PDA

View Full Version : Dohles Rock Boat Ramp

gruntahunta
10-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Has anyone used the Dohles Rock boat ramp lately? Can you get a 4.75M onto trailer at low tide by yourself?

I am asking as the deep water bend ramp is almost impossible to mange by yourself when tide is racing and has stopped me from going many times when I have nothing to do and decide I should just hook boat up and go.

Freeeedom
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
The problems associated with the tidal run would be much worse at the Dohle's Rocks ramp because it protrudes out into the river from the bank. I don't use it any more because there's nowhere to pull up your boat at high tide except the ramp and the rock walls. I regularly launch and retrieve my boat at Deep Water Bend by myself with no difficulty at any stage of the tide. Because the ramp is in a cut into the bank the water is basically still and you have the pontoon to tie up to while you get your trailer. My boat is 4.6 metre Quintrex and I'm a not-very-mobile old goat with two artificial knees but I still manage it easily.
Cheers Freeeedom

Shawn 66
10-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Mate ,
Just to add to Freedoms thoughts . I use Deepwater Bend every weekend , and find it great for solo launch and retrieve .
I am a young/old goat with a metal plate in his spine , so you should have no problems whatsoever . The pontoon is a godsend . I have only used Dohles Rocks ramp once , the tidal run and exposure to the prevailing wind made it a nightmare .
Shawn

Feral
10-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Dohles rocks side has a lot less tidal run at low tide, as the main channel is on the other side of the river, with all the downstream banks exposed there is not a lot of flow there on low.

But I must say I have not launched there for about a year.

Mr__Bean
10-06-2012, 06:46 PM
And it is wide enough and quiet enough to put your trailer in on an angle to suit the run of tide.

Much easier to retreive if the back of your trailer is pointing the same way as the tide run or where strong wind may push the boat.

Darren

flatzie
11-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I just checked out the Deep Water ramp becuase like Freedom mentioned there are a lot of challenges with Dohles ramp. Its a pain with current and wind, and often waves from swells are coming up river and the wash there makes retrieving a pain, and as mentioned there is no way to secure your boat while getting or parking your car.
I beg to differ with what Feral said, the channel is on the ramp side, thats where the run is. If you find Deep Water hard, you will find Dohles even worse.
Best of luck
Flatzie

Gon Fishun
11-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Has anyone used the Dohles Rock boat ramp lately? Can you get a 4.75M onto trailer at low tide by yourself?

I am asking as the deep water bend ramp is almost impossible to mange by yourself when tide is racing and has stopped me from going many times when I have nothing to do and decide I should just hook boat up and go.

You haven't got the ramps mixed up by any chance?

Shawn 66
12-06-2012, 04:26 AM
I just checked out the Deep Water ramp becuase like Freedom mentioned there are a lot of challenges with Dohles ramp. Its a pain with current and wind, and often waves from swells are coming up river and the wash there makes retrieving a pain, and as mentioned there is no way to secure your boat while getting or parking your car.
I beg to differ with what Feral said, the channel is on the ramp side, thats where the run is. If you find Deep Water hard, you will find Dohles even worse.
Best of luck
Flatzie
I have to agree about the channel

You haven't got the ramps mixed up by any chance?
I must admit I was thinking the same thing.
Shawn

tunaticer
13-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't have any troubles at any ramp on the Pine River, just use the tide to your advantage for retrieving and don't fight it. The lack of a pontoon there is something that could be looked at but it is not essential.
If you want a ramp with no current go to Clontarf.