PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 4 strokes have taken over..

ranga7
11-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I love boats and motors of all shapes and sizes and take a lot of notice of them while at the ramp and fishing comps. 5 to 10 years back all i saw was yamaha, yamaha, yamaha and a few suzis hondas. The last couple of years at the ramps, comps, commercial fishes and marine rescue etc i have seen a majority of suzukis. In my opinion suzuki are at the top of the pile now which makes me happy as I'm getting my new 175 next week.

Tangles
11-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Each to their own, and i wouldnt argue if i had a Yammie, Honda, Suz or Merc on the back,, but if your buying a Suz it has to be better than brand x or y.... at least they arent white :D...

astro66
11-06-2012, 06:05 PM
oh no heard some horror storys about the 175s.....

Boat Hog
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
....commercial fishes and marine rescue etc i have seen a majority of suzukis.....

If they had more dollars available then they'd have Verado's for sure! ;) ;D ;D

fly_1
11-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Suzuki 175's are a brilliant engine. Well done on the new purchase..

dave572123
11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Suzuki is the way to go i have a new 250 coming

bf90
11-06-2012, 06:49 PM
yep, it is hard to buy a new crap motor in this day and age. The suzi is a very good motor, but no way in hell would I swap it for my honda!!

fisho8
11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Hit the nail on the head there Ranga I am seeing them everywhere now...Coast Guard boats,police boats,Commercial Charter Boats,Commercial Fishing boats,nearly every 3rd or 4th boat I see launching at the Scarbrough Ramp has one,my next engine will be what you have just purchased or the 200 congrats mate you will love it. I had a good talk to one of the reps at the tinnie and tackle show this year about these 175's. They are less expensive to service than the other big name brands and are good on low end torque which makes it good going through the rough stuff with the control unit they run which hold the revs so the engine does not labour as much in a rolling sea post a few pic's up after it has been fitted. Congrats mate.

Cheers Mick.

timeout
11-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I had a Suzuki 50hp that is now 10 yrs old and never did I have a problem with it at all, Great engine IMHO

FisHard
11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
I've got a 200 Suzi and love it! I would challenge any other 200hp motor (2 or 4st, new or old tech) to out perform it. If you think all 4 strokes are sluggish, try one of the upper hp Suzis! You'll be doing this :D
Good luck with your rig mate.

Jakers 69
11-06-2012, 10:10 PM
My Suzuki 175 is all happiness to me 150 hrs old, but what do I know it is my 1st boat.
So far so good.
Sure you will be happy.

dodgyone
11-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Wonder if Suzuki international will get interested in taking over from the Haines group at some point.
Would hate to see consumers ripped all over again like the last time they pulled out of Australia.

odes20
11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
My Suzuki 175 is all happiness to me 150 hrs old, but what do I know it is my 1st boat.
So far so good.
Sure you will happy.
My Suzy 175 is all happiness at 650hrs!

Muddy Toes
11-06-2012, 11:16 PM
If they had more dollars available then they'd have Verado's for sure! ;) ;D ;D

I can only imagine the extra dollars would be for the towing cost, is this correct?

Surely.....because if they were going to spend the extra money on a motor they would obviously buy Yamaha.8-)

Dan5
12-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Suzuki........Worlds best fourstroke outboard engine.

More fuel efficient than any other engine on the market.

Quieter than any other engine and scientifically proven.

Best technology available.

Best power to weight available across the board hands down.

More reliable than it's competitors by a country mile.

Extremely sexy to look at aswell i may add.

Salted or un-salted POPCORN people.

Dan

TREVELLY
12-06-2012, 06:09 AM
I can only imagine the extra dollars would be for the towing cost, is this correct?

Surely.....because if they were going to spend the extra money on a motor they would obviously buy Yamaha.8-)

I don't know mate - I have a perfect 175hp Suzuki just had 240 hour service and still purs like a kitten and runs probably as hard as your boat and as far as your boat but mine with a 240l tank and your with a 500l tank - that is one good reason for nice balanced outfit with an economical motor over 5 tonne of US plastic with a 300hp Yami screaming it's socks off and on fire - mate every time I see that avatar pic of yours I hope you get the thing put out before the plastic catches fire and you sink ;D

Some may think I am being a bit harsh on Muddy - but anyone who suggests my 175 Suzzy would make a good anchor - shame shame >:( :)

Ranga7 good call on the 175hp Suzuki a sweet motor :thumbsup:

team_mongo
12-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Suzi's are good motors, but time for a reality check.

If you think a 3.6 v6 Suzi 200 will outperform a Yamie vmax sho 200 4.2 v8, or an opti 3.0 v6 2 smoke, or a etec ho 3.3 2 smoke you're dreaming.

All outboards can break down, I was with a well known charter this year that solely uses Suzi's. One of the three dories 70hp died, and in addition, one of the two 300hp boats died. They had to swap out the 70hp at sea. This is not a friend of friend, this is first hand.

So don't get me wrong, Suzi's are good motors, but they are not invincible nor the highest performance known to man:P

Let the games begin..

TM

Noelm
12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
While Suzuki make a good engine, they have also had their share of problems, (and some of them have been rather bad) just as have Yamaha and everyone else, the 175 is indeed a great engine, propbably go down in history as one of the all time greats, kind of like the old 90HP carby Yamaha and the 70 and V4 Johnson/Evinrude, motors that have stood the test of time and won!

TheSaint
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Quieter than any other engine

I was in my mate's boat with suzuki 50hp 4 banger & i found the motor to be quite noisy. The motor had alot of noise coming from the parts moving which was disappointing. I know i would still put a yamaha or maybe mercury in this motor class - 50hp/60hp.

ranga7
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm not saying there invincible and of course your going to hear some bad luck stories, just saying in my opinion and its based on observation and research as I've just brought my own that suzuki are at the top of the tree. In saying that i don't think there is much in it and that yamaha, honda and merc 4st would all be excellent motors also but suzuki is excellenta.:)
Suzi's are good motors, but time for a reality check.

If you think a 3.6 v6 Suzi 200 will outperform a Yamie vmax sho 200 4.2 v8, or an opti 3.0 v6 2 smoke, or a etec ho 3.3 2 smoke you're dreaming.

All outboards can break down, I was with a well known charter this year that solely uses Suzi's. One of the three dries 70hp died, and in addition, one of the two 300hp boats died. They had to swap out the 70hp at sea. This is not a friend of friend, this is first hand.

So don't get me wrong, Suzi's are good motors, but they are not invincible nor the highest performance known to man:P

Let the games begin..

TM

stevej
12-06-2012, 09:14 AM
and on sunday just gone on botany aby and at the ramp i didnt see one suzuki, lots of yamahas and mercs
thats just talking of newish engines and ignoring the old johnos everywhere, i even saw two cryshlers running

it all depends on local support and dealer pushing them in your area
in sydney one dealer is so overpriced it aint funny and ones a fishing shop

team_mongo
12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm not saying there invincible and of course your going to hear some bad luck stories, just saying in my opinion and its based on observation and research as I've just brought my own that suzuki are at the top of the tree. In saying that i don't think there is much in it and that yamaha, honda and merc 4st would all be excellent motors also but suzuki is excellenta.:)

True, Suzis are very good motors. I'm sure you will love yours.
TM

Dan5
12-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I was in my mate's boat with suzuki 50hp 4 banger & i found the motor to be quite noisy. The motor had alot of noise coming from the parts moving which was disappointing. I know i would still put a yamaha or maybe mercury in this motor class - 50hp/60hp.

Oh really....::)......in which labaratory was this defined :P..........did you read my full post?

Salted thankyou,
Dan

TheSaint
12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
yes i did but on public forum it doesn't means the statements are always true.. ;)

Argle
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Cant say enough about the Suzy 175 - I know I love mine to bits and Im sure you will love yours just as much

Cheers

outwide1
12-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't know mate - I have a perfect 175hp Suzuki just had 240 hour service and still purs like a kitten and runs probably as hard as your boat and as far as your boat but mine with a 240l tank and your with a 500l tank - that is one good reason for nice balanced outfit with an economical motor over 5 tonne of US plastic with a 300hp Yami screaming it's socks off and on fire - mate every time I see that avatar pic of yours I hope you get the thing put out before the plastic catches fire and you sink ;D

Some may think I am being a bit harsh on Muddy - but anyone who suggests my 175 Suzzy would make a good anchor - shame shame >:( :)

Ranga7 good call on the 175hp Suzuki a sweet motor :thumbsup:

Hey Trev,what sort of km can you cover with your 175hp Suzuki and 240ltr tank?
Just curious mate as this the engine of choice for my next engine up grade?
Cheers Mick

FisHard
12-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I would have loved a Yamaha 4 stroke when I repowered the Seafarer, but the price from Wynnum Marine was THOUSANDS more than the deal I secured on the Suzi. I thought George was quoting on 2 motors, not 1! Lol! Anyway, I'm happy with it and that much I do know. I will say though, that I'm not blown away by the economy. Its ok, but maybe I was expecting better. I've only just got it propped right, so it will be interesting to see how it is now (got a 3 day trip planned for mid July to Whitsundays outer reef)

Mossy247
12-06-2012, 03:55 PM
If only KTM made outboards LoL Depends what colour you p!ss really. Each have there own problems. I don't beleive one is outstanding. To each their own. Unless KTM made outboards ;D

ozscott
12-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I think the OP was just excited about his new motor. Well done mate. Im sure it will be great. Dont place too much store in what the VMR's, police etc use because they change their minds like their undies, and often it depends purely on purchase price for the government and a the public service idea of what is good value when it comes to the govt purchases. Just look at the cars they get.

I think all modern engines are pretty good, some better than others.

Cheers

Beatsworkin2
12-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Wow and the wank show continues and if u want to have a go I own a etech because my 8 year old said to buy it hope he is right

Spaniard_King
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Wow and the wank show continues and if u want to have a go I own a etech because my 8 year old said to buy it hope he is right

I saw my local VMR with Etecs as well so i guess your son is correct.

Vitamin Sea
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I've got a 200 Suzi and love it! I would challenge any other 200hp motor (2 or 4st, new or old tech) to out perform it. If you think all 4 strokes are sluggish, try one of the upper hp Suzis! You'll be doing this :D
Good luck with your rig mate.

Big statement, interesting up against a 200 Opti on the same boat

Cheers

Boat Hog
12-06-2012, 06:16 PM

Your son doesn't happen to own a Tackleworld store and have his own TV show by any chance? :P;D

TREVELLY
12-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey Trev,what sort of km can you cover with your 175hp Suzuki and 240ltr tank?
Just curious mate as this the engine of choice for my next engine up grade?
Cheers Mick

Outwide,

Mate I am no guru in studying the fuel but have found enough times when I go from Mooloolaba up to say Hards and check on the screen return trip is 75km so return trip with a full day spent drifting here and there I am using about 150litres - I try and do about 4200 rpm it seems best performance to revs for motor on my boat and travels at that rpm about 40-45kph weather permitting of course.

Does the HDS10 Lowrance have a trip meter on it? I don't know :)

Nothing definitive there but hopefully it helps.

Would be great if the Suzi had smart gauges.

I can't be bothered with flow meter in fuel line and calibration etc - something just plug in would be good.

Mind you last trip out solo to the banks then up to Hards and about I went up there on 4200 rpm and returned in the dark similar 3900rpm and for that fishing trip used only 110 litres it was calm and perfect conditions so the boat trimmed nicely and ran well and easily. Bit of a chop and bump up the consumption for same trip to 150 litres.

FisHard
12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Big statement, interesting up against a 200 Opti on the same boat

Cheers
You're probably right, that was a big call! It certainly kicks arse though, much better than the twin 115s that was on it.

stevemid
12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
With all the boat manufacturers going into administration, I wonder how HH is doing, not that that old ever affect Suzuki themselves. Still, if the 4strokes are pretty much a much of a muchness, when you put a bit of risk management around it, it terms of support viability, zuk/HH would come out last IMO.

NAGG
12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
There is no doubt that the Suzuki have a good product these days ....... Is it better than a Honda or Yamaha ? ....... Hmmmm you would have to think long and hard about that one to answer honestly . I think it boils down to personal choice & what particular output motor you are talking about.
The negative for me when it comes to Suzuki is that it is not backed in Oz by the factory & is reliant on the Haines Group for support ..... maybe not a biggie but certainly a concern .

Chris

PinHead
12-06-2012, 07:59 PM
I have owned..mariner, evinrude, yamaha, suzuki, volvo and mercury.

Would I have a Suzuki again?..never..not even if i was given one..heaps of crap.

fisho8
12-06-2012, 08:08 PM

What people saying nice things about an outboard and have an opinion on things what is your opinion mate oh that's right you must not have one and yes please do not say the word Etec too loud around here as it can be considered a swearing by some if you have nothing releavent to say them best not say anything at all.:)

Cheers Mick

Giveitacrack
12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Come on blokes we all no that Chrysler built some of the finest marine engines ever built.The old boy had one on his rig in the early 80's and if I remember when it went....it went bloody fast but not very often.I think the old Hartley liked the peace of the trailer and not the roar of the mighty Chrysler when it went.The ride home was sweet though with the matching Chrylser VJ Valiant tow car.Those were the days.

NAGG
12-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Would I have a Suzuki again?..never..not even if i was given one..heaps of crap.

Out of curiosity ..... what year suzuki ?
My experience with a older suzuki (late 80's) was not a pleasant one either ..... what a heap of crap - but I won't compare it to a 2012 one.

Swanie1975
12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=TREVELLY.

I can't be bothered with flow meter in fuel line and calibration etc - something just plug in would be good.[/QUOTE]

if you want something that plugs in and gives you all the gps and fuel figures you need then have a look at the garmin GMI10 gauges. i got mine as a package with the motor but they feed of a nmea2000 network with a gps antenna

cheers ryan:)

ps the possible lack of factory back-up doesnt worry me cos its never gonna break:P not like the old suzi 2 smokes ha ha

thylacene
12-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Outwide,

Mate I am no guru in studying the fuel but have found enough times when I go from Mooloolaba up to say Hards and check on the screen return trip is 75km so return trip with a full day spent drifting here and there I am using about 150litres - I try and do about 4200 rpm it seems best performance to revs for motor on my boat and travels at that rpm about 40-45kph weather permitting of course.

I can't be bothered with flow meter in fuel line and calibration etc - something just plug in would be good.

Trev, the Zook is NMEA compliant, we have ours hooked up and use a Garmin 750s to display instruments and data, this link shows fuel overlay on gps. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h5rIOwlNWEo/TV8yx6niwrI/AAAAAAAAAG0/C2bQl4pSh5Q/s800/fuel%2520at%252021%2520knots%2520from%2520nmea2000 .jpg

We have a 6.3m Caribbean with full screen and hardtop, nice conditions is 0.5 - 0.6 l/km, from 15 to 24 knots, increases to 0.7 - 0.8 when it gets sloppy, and if it is crappy enough 1.0 to 1.2 at 10 to 14 knots off the plane, drops to 0.6 if we drop to 7 knots and throw out lures for bait. Best economy when cruising is between 3800 and 4300 rpm.

When trolling at 7 knots, 0.5 in good conditions, and it increases about point one for each knot of current we head into.

Hope this helps

shy guys
12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
All comes down to personal preference some like ford some like Holden we all shop around to get the best price end of the day it's 2012 not 1982 all the outboard manufactures these day offer long warentys so they all in all got to be as good as each other be it Suzuki Honda Yamaha evinrude mercury which color do you like better

Jerk n Wined
12-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I think alot of people look at the cowling and colour of the engine and go WOW this looks great. It must be the world best four stroke because it has a grill thingy in the cowling and black colour and cool stickers and shiny prop and da da da and da da da.........

You go to the dealer and find out they are cheap, so you buy one.
You find out then- they make lots of noise at cruise speeds, costs sh!t loads to service, dont want to take the boat out every time the weather is good because those hours build up so quickly and service will be due soon, arnt as good on fuel as you has presumed, keep starting the engine when its already at idle, need a full battery to kick the thing over, fan belt breaks, stickers fade within 6 months and then u forget to put the bloody bungs in...................

I love stirring the pot..

By the way the old 2st 25 suzuki use to crank, they were baned in the IRB surf racing because they had too many cc's for that size engine. They were the grey with gold stickers.

Dicko
13-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I think they went with the black colouring as a sales/brand association thing to tap into most peoples knowledge that mercs are great and damn quick. :)

Jarrah Jack
13-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I think they went with the black colouring as a sales/brand association thing to tap into most peoples knowledge that mercs are great and damn quick to fall apart.

Edited for accuracy.

Sorry Dicko, couldn't help myself.;D

ranga7
13-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Pretty sure the new ones are a bit better then the 1940's model.

Andy56
13-06-2012, 06:20 PM
When I test drove 2 signature 543rfs, They had 115 suzis. To tell the truth, I didn't think they were that flash out of the hole and were noisy at full revs. I ended up going for the 130 etec instread, a much better fit. I should have gone for the 150 etec and I am kicking my self now. The 175 suzi 4 stroke would probably be the same as 150 etec in outright performance. I am not saying one is better than the other, just the world as I see it. If you check out performance results with Mercury's new 150 4 stroke, Its no better or worse than any other 4 stroke of comparable output out there. Suzis rule the world?, not if the price isn't right.

Jerk n Wined
13-06-2012, 06:20 PM
This is such a sh!t subject on the forum... Its good to talk about any problems people have had. But to say a brand has taken over or to say ones sh!t loads better than another... come on mannnn.... get with the times

Still,, dont mind having a drink and reading the banta

Muddy Toes
13-06-2012, 06:30 PM
This is such a sh!t subject on the forum... Its good to talk about any problems people have had. But to say a brand has taken over or to say ones sh!t loads better than another... come on mannnn.... get with the times

I totally agree, why would people ever think their motor is better than a Yamaha?Get with the times people !!!!

SunnyCoastMark
13-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Outwide,

Mind you last trip out solo to the banks then up to Hards and about I went up there on 4200 rpm and returned in the dark similar 3900rpm and for that fishing trip used only 110 litres it was calm and perfect conditions so the boat trimmed nicely and ran well and easily. Bit of a chop and bump up the consumption for same trip to 150 litres.

Hey Trev,
So are you saying that you only achieved 0.5km per litre? - 150 litres for a 75 km round trip? -- doesn't sound like very good figures to me. Equates to roughly $225 for a 75 km trip? Pretty good reason NOT to buy a zuke ......:-?

Maybe the noble was taking on a bit of water with that cracked transom??;)

Mark

TREVELLY
13-06-2012, 07:29 PM
No SCM not quite - top end of Hards is 75km to Mooloolaba - unless you know a short cut being local?

For my return run to ramp I do a quick check on screen to see how far in a straight line so I get an idea of how long it will take averaging the speed I will be doing - so like I said - measuring the return trip at 75km . . . .

So simple maths is . . . . 75 + 75 plus running around the marks and not taking a straight path North anyway ie via The Banks so more like 170 to 190km for 110 to 150 litres. . . . . (sigh)

:)

Mister
13-06-2012, 07:40 PM
First impressions of these types of posts, oh another self disguised advertisement :) but given time the real story always romps through the veil and cloud of intention.

outta line
13-06-2012, 07:42 PM
some racist bastard... painted my 200 zuk white ... and put jonhno stickers on it....::)::)::)

PinHead
13-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Out of curiosity ..... what year suzuki ?
My experience with a older suzuki (late 80's) was not a pleasant one either ..... what a heap of crap - but I won't compare it to a 2012 one.

yes..it was an older one but once bitten twice shy. Last Holden I had was a piece of junk also..would I ever buy another Holden..no chance.

TREVELLY
13-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Yep that's why after owning a Landcruiser over three decades ago I swore I would never get another one - had the Patrol for decades and on my second one now - what a wonderful tractor they are.

To reconfirm my suspicions I bought a second Landcruiser only a decade ago another piece of junk - then got another wonderful Patrol all 4WDs 4.2 diesels.

Well I reckon next one will be another try at the Landcruiser as I think they might have it finally right with the V8 diesel - but everything before it has been rubbish.

Jarrah Jack
yes..it was an older one but once bitten twice shy. Last Holden I had was a piece of junk also..would I ever buy another Holden..no chance.

But you still barrack for the rabbits..............

NAGG
First impressions of these types of posts, oh another self disguised advertisement :) but given time the real story always romps through the veil and cloud of intention.

sometimes yes -sometimes a case of looking for reaffirmation & other times shit I've bought a good piece of kit and want to share it with the world ........ that's the nice thing about the net - it's up to the reader to sort through the chaff - but adds are the easiest to spot !!!

Chris

NAGG
13-06-2012, 08:06 PM

One thing I have learned - never say never ........ ! Technology changes on a daily basis - I'm a holden fan but have bought a ford by choice ....... 20 years ago I would have never thought of owning a Subaru ...... I bought 2 during the 2000's - and today I own a jeep ( a never never car) ..... hey I've even bought 3 Shimano reels this year;)

Chris

LittleSkipper
13-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Yep that's why after owning a Landcruiser over three decades ago I swore I would never get another one - had the Patrol for decades and on my second one now - what a wonderful tractor they are.

To reconfirm my suspicions I bought a second Landcruiser only a decade ago another piece of junk - then got another wonderful Patrol all 4WDs 4.2 diesels.

Well I reckon next one will be another try at the Landcruiser as I think they might have it finally right with the V8 diesel - but everything before it has been rubbish.

One thing about Toyota now is they have there very own nickname! Want to buy a vehicle that is recalled? Then buy a "TOYOTA RECALL"

NAGG
13-06-2012, 10:16 PM
One thing about Toyota now is they have there very own nickname! Want to buy a vehicle that is recalled? Then buy a "TOYOTA RECALL"

A recall is part of the fun of owning a car these days ...... I've had a holden , ford , subaru & toyota recalled - these days it's called OVOID POSSIBLE LITIGATION !

Chris

TREVELLY
14-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Yep I have had the present Nissan Patrol recalled twice - didn't bother with second recall - something stupid about tightening up the wheel nuts!

I currently have a Noble Boat that should be recalled!

ranga7
14-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Just and observation and opinion mate, if its a "sh!t subject" stop posting and go read kayaking.

finga
14-06-2012, 08:13 AM
I might be a bit slow in all this but......
How do you strap a motorcycle on the back of a boat??
That's what Suzuki make isn't it?
Fancy strapping an old smelly DT 175 on the back of a nice boat. Yuk.

Fed
14-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Is the current crop of Suzukis a copy from another motor/ bulit under licence or is it their own brand new thing?

I wouldn't trust them to be in it for the long haul myself.

chris69
14-06-2012, 08:14 PM
As far as i know Fed the suzuki motors are there car blocks i think honda do the some thing.

Jerk n Wined
14-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Just and observation and opinion mate, if its a "sh!t subject" stop posting and go read kayaking.

ha ha, actually yes it is a stupid subject (im not singling you out) and yes i have been observing the offshore reports latly. That crazy lunatic kayak guy goes and chases mackerel. I will let you know more info once i finish reading all the posts.

Spaniard_King
14-06-2012, 09:05 PM
As far as i know Fed the suzuki motors are there car blocks i think honda do the some thing.

Yeh... how many car engines do you see getting around with the sump between the radiator and the block.... Think about it... just not possible to use a car block on an outboard

Matt76
14-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeh... how many car engines do you see getting around with the sump between the radiator and the block.... Think about it... just not possible to use a car block on an outboard

I was told by 2 different honda outboard salesmen that the 115 4 stroke was a honda civic engine....are they full of crap?

I understand the sump issue, but assumed they were the same block.

Andy56
14-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Me thinks too many people get hungover about where their motors come from. ITS AN OUTBOARD MOTOR, get over it!

thylacene
14-06-2012, 11:52 PM

The DT 175 is a Yamaha, for real 81240. If ya really wanted a smelly old Suzuki it would have to be a TS 175.81241 And the one on the right is a Honda (and its a four stroke, the others are 2's).

The bikes in those photos are almost 40 years old now (from http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_dt_175_1975.php and http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/22640-you-your-motorbike-3.html)

Guess you wouldn't have yammy or honda either? ;D

TREVELLY
15-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Yep I used to have a beautiful sky blue Honda 175 motorbike when i was young and silly - the thing peaked at 100kph on a downhill run where the local quarry trucks rarely went under 110kph - got run off the road twice then bought a car - figured they could be third time lucky.

Honda's are a nice outboard - personally i would be happy with a Honda, Suzuki or even a Yamaha (except Muddy owns one of them) - the reason i went Suzuki 175 is it is the biggest 4 cylinder and gets good economy.

If Honda did a 175hp four cylinder i might well have bought that as for the Yamaha . . . . well . . . . . Muddy has one of them :)

240 hours later I am still happy with that decision.

softplasticsdude79
15-06-2012, 05:51 AM

hahah,imagine how cool it would when it hits powerband,you could save that for bar crossings.

Spaniard_King
15-06-2012, 06:40 AM
I was told by 2 different honda outboard salesmen that the 115 4 stroke was a honda civic engine....are they full of crap?= YES

Its possible some of the technolgy came from that engine i.e fuel injection system, engine management but actual hardware = NO

finga
15-06-2012, 07:50 AM
The DT 175 is a Yamaha, for real

Guess you wouldn't have yammy or honda either? ;D
Gees I stuffed up there didn't I??
Thanks so much for the correction. :)
And yep. I like old Honda's. I have 3 of them.
A 1968 C90. A gold 1969 CL 175 and a blue 1970 CB 175

Yep I used to have a beautiful sky blue Honda 175 motorbike when i was young and silly - the thing peaked at 100kph on a downhill run where the local quarry trucks rarely went under 110kph - got run off the road twice then bought a car - figured they could be third time lucky.
Mine is an aqua sort of blue just like this one. Mine goes faster then 100km/hr. It goes at least 105km/hr ;)
http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1650&d=1167400252

But back to the thread.....I always wanted to bung an engine out of a BMW K100 or similar in a boat. Nice and compact as it's a fallen over inline 4, plenty of power, 4 stroke, shaft drive out of the gearbox and quite. And you could bung a turbo on as easy as.

johncar
15-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Ten years ago I would have said "I will never own a black outboard" thinking more of the other popular brand at the time, for me it had to be white, just what I knew well, grew up with OMC and was comfortable with it. So now here I am with a black Suz motor and I would even possibly consider the other black motor.
They all seemed to have evolved and possibly a more level playing field these days with most engines so it's good to have so many options. As far as taking over, it is noticeable the gain in recent popularity possibly due to price advantage with their economy and performance but Yamaha had that, Mercs and OMC in their day and so on maybe someone elses turn soon. I own a little suzuki car as well which seems to be going well and have owned a Suz motor cycle which was no worries either. I feel reasonable confident with the brand and despite their early days in 2 stroke outboards I have seen no reason why not to give them a go.
If I were in the market for a new engine I would be happy to go Suzuki again but would also consider others as well and may depend on the deal and what may best suit the boat.

chris69
15-06-2012, 12:04 PM

The suzuki DF50 815cc suzuki swift the older 60-70hp suzuki sierra block same as the honda 4cylinder civic 1.5lt 75hp and accord V6 for there larger outboards ,there dry sumped,the new honda civic hybred motor is the 75hp honda same ccs 1495 same bore and stroke 73x89.4 there not going to do a heap of RD on something new while everything is just sitting on the shelf and proven,some of the bigger hp 4cylinder suzuki outboards my very well have a different block as there 2950 ccs there abouts.

Boat Hog
15-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I was told by 2 different honda outboard salesmen that the 115 4 stroke was a honda civic engine....are they full of crap?

Matt ..... .... you sure they didn't say that a 115 honda 4 stoke outboard costs as much as a honda civic?

That's what my wife asked the salesman when she heard the cost of repowering to a Honda 150 .... the conversation went something like this:

Wife; "What! That's as much as a car! Where's the rest of it?!!"
Salesman; "It's the salt water. You put an outboard in salt water but you don't put a car in salt water."
Wife; "You've obviously never seen my husband at the boat ramp!"

Cheers,

Jarrah Jack
15-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Gees I stuffed up there didn't I??
Thanks so much for the correction. :)
And yep. I like old Honda's. I have 3 of them.
A 1968 C90. A gold 1969 CL 175 and a blue 1970 CB 175

Mine is an aqua sort of blue just like this one. Mine goes faster then 100km/hr. It goes at least 105km/hr ;)
http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1650&d=1167400252

But back to the thread.....I always wanted to bung an engine out of a BMW K100 or similar in a boat. Nice and compact as it's a fallen over inline 4, plenty of power, 4 stroke, shaft drive out of the gearbox and quite. And you could bung a turbo on as easy as.

Very nice Finga. I had a CB 350 for a while. Wish I still had that and the Honda Dream, my first bike. What a classic, ever seen one?

Matt76
15-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Haha I love it.

I agree you are paying the same for a motor and gearbox as you do for a whole car. Doesnt add up.

Matt ..... .... you sure they didn't say that a 115 honda 4 stoke outboard costs as much as a honda civic?

That's what my wife asked the salesman when she heard the cost of repowering to a Honda 150 .... the conversation went something like this:

Wife; "What! That's as much as a car! Where's the rest of it?!!"
Salesman; "It's the salt water. You put an outboard in salt water but you don't put a car in salt water."
Wife; "You've obviously never seen my husband at the boat ramp!"

Cheers,

Jarrah Jack
15-06-2012, 02:22 PM
http://p1.bikepics.com/2004%5C12%5C21%5Cbikepics-261449-320.jpg

Here's one, mine was black.

finga
15-06-2012, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Jarrah Jack;1393000]Very nice Finga. I had a CB 350 for a while. Wish I still had that and the Honda Dream, my first bike. What a classic, ever seen one?
The Elvis bike??
Yeah matey and you've hit the nail bang on the head.....A classic bike.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oAwZBxwVrNI/Tzf90vxTBBI/AAAAAAAABCY/vw0PTiEo4DQ/s400/P1011882elvis.jpg

Spaniard_King
15-06-2012, 06:42 PM
The suzuki DF50 815cc suzuki swift the older 60-70hp suzuki sierra block same as the honda 4cylinder civic 1.5lt 75hp and accord V6 for there larger outboards ,there dry sumped,the new honda civic hybred motor is the 75hp honda same ccs 1495 same bore and stroke 73x89.4 there not going to do a heap of RD on something new while everything is just sitting on the shelf and proven,some of the bigger hp 4cylinder suzuki outboards my very well have a different block as there 2950 ccs there abouts.

Chris the only Parts that may be the same is possibly the pistons. the whole engine configuration has to change from cars to outboards... all the bolt ons would be different.

chris69
15-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Yer i agree pistons crank ,rods ,heads, and block, they just mold up the exhaust and inlet manifolds,as i said bore stroke is the same,the 75hp outboard is actually detuned to the civic motor thus giveing reliability as the motor is understressed ,why would they not use the same Vtec single overhead cam head for the 75hp outboard and civic car motor,instead of casting up a cast iorn block the just do a alloy block.

Spaniard_King
15-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Yer i agree pistons crank ,rods ,heads, and block, they just mold up the exhaust and inlet manifolds,as i said bore stroke is the same,the 75hp outboard is actually detuned to the civic motor thus giveing reliability as the motor is understressed ,why would they not use the same Vtec single overhead cam head for the 75hp outboard and civic car motor,instead of casting up a cast iorn block the just do a alloy block.

Chris, they are totally different./.. NOTHING IS INTERCHANGEABLE if it is.. go try and build one... many engines share the same bore and stroke.. do you think they all share the same parts::)

Dan5
17-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Chris, they are totally different./.. NOTHING IS INTERCHANGEABLE if it is.. go try and build one... many engines share the same bore and stroke.. do you think they all share the same parts::)

Harley Davidson and Massey Ferguson..............................Harley Ferguson................Didn't they share parts? ;D

The_Tub
17-06-2012, 08:49 AM
suzukis are a 4st jonno painted black ha ha

justlovefishing
18-06-2012, 06:48 AM
hope you have plenty of fuel stops aviable. the v8 landcruiser loves to drink fuel. other than that I am happy with mine

chris69
18-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi spanard found this on the Hulltruth
One reason an outboard is priced the way it is, is because the market allows it to be. Keep in mind marine engine manufacturers whether tied to a large parent company or not such as in the case of Honda, has revenue responsibilities built in. Since the volume of OB engines is less, and the car volumes more then exceeds the OB volumes, OB's have heftier prices to meet their revenue commitments. This is only part of the equation. Honda is unique in that it uses it's proven auto engines. Yamaha, Merc, Zuke and Bombardier, don't have such a setup. Other than maybe Yamaha now uses their V8 built for Ford in their 4 stroke 350. Other than that these manufacturers engineer from the bottom up, not the top down. So more cost is involved. Honda is unique and my guess their margins are a lot larger then the others.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/cb/statusicon/user_offline.gif