PDA

View Full Version : Medium BC/OH Reel Advice

Junk Hard
10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
It is time to bight the bullet and buy a quality medium rod/reel. At the moment I'm fishing a 2-4kg Pflueger Trion with 2000 diawa legalis with 8lb braid for the pin etc. but recently there have been some big bust offs that I have put down to jews and/or big snapper. I have an old cheap spin setup with 12lb braid and I use for bottom bashing in Moreton Bay but it is about to fall apart.
So the question has become does anyone use (or is it advisable to use) a heavier, old-style baitcaster (Daiwa Millionaire Classic) to cast for jacks/jewies (and maybe barra in the future) as well as an overhead for reef fishing and bottom bashing in about 20m of water? I’m looking for a versatile setup that can be used for both for about $300 if it is possible.

Horse
10-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I would probably prefer a 4000-5000 sized spin reel for its versatility then buy a dedicated outfit for the Reef work at a later stage. The 4000 sized reel will knock over any Snapper in 20m of water but will be caught short on Kings etc in SEQ and most reefies in coral areas