PDA

View Full Version : Round Hill round-up

Streaker
12-06-2012, 01:02 PM
We travelled to Agnes Waters arriving Monday afternoon 4/06/12 there were 4 of us and the Scam (6.5 metre AMM).
Conditions were looking fair on Tuesday 10 to 15's so decided on a trip to the Warregals. shortly after arrive Bear was on to nice fis,h a good trout that weigh in at 7.5 kilos gutted and gilled. The tally was increasing as was the wind, pulled the pin about 2pm with a few nice trout, parrot and husser on board.
Wednesday morning saw us heading to the Fitzroy area we decided to check a few points on the way out, found some good bait grounds and helped ourselves to a supply of slimies and yakkas. while checking out a spot we cruised over what seemed to be some very productive ground about 18 klms from fitzroy, baits down and we are on to trout, red emperor, cod, RTE and the husser were coming over 2 at a time on the bait jig. Tony (owner/skipper) landed a very nice half a red emperor, then the grey suits moved in. I hooked up 3 times on them as we were being harrassed by an inquisitive dolphin fish. I suggested that Tony drop a pilly near him and see what happens, I allowed him 5 minutes before I was moving the boat. About 60 seconds later there was a nice dolly sitting in the kill tank. Began heading back in at about 3.30pm THEN:'( it happened a strange noise from the rear of the boat, the skipper dropped the revs back and I was on the radio to VMR Round Hill to advise them of a later ETA. Shortly after there was deep bang nosie low in the motor and we new that our trip had come to and abrupt end, back on the radio ane VMR were dispatched.
VMR arrived at about 5.20 pm just before sundown then they enlighted us on where the tow rope had to be attached to the boat, apparently they have to attach to the winching point or run the risk of pulling the towed boat under. For those that are unfamiliar with the Masters Marine design the winch point is a long way from the bow of the boat. After a short vote it was decided that I :o would be the one to be unceremoniacley lowered by the ankles off the bow of the boat.Being handed a shakle that was too large for the hole I managed to get it stuck and could not remove it, another shakle was passed over and after numerous attempts and a few good dunkings head first into salt water which seen me rise out of the water spewing and spitting I admitted defeat. there were only to options left the skipper would try to attach the shakle while we hung onto his legs or the second was"someone had to go into the water" another vote that I would of lost.
Darkness was now upon us and the lights were turned on on the rescue boat, Tony was lowerer over and after what seemed an eternity, Tony's arms were raised in the air: - 2 thoughts passed my mind at this stage how cold is that water and I hope that the grey suits have moved on, thank god I was wrong Tony had managed to seecure the tow line.
I cannot thank enough the quick response of VMR and there professional approach to giving assistance to those that need it.
To end the story a good trip, great accomadation and we will return in the future. This post will however lead to 2 other post
1) gather information on a replacement motor
2) the importance that all off shore boats be fitted with a STROP line, I hope that I have spelt this right. A strop line is a shackled piece of thick rope attached from the winch point to the front handrail, incase we ever requie a tow again. In the words of VMR the attaching of a tow rope is very dangerous and we we fortunate that there was only about a 10 knot wind and small seas at the time
Wayne

Crisp Bee
12-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear you all made it safely back with a feed as well. Would not be any fun hanging head down bum up wondering what nasties were under the boat.

2IC
12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Mate good read ,, still sounds like a great trip,, plenty of yarns over a cold ale out of it:) VMR Round hill do a wonderfull job looking after us fishos that is interesting about the strop line .will make a good topic for posting ,,any fish photos???

tropicrows
12-06-2012, 02:59 PM
2) the importance that all off shore boats be fitted with a STROP line, I hope that I have spelt this right. A strop line is a shackled piece of thick rope attached from the winch point to the front handrail, incase we ever requie a tow again. In the words of VMR the attaching of a tow rope is very dangerous and we we fortunate that there was only about a 10 knot wind and small seas at the time
Wayne

Wayne very good advice, I would not have thought of that in a million years, thanks. Let us know what happened to the motor.

lethal098
12-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Yep been there and done that Myself in a mates boat, 50 Km out to sea with a 15-20 knot NE and 2 metre seas. Certainly not fun.

I am now a Member at Coastguard and if you cant reach that point there is very little that can be done to Hook up your vessel safely for a tow.
A Strop line is by the easiest thing to have attached just in case.

Cheers Lee

robtarr
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Great read Wayne with a valuable lesson included. Shame what started out as a top trip turned into something less than that but glad all are back in one piece.

MuddyTows comment is conspicuous in its absence ;)

Cheers Rob

bugman
12-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Wayne,
I thought you'd be old and smart enough bu now not to be dunked upside down in the dark 30km offshore in the shark invested cold briny.
I guess I was wrong.
Brett

lightsout76
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the post mate and good to hear everyone got home safe, sounds like all dramas aside you guys got some pretty good fish out of it and cracker trout.

Also, it's good to know about the STROP line, cheers for that as i also would not have considered it as a neccesary additive.

Thanks again, good to see some pics if you have any.

Leon.

Muddy Toes
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Great read Wayne with a valuable lesson included. Shame what started out as a top trip turned into something less than that but glad all are back in one piece.

MuddyTows comment is conspicuous in its absence ;)

Cheers Rob

Good read mate.......don't worry though it happens to the best of us. I was giving this thread a wide berth but thanks to Rob I can also vouch for the absolutely astounding job VMR Round Hill does. With the radio monitored from their house on the hill I've been told it's nothing for them to be watching t.v, having dinner or doing the ironing when we all want to call them for a chat and when we put out the call for help they drop everything and come to our aide. A great bunch of blokes and lady that unfortunately don't forget people and boats in a hurry......as I found out just recently when I went back up there 8 months later and I was stopped by one of the blokes for a chat ( comical banter at my expense).
As for the strop line, I didn't have one either and right on dark I was praying like hell my mate, sister and brother in law wouldn't let go of my ankles!!

Crisp Bee
13-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I reckon a Strop line will probably find its way on to my boat soon.

Sheik
13-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Great report Wayne, well done mate. What sort of motor was it? 6.5 I'd imagine you had a 200 odd on?

Does anyone know the requirements for a strop rope? D shackle onto tow point? what tonnage shackle and rope and connection at VMR end? Perhaps they could let us know somehow?

Streaker
14-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi
Thanks for all your responses
Lethal098- would of been plenty of exciting moments 50kl off-shore
Bugman- yes one would think that I would of known better
lightsout76- sorry mate no photos
Sheik- only had a 135 Mainer on the boat, this was the original motor that was fitted. Loooking at a 175 suzzi now.
Lucky Phil- when I return to work I will get your phone number, I will call to repay you for those marks and give you another good mark to add to your list.
Wayne

lethal098
14-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Sheik,

If you had a Rated Shackle on the Bow eye would be fine, Pretty much the same u would use on your trailer, The quick release shackle used to tow easily fits through a D shackle, A note for some though the Shackle wont fit through some bow eyes on some boats.

Rope, well depends on the boat, 20mm-30mm spliced would be the best. Imagine the pressure on your boat getting towed in rough seas, That will give you a better idea.

Lucky_Phill
14-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks Wayne, just glad you got out for a fish etc.

I am off to Fraser, Saturday for a week or so.

I do believe I have had a " strop " rope for many years, but do not utilise it.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/SANY0001640x480-1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/SANY0003640x480.jpg

The Caribena clip is rated heavy... not too sure what , but had pulled Navara out of bog. :-? 8-) 8-)

We'll be back up that way in September.

cheers Phill

Streaker
15-06-2012, 06:28 AM
I knew that you would of been prepared Phil. What is the weather pattern around this time at 1770, we will be returning as soon as the boat is repowered.
Wayne

Lucky_Phill
15-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Historically, September has been the best.

That is, it has more consecutive days of good weather, than any other month. Something like 3 good days in a row, rather than 1 or 1 and 1/2.

The winter drops the current, and coming out of that, it hasn't picked up. The wind doesn't seem to hang around long either, blowing one day, but gone the next for a couple of days.

Realistically, you will get over 50% good days in a week for fishing. I think we had 5 / 7 last year ???

The moon also affects the run up there as well. Can get going on a full / new moon outside the islands.

I try to avoid going up in winter, as a southerly wind turns the water ( current runs to the south ) into a washing machine and very uncomfortable traveling out.

Ideal weather........

S/E... morning........ N/E arvo.... 5 - 15knots 1 mtr swell.
Plan, head to Musgrave first up........ work north to Fitzroy and come home with the wind up ya clacker.
Round trip under 200 k's.

cheers Phill

FisHard
16-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Ideal weather........

S/E... morning........ N/E arvo.... 5 - 15knots 1 mtr swell.
Plan, head to Musgrave first up........ work north to Fitzroy and come home with the wind up ya clacker.
Round trip under 200 k's.

cheers Phill[/QUOTE]

Stop it Phill, you're giving me a tingle! ;)

Edmo
16-06-2012, 09:05 AM
yep had a cpu die on my old boat at the ramp there 2 days into a 4 day trip, not good ...where did you stay? was it a rental?

Streaker
17-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi Edmo
yes stayed at Casa Doro rented through Harcourts. a very nice house with the largest ensuite and spa I have ever seen, reasonably priced for the week about 800.00. could sleep 5 on the beds available.
Wayne