PDA

View Full Version : Marine reserves to limit fishing

barra71
14-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Fishing, oil and gas exploration are set to be limited when the federal government introduces a world-first network of marine reserves around Australia.
Environment Minister Tony Burke will release the final plan for 44 marine parks including the Coral Sea and the southwest coast of Western Australia on Thursday.
The new reserves will cover 3.1 million square kilometres, or a third of Australian waters.
The reserves will limit fishing and some oil and gas exploration.
Mr Burke will unveil the marine reserve maps at Sydney Aquarium on Thursday morning.
'This new network of marine reserves will help ensure that Australia's diverse marine environment and the life it supports, remain healthy, productive and resilient for future generations,' Mr Burke told The Australian Financial Review.
The marine reserve announcement comes on the eve of the United Nations Rio+20 conference on sustainable development in Brazil and will give Prime Minister Julia Gillard a public relations boost.
Environment group Pew described the marine reserve plan as a 'turning point' in marine protection.
Spokeswoman Michelle Grady said establishing large marine sanctuaries would lead to rapid growth in eco tourism and increased stocks of marine life.
'But critical areas remain vulnerable to the threat of oil spills, including the tourist mecca of Margaret River, the blue whale feeding grounds off South Australia's Kangaroo Island and the extraordinary coral reefs at Rowley Shoals off the Kimberley coast,' she said.
The Australian Conservation Foundation chief executive Don Henry said the plan would make Australia a 'global leader' in ocean protection.
'Although the reserve network bans oil and gas exploration in the Coral Sea, the northwest region has been left vulnerable to these threats,' he said.
Commercial fishers are set to receive compensation from the federal government.
'We've got an adjustment policy where we will work case by case with the different companies involved,' Mr Burke told ABC radio on Thursday.
Mr Burke dismissed threats from Nationals senator Ron Boswell that the coalition would fight the plans every step of the way.
The World Wildlife Fund said it would set an important precedent internationally.
'It's been a long time in the making,' spokesman Paul Gamblin said.
The federal government had laid a solid foundation but would have to build on the plan to protect some sensitive areas that would still be subject to oil and gas exploration, he said.

tropicrows
14-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I just don't get it, marine reserves around Australia BUT they are letting the largest fishing trawler in the world, fish in our waters.

barra71
14-06-2012, 10:24 PM
AND SOME MORE....

Australia will lead the world on ocean protection with plans to create a network of marine reserves that limits fishing, oil and gas exploration.
But commercial and recreational fishers predict coastal communities will be devastated by the loss of 36,000 jobs and more than $4 billion in lost revenue.
Environment Minister Tony Burke released the final plan for 44 marine parks, including the Coral Sea and the southwest coast of Western Australia, on Thursday.
The new reserves will cover 3.1 million square kilometres, or a third of Australian waters.
The reserves will limit fishing and some oil and gas exploration.
Mr Burke told reporters at the Sydney Aquarium the plan would 'turn a corner' on ocean protection.
'This is the biggest step forward the globe has ever seen,' he said.
'We have decided to become the world leader in ocean protection.'
A 60-day consultation process will not be about shifting lines on maps but whether the proposal proceeds, Mr Burke said.
The 'jewel in the crown' would be protection for the Coral Sea which would become the largest marine protected area in the world when combined with the Great Barrier Reef.
'Australia is a good manager of its fisheries but that doesn't mean we can't go a step further,' he said.
Earlier, Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the great Australian tradition of 'dropping a line' in the sea won't be threatened.
'People will still be able to go and take their young son fishing,' she told ABC Radio, adding the plan would affect about one per cent of current commercial fishing activity.
But the Australian Marine Alliance, which represents commercial and recreational fishers, says 70 trawlers will go out of business.
'This is devastating and those that will suffer most will be coastal communities,' chief executive Dean Logan told ABC Television.
'Tony Burke's just single-handedly lost the election for the Gillard government.' :o
Commercial fishers will have access to a $100 million compensation package.
'We've got an adjustment policy where we will work case by case with the different companies involved,' Mr Burke said.
But Sunfish Queensland chief executive Judy Lynne believes the ban on commercial use will result in more foreigners fishing illegally.
'This is about a green push ... it's ridiculous,' she told ABC Radio.
Veteran Nationals senator Ron Boswell says the opposition will fight the plan at every step.
Mr Burke countered by saying: 'He's opposed to any level of marine protection.'
The Australian Greens said the government had caved in to the oil and gas industry by leaving off critically important areas near Ningaloo, Pilbara and the Kimberley in WA.
Environment groups generally have welcomed the plan.
Australian Conservation Foundation chief executive Don Henry said the plan would make Australia a global leader in ocean protection.
But he warned the northwest region had been left vulnerable to the threats of oil and gas exploration.
It is expected that the final marine reserves will be declared before the end of 2012.

split-shot
15-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Who is going to monitor this?

Si
15-06-2012, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=split-shot;1392918]Who is going to monitor this?[/QUOTE

yes, good question..Thats going to require a lot of money and many people on the ground to do. Something maybe the gov hasnt thought about yet or budgeted for.While its easy to be skeptical this reeks of tokenistic political bs. Lets hope they have done an impact study to the amount of lost revenue in mining, fishing industry. Surely they would look at this before implementing such a radical change. Also at what point do we stop shutting out people to what was once a common resource so our pollies can feel good. Its an impact on my lifestyle, should that be allowed on such a grand scale....lost opportunity for me and my sons is hard to swallow.

However the main thing that gripes me about marine parks is that they dont protect against our main impacts. Pollies think they can tick the box and say 'it's a marine park, its all good' but the problem is that it isnt protected from sediment run-off, pollution etc - it only protects it from fishing of which is already heavily regulated......I really hope experts are heard and the decisions are not based on political opinion.

Cav(J.C.)
15-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I don't get this either. Seems politicians on the left, and the "Greenies" want to bankrupt this country.
There is very little in our modern lives that is not provided or powered by the oil and gas industry. Transportation, plastics, textiles, heating, shipping and commerce, airlines, agriculture--the list goes on---and this important industry is criticised and devalued at every opportunity. To have a source of oil and natural gas in this country is of great benefit for this and future generations.
Every industry has it's hazards, and the great thing about human beings, is that we recognise these hazards, and think hard of ways to reduce them.
We don't say "This is too difficult---we can't do that. People who think like that, and who's only answer is to ban , should not be leading this country.
Regarding fishing. Again the taxpayer---you and me--has to pay people not to work. No disrespect to the fisherman here. Generally thay are independent, bloody hard working, and have never put their hand out in their life. The industry is family orientated, and passes on from one generation to the next, with knowledge being accumulated that would never be known to politicians and academics.
What happens to the next generation of these proud families. When you take a mans livelyhood away, you take not only his income, but his pride in what he is and does. A hand out doesn't cut it.
I have never been able to understand why our best and cleanest Australian seafood is exported, and we import for our consumption, seafood, that if we saw the conditions it was farmed in, we would not use it for bait. How is it that we can buy Japanese frozen scallops, but we cant get the ones from Tassie.
As much as I hate regulation, may I suggest that a quoter of all seafood harvested in Aus. must be sold in Aus. Any excess of this quoter may be sold for export. Better brains than mine could make this work I'm sure, so that both Aussies, and Aussie fishermen benefit.
So endeth the rant.
Cav(J.C.)

Qlder1
15-06-2012, 06:53 PM
My take on this issue and most other is that most people are in it for their own interests.. I hate to say it but that includes me and most rec fishers, as well as commercial fishers, pollies ,greenies and especially the mining industry. If you want to call any side wrong you really have to "walk a mile in their shoes" and realise that every side has their reasons for wanting things their way. Of course sometimes "their way" will destroy the whole purpose or desires of other groups so there must be some compromises made.

My experience is that compromise is always in favour of the stronger side of the argument. Anyway if the rec. fishing sector of the population are to have any real say in what happens with our sport or indeed our environment we have to be united. I am not a member of any club or organization as such but I would if this could be achieved.

We need to have an equal chance to tell the govt. what we want, the mining sector, and the greenies have atm and we have more numbers (of voters anyway ) than both.

yalta
16-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Who is going to monitor this?

well they will get lisa McCune and the sea patrol team.;D

seameter
16-06-2012, 07:47 AM
While I do feel for those who will be affected by the new zoning plan I don't think it will have much of an impact overall. Most of the fish I see in the shops now isn't from Australia anyway and I always thought it was unfair that the best fish caught in Australian waters went to people overseas. I've had a look at some of the various zoning maps and it seems recreational fishing is still permitted in a lot of the areas.

barra71
17-06-2012, 07:39 AM
81335Is this what is to come.... god help us all as there will be nothing left.

dunny
18-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Can you send another as that did not work, does anyone have a map of this proposed area that will be locked out.???

seameter
18-06-2012, 07:40 AM
http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/mbp/reserves/index.html

mangomick
18-06-2012, 09:48 PM
After looking at this http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/mbp/reserves/pubs/coralsea-zoning-scheme.pdf i can't see a problem from a recreational fishing point of view. The only thing I see as two faced is the same government allowing the Dutch to base themselves in Tassie and use such a massive ship for trawling in Aussie waters and absolutely raping the area. Let the Europeans sanction off large amounts of their fishing grounds for conservation purposes and then they might get some of their depleted stocks coming back.

split-shot
20-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Have a read of this, it puts a different view forward, I am sure that the powers to be are not aware of these facts.
http://www.goldendolphin.com/WSarticles/Australia's%20Unappreciated%20and%20Maligned%20Fis heries.pdf

Lucky_Phill
24-06-2012, 08:37 PM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/un-attacks-state-failures/story-e6freon6-1226403583149

split-shot
25-06-2012, 10:20 AM
No where can I see the UN being concerned about over fishing. Their main concern is in relation to development along the coastal strip. If the conservationist keep closing everything down, the public must soon wake up and send them the message that they will no ,longer be returned to power.