PDA

View Full Version : Stanage Bay

Horse
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I spent a week in Stanage Bay with Adrian (skipjack) and our time saw rain and strong winds:( with periods of no rain but stronger winds:P. We got out one day and brought home a good feed:D.
We headed out to some marks I found last year but the strong tide run and 20kn wind drove us to the shelter of the Duke Islands:-?. We poked around for a bit mainly exploring this amazing area but still put on board a couple of Lippers and Parrot. Most deeper areas are unfishable at full tide run (around the full moon) and some drifts saw us cracking the 4kn mark. The scenery is outstanding in some areas.
The wind dropped later in the day and we went back to my original marks. The tide was still running and our drift was about 3kn but as it slowed we started to put fish onboard. We ended up with a nice mixed bag of Grassies, Spanglies, Cod, Moses Pearch, Parrot Hussar and even a couple of Black Jew. We got blown away a few times on the heavy gear by unstoppables. After an hour or so of solid fishing we headed back to the ramp on dark but still had to wait a bit for enough water to access the ramp.
I can't wait until we get back next year with hopefully a few more windows of opportunity with the weather. I have posted about the camping and Crabbing in the Bay section

jtpython
08-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Hope to catch u up next time i was thinking about ya when i got back Wednesday night and this mongrel weather only got worse. Nice feed there thou
The current up that way is terribble in the big tides and the swell

JT

Horse
08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Hope to catch u up next time i was thinking about ya when i got back Wednesday night and this mongrel weather only got worse. Nice feed there thou
The current up that way is terribble in the big tides and the swell

JT

JT we will definitly catch up next year. You are not wrong about the tide creating a swell over the shallow grounds. It can create a 1m pressure wave on a calm sea. We had 1.5m inside Thirsty Sound on a big tide. It certainly keeps the cartoppers at home

Silent
09-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Health looking esky for a work day, shame couldn't get more offshore fishing days...

tunaticer
09-06-2012, 07:28 AM
The weather and Stanage Bay seem to lock horns for about 75% of my many visits there, maybe I am just a squall magnet??
Nice looking catch there in less than favorable conditions.
My next run up there will be a kayak adventure working over the islands and coastline for a week or two. Aiming for the September spanish mac run.

Horse
09-06-2012, 08:41 AM
The weather and Stanage Bay seem to lock horns for about 75% of my many visits there, maybe I am just a squall magnet??
Nice looking catch there in less than favorable conditions.
My next run up there will be a kayak adventure working over the islands and coastline for a week or two. Aiming for the September spanish mac run.

I'm not too sure about a Kayak out there. I would feel like one of those chickens held out for the crocs to jump up at. There is plenty of ground within an easy paddle that would see you in Maccy country

notenoughsickies
09-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Wow mate crazy weather. I'm heading up in a fortnight for seven days. Am hoping for good weather but you have shown even with small windows you can still chock the box. Last time I went up was in awe of the tidal flow. We are geared up to stay out at Percy's . Will post upon return

Horse
09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Wow mate crazy weather. I'm heading up in a fortnight for seven days. Am hoping for good weather but you have shown even with small windows you can still chock the box. Last time I went up was in awe of the tidal flow. We are geared up to stay out at Percy's . Will post upon return
Hopefully the weather gods will be kind to you. I will be looking for your post

madmackrel
10-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Beats workin.