
I used 8mm ply to make it, painted several times to waterproof and then covered in carpet. My gps in that boat was mounted on a RAM mount (http://southerninsight.com.au/category.php?id_category=30) .
One thing to think about, in finding a suitable position to locate the gauges, is the angle you'll be looking at them from. ESPECIALLY if you wear polarised sunny while fishing. You may see only black screens if its the wrong angle !!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/console.jpg

Splash
15-06-2012, 11:45 PM
thanks Lancair.

Great pics and yeah I am ok with tools.

Somehting to ponder over...

Your thougths on hand held GPS for boating rivers only?

Splash