PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new tinny.

Fenno88
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Alright guys,

I am looking at purchasing a new tinny. My question is advantages to buying a "plate" tinny V's Normal Tinny.

I am looking at a Bluefin Rogue 4.2

I can pick a Rogue 4.2 tinny on a dunbier trailer new for $4750 drive away. Or I can pick up a Rogue 4.2 Plate on a dunbier trailer with extruded side decks for $5200 drive away.

Thoughts on what is best value for money?

I am new to the boating scene and buying a boat new.

I have a Merc 30hp 2 stroke long shaft to put on her, she has approx 30hours.

Vs

Cheers Steve

robothefisho
09-06-2012, 07:01 PM
On those boats the only difference is looks.

Tangles
09-06-2012, 07:06 PM
If you can afford a plate tinnie like the Origin 4x4 chalk and cheese but i doubt the 30 would go well on a true platey,

if your looking at the Bluefin or similar you wont regret getting the side decks so you fit rod holders etc, also i would also look at other brands as well and compare the specs, like Brooker, Sea Jay etc before you make your decision,

Cheers
Mike

kingcray
09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Fenno when i bought my 4.3m tinny 12 months ago, it was the side decks that sold me.... still really glad i went that way, so handy to have for mounting sounders rod holders etc..... except when youre showing off to your mate walking along the side of your boat then fall in :/

PADDLES
09-06-2012, 07:10 PM
i agree with tangles, i too reckon that 30 is right on the borderline with a 4.2m pressed boat, if a plate hull means extra weight you might be dissappointed with it's performance with that motor.

Moffy
09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
On those boats the only difference is looks.

and possibly a bit of weight - check the specs. (so motor choice might need to be different and hence different cost as well - that 30 might be a bit light on as said - a 40hp 3 pot Yammie would be gold on that "plate" hull.

is the rogue just thwart seats - or does it have the floor in between same as the "plate" one. if the rogue doesn't have the floor - then its a no brainer - cost you a lot more to get a floor put in after market.....(and that's even if you did the ply/carpet bits yourself!)

the side decks would be worth the extra alone - for me anyway. (and there's also the back step as well)

Moffy.

astro66
09-06-2012, 07:25 PM
wide gunwales add a heap of strength......for 450$ go the second one

Fenno88
09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I am thinking the 2nd alone for the gunwales.

Blue fin recommend min 25hp - Max 40hp (recommended HP 30) for both boats. As far as I am aware the pressed has chine - chine carpeted floor. Not to sure if it is the raised like in the "plate" model or the low look type??

Pressed Specs:
Length Overall: 4.20m
Beam: 1850
Hull depth: 960mm
Weight: ~220kg
Max HP: 40
Bottom Sheets: 3.0mm
Top Sides: 1.6mm
Transom Height: Long

Plate Specs:
Length Overall: 4.20m
Beam: 1850
Hull depth: 960mm
Weight: ~240kg
Max HP: 40
Bottom Sheets: 3.0mm
Top Sides: 2.5mm
Transom Height: Long

The bolded is the difference in specs.

They both have transem steps, side pockets front deck and hatch. The only difference I can see would be the gunwales, look and possibly the floor.

Gon Fishun
09-06-2012, 08:52 PM
You would have to go the plate with the advantages, just pack a light lunch and purge the bowels before you hit the water, saved 20 kg. ::)

Goodoo haven
09-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I reckon you always need to go with the max hp rating for the boat, because you are better of with more power than getting your new boat on the water and finding it is under powered and lacking hp. That is my opinion. Good lucky with your new boat.

Doug.

fisho8
09-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Plate FTW with the 40hp you need to consider weight of the gear you take out and any deckie's I looked at the Stacer 420 Rampage when I was shopping for a tinny and I went for a ride in one with a 40hp on the back and it got along great that extra 10hp makes so much differance. You want to do it right the first time mate have a look at a few brands and go from there.

wayno60
10-06-2012, 09:28 AM
The way im thinking, yes, if you were going to be useing it as much as some of us on here do, if you had all the leccy toys(sounder,VHF, GPS) and as said b4 a 40 would be the go, hence a new motor, yer for the 400odd dollars i would go the plate, but, if none of the above apply to you and you already have the motor for it then the pressed it is.
You can still buy some good rail mount rod holders and bits and pieces to make life easy.

cheers

Fenno88
10-06-2012, 12:10 PM
The motor I have currently is a 2001 30hp 2 stroke merc it has approx 30 hours on it. The missus old man gave it to me for nothing as he doesn't have a boat anymore and it was just sitting in his shed..

I also have a brand spanka Garmin 551s colour combo to go on and baitboard. It will normally be me + 1 decky in the boat maybe 3-4 on vary rare occasions.

Rod holders will get added in time with switch a switch panel battery etc.

If I were to upgrade the 30 I have to a 40 would I get much trade? Would it be worth selling it privately? If I did keep it would it be hugely underpowered? I just see the $5200 is to hard to pass up.

I currently have a 3.7 quintrex (well just sold) waiting for payment. I had the 30 on her, but since it was a l/s 30 and slightly over powered it made for some scary moments.

robothefisho
10-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Honestly the 30hp will be absolutely fine on that boat. A 40 is far better yes, but the 30 will do just fine when propped and mounted right. Normally the best mounting on tinnies is as high as you can possibly bolt the motor on with the twist clamps just under the lip so it cant slide up. ie, clamp the motor on with those and then bolt. You will probably end up with a 12 pitch prop being the best. The 30 will still plane with 4 people in it (just) but once up and running still cruise fine. With 2 people the 30 will be zippy. It is when they are rigged low on the transom with the cav plate about 2 inches below the hull they are a big doughy.

Blackened
10-06-2012, 03:15 PM
G'day

Personally i'd look at the "plate" option... and consider selling the 30 privately and using that cash to up to a 40. To give you an idea, I paid $4200 for my 50 tohatsu last August. A 40 would be a bit cheaper again and you'd still get good $ for a 30 in as good a condition as you say it is.

Dave

Goodoo haven
10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
G'day

Personally i'd look at the "plate" option... and consider selling the 30 privately and using that cash to up to a 40. To give you an idea, I paid $4200 for my 50 tohatsu last August. A 40 would be a bit cheaper again and you'd still get good $ for a 30 in as good a condition as you say it is.

Dave

Yeah, that is what I would do too.

Fenno88
11-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Cheers thanks guys. Just waiting on the bloke who bought my old tinny to organise a pick up date and time. The minister for home affairs will not let me have 2 boats at home. Something about I have too many toys at the moment.

banksmister
12-06-2012, 04:12 AM
The minister for home affairs will not let me have 2 boats at home. Something about I have too many toys at the moment.

Funny critters arnt they. Its ok to have 47 pair of shoes and 28 hand bags

Better check if the long shaft motor will suit the boat you buy