PDA

View Full Version : book

randell
10-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Just finished reading a good book, Settler's Drift , by John Olsen an old Baffle Ck and Bundaberg trawlerman.
It was an exciting book , being new to the area myself.

randell

Matt_Campbell
10-06-2012, 01:04 PM
A fantastic bloke who drove the introduction of bycatch reduction devices and turtle excluder devices in the late 1990's on the east coast. A much-respected banana prawn trawl fisher who knew his stuff.

marto78
10-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Just finished reading a good book, Settler's Drift , by John Olsen an old Baffle Ck and Bundaberg trawlerman.
It was an exciting book , being new to the area myself.

randell

Thanks Randell I will keep my eye out for that one.

If you can get your hands on it, another great book about fishing is "Gone Fishing" by Nino Culotta (John O'grady).

It follows on from "There a Weird Mob" book/movie and is about a new Australian who takes up professional fishing back in the old days when they used to paddle boats and drop nets in the Northern Rivers area of NSW.

If you like fishing and aussie humour you will like this book.

Lucky_Phill
11-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Randell,

looked for it online.

Found it..... Publisher price $35.... major retailer..$74.00 ???

OR.

Book, "Settlers Drift", by John D. Olsen

The book is self published, and is now available. It is A4 in size, of 349 pages. Images are in black and white (100 plus), and is available through the QSIA@QSIA.com.au , or ask for Natalie, on 0732626855. John sells the book himself as well, (signed copies if requested) on 0408183845 or email : john.olsen6@bigpond.com . His postal address is P.O. Box 1852, Bundaberg, Qld, 4670

LP

randell
12-06-2012, 05:15 AM
thanks
I got from the Bundaberg public library, guess anyone could make a request for an inter-library loan if you wanted to read it..

randell

finga
12-06-2012, 07:26 AM
I read a lot of books and reading books that you can relate to seem all the more interesting.
I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Another 'local' book about fishing is a series of short, humerous, stories penned by Bob Staines.
It's entitled Wot a Whopper Fishing's Funniest Stories. As the title suggests there's a few tall tales thrown in for good measure.