PDA

View Full Version : what i should do. New boat pics

troy
06-06-2012, 07:05 PM
My boat is ready to be picked up and it is in Bundaberg.
I am from the Burdekin and i am after opinions of should i freight it or drive down and tow it back.
Freight cost $1400
If i pick it up myself then i have the cost of accom - fuel - food and the chance of mechanical break downs.
I have the time to do the trip but it will be only myself and wife -so that only leaves one driver.
Not worried about driving down even though it has been years since i did.
If you think i should do the trip can you give me some plans on the way back and whether i have to leave the highway for some where to stay.
My tow vehicle is a nissan navara dx tray back not sure of klms per tank of diesel.
I think it is about 990 klms from Bundaberg to my Town.
Also the worry about stone chips or any thing else.
All advise is very much appreciated.
Troy

TheSaint
06-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I would to the drive myself i highly doubt it would cost any more $600-$700 even if you overnighted somewhere.

Plus that extra saving of $700-$800 is new colour Sounder combo for the boat..

hooknpull
06-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Yeh take the mrs for a drive and get ur new boat... That's more fun!

Mister
06-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Lots of worthless excuses, nothing more rewarding than than bringing your own boat home, it's called experience, go for it, you won't regret it.

Giffo65
06-06-2012, 07:48 PM
What sort of boat and how big ?

Jarrah Jack
06-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I went through the same process not long ago. Ended up doing the drive myself. Didn't like trusting my new boat to someone else and wanted to meet the previous owner. Do the drive and enjoy yourself Troy, take your time and even think about putting the boat in somewhere on the way back. Could even be a second honeymoon..........;D

PADDLES
06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
troy, are you serious? the best time to inspect a new boat and get anything you're not happy with sorted out is before it even leaves the gates. fuel up the car champ and throw in some good cd's and the missus, you've got a roadtrip to do.

Chas & Clarry
06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Also it seems from some other threads on the forum that if you pay someone else to freight it, it is pretty much guaranteed to be damaged by the time it reaches you....if it reaches you ::) !!!

dblaj1
06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi Troy,

Well - I freighted mine without any problems whatsoever. In fact saved me a roadside drama with a dodgy wheel bearing that I discovered later.

2000km trip for you @ average 15lts per 100km with fuel at $1.50 means approx $450 in fuel. 3 nights accomodation and food a generous $400. So back of the envelope guess at costing you $850 to do it yourself. I'd do it......

But.... if you are worried about breaking down and stone chips and anything else - maybe freight will let you sleep better.

Shop around for freight - consider asking for a price to a freight depot near you rather than to your house.

Out of interest I paid $1100 depot to depot from Brisbane to Melbourne. Was not worth the drive.

Hope this helps.

goat boy
06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
If you go the freight option, make sure you research who you get very carefully. There are some woeful businesses out there, some even seem highly reputable......I have just taken 4 months to settle (although they wouldn't cover everything in the end) a claim with a freight mob and they have been woeful to deal with from the moment they picked my boat up. If you do go the freight option, pm me if you like and I can let you know 1 company to avoid at least.
Trust me, if you're worried about a few stone chips or whatever, an incompetent freight company can sh!t all over that in a heartbeat...Just make sure your insurance is right, whichever way you go.

troy
07-06-2012, 03:47 AM
I went through the same process not long ago. Ended up doing the drive myself. Didn't like trusting my new boat to someone else and wanted to meet the previous owner. Do the drive and enjoy yourself Troy, take your time and even think about putting the boat in somewhere on the way back. Could even be a second honeymoon..........;D
To old for a second honeymoon Jarrah can only dream.
I guess in all honesty i am worried if the body could go the distance as i suffer from a severe form of arthritis.
Have pain killers to take but try to aviod them.
Might have a go and take it easy.
Thanks for all replies.
troy

Shawn 66
07-06-2012, 06:22 AM
To old for a second honeymoon Jarrah can only dream.
I guess in all honesty i am worried if the body could go the distance as i suffer from a severe form of arthritis.
Have pain killers to take but try to aviod them.
Might have a go and take it easy.
Thanks for all replies.
troy
Never too old Troy .
Take your time , stop when you want to and have a break . The main thing would be to make the trip an enjoyable experience , not a chore .
Of course , the above is my opinion only .
Shawn

Apollo
07-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Troy
One of my parents has a similar condition to you and can't do long car drives. This doesn't stop them from going, just slows them down in doing it. As dad says, "I'm retired now, I don't need to rush" The trip from their place to ours is around 1000kms, which we do in one day, but they take three and enjoy the trip with no pain or regrets.

If you are a member or RACQ, consider upgrading to the level of membership (I think it is Ultra) where you are covered (hire car, return towing, etc) for issues away from home, which will alleviate the breakdown issue.

Take some tools, so you can tweak things on your way home on the trailer (if needed).

Even give some thought of doing a sea trial and a fish at Bundy or the way home to break up the trips a bit.

All the best.
Steve

troy
07-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Can any Members recommend accommodation on highway north of Rocky.
Thanks
Troy

FishHunter
07-06-2012, 07:01 AM
If you plan to stop around Mackay make sure to book well in advance as the motels are always full and make sure there is room to park your boat when booking.

bigjudge
07-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Troy why dont you overnight at the true blue motel just out of rocky on the north side they have boat parking,If you decide to overnight in rocky and get stuck with some where to leave it send me your contact details you are quite welcome to leave at my joint i live on an acre right on the bruce hwy just north of rocky(10min) also have big dog so it will be secure.
CHEERS AND BEERS

Dan5
07-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Make sure you have some insurance mate.....even a cover note or something.....just in case,you never know what may happen.

Dan

finga
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
If I was you matey (and I wished I was in the same predicament) I'd be taking a week or longer and going and getting it.
How long can your wife take off?
Take your time and enjoy the trip and your wife for a week. What else is would be better to do?
See a place you like...pull over and enjoy it. If you travel only 200kms for a day....who cares??
Stone chips?? If you don't follow 10m of the bum of someone else you won't get many. Take things steady and it will be a very relaxed trip.

Go for a trip and enjoy it. ;)

thelump
07-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Do the drive mate. Its not that far. 2 x days drive 1 x nights accommodation. Easy. Leave Burdekin 4am get to Bundy around 4pm. Get boat. Get Room. Sleep in till 6 drive home! Half the price of transport!

marto78
07-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Have you had a look at putting it on the train? Just another option

clevelandv8
07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
road trip!
get a tarp, straps etc and cover the boats nose.
take it easy, chill.
take a tent?
big eskie and healthy snacks instead of roadhouse rubbish.
put up the places you'd like to stop, if i was around and you were going past id always let people stay, (do in the car club i'm in) it's called what goes around, and i love meeting new people with the same interest.
most importantly, do it safely.

oh, and don't forget about putting up a heap of photos of your trip! we all love photos!

mick

cormorant
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Collect it

Do a on water test with the dealer to checlk engine heights, leaks , trailer set up, props and any damage . Make sure all the stuff you ordered and all the safety gear is there and sort out paperwork.

Sort any issues while down there directly with the dealer so the little things don't give you the craps when you get home.

Enjoy a couple of days there abouts having a look at a different waterway.

As others have said sort the insurance and comply with what they say in regards to where it can be left and secured on the way home. You may need a Klamp it, towball lock -hitch helmet , hitch lock , engine clamp lock etc to meet their reqirements if it isn't on private property overnight. Check straps and tiedowns , rollers , spare tyre and wheelbearings etc.

Yeah I know I am not a real trusting guy but I find I have a lot less trouble with goods when I inspect them and the people selling to me know I am picking it up and doing a test before I leave.

Good luck, hope either way you get it home that it is the boat you expect . Nothing like that new boat feeling.

ovakil
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
If I was doing trip,I would buy 2 spare hubs or brake disc from super cheap for spare,make it home good then get wife return hubs back to supercheap & say wrong ones.
Just make sure you have some tools.
I know the HWY between Rocky & Sarina there is no shops at all.
Cheap insurance.

fin101
07-06-2012, 05:18 PM
I had to make the same decision when I bought my new rig from a dealer in VIC, it was a nightmare trying to get someone to ring me back from more than half the so called boat transporters that I called. A good many had not enough insurance, if they were so unreliable running their businesses that way there was no way I was going to entrust them with a $100k boat. Go get it yourself, check it before it leaves the dealers, insurance should be no problem for you at all, take a mate along and enjoy the experience and feel confident in the fact that it is you who is doing the pick up and that you will do everything in your power to do it properly and safely, get home have a snooze and then go out and have a ball in your new boat. It will also be a good indicator of how well your boat trailers. I got so fed up with the transporters,I jumped in my car at 2pm from sydney, got to Melb at 12.20am, spent a good day with the dealers then turned around and drove back, bloody good trip and was glad I did it.

troy
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM
All of you have convinced me to go and pick it up.
So now i have to plan the trip and i will be away to Bundy.
Getting my Navara serviced Friday any more tips for the trip.
BTW i like my cigs and very few places to stay these days that allows this bad behaviour even on the balconly if you can find one.
Troy

troy
07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I did not mention what boat it is and i should have because the Builder of my boat has posted me photos of the boat from the beginning to the finished product and he was excellent to deal with and i could not have wished for better service .
It is a Seajay 5.6 Predaking Extreme Plate Boat and if it rides as good as it looks then i will be very happy.
It is made in Bundaberg and owned by a local business.
Troy

finga
08-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Road trip.....
You'll have a ball Troy old mate.
Take the time to enjoy your wife and the trip. :)

Hints for the trip....Spare wheel for the boat and ask the dealer if he's checked the grease in the hubs and if the bearings are adjusted correctly......and don't forget the safety chain on the front for the boat.

SunnyCoastMark
08-06-2012, 07:53 AM
I did not mention what boat it is and i should have because the Builder of my boat has posted me photos of the boat from the beginning to the finished product and he was excellent to deal with and i could not have wished for better service .
It is a Seajay 5.6 Predaking Extreme Plate Boat and if it rides as good as it looks then i will be very happy.
Troy

Hey Troy,
Nice Boat - well done & good choice - they are well made. What kind of trailer is it on - single or tandem axle?

Mark

Apollo
08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Troy

Agree with you - excellent choice of boat. You are going to love that boat.

Mr__Bean
08-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Spare wheel for the trailer?

Darren

Argle
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Good set of tie downs, enjoy the drive and congrats on the new boat.

Don1970
08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Troy - went to the Seajay at Bundaberg to have a look and a yarn to Troy (virtually set on ordering a 5.1m striker) - had a look at (what I think would be) your boat. Congratulations on the purchase, it looks like an awesome rig - very well built. You'll be stoked when you get there to pick it up.

Tinlegs
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Troy, good to see you're going to collect it yourself. I did the same thing a couple of years ago in the other direction (Brisbane - Mackay) when I bought my platey, and it was a great trip. Got lots of compliments on the boat at servos as well ;)

There's been good advice given here, but the best is not to rush. I had a deadline and hit a roo driving at dusk, when it would have been sensible to be off the road. 3 panels damaged on my Cruiser - $$$. Fortunately it was before I'd picked up the boat - I'd never towed anything that big before and I'm glad I didn't have to learn how to do emergency braking with my new pride and joy on the back.

Good luck and enjoy the new toy.

Mark

Gon Fishun
08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Get the balance of the boat right on the trailer with weight on the tow ball so she will track well for you.
Oh, and post pics.;D

troy
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Troy - went to the Seajay at Bundaberg to have a look and a yarn to Troy (virtually set on ordering a 5.1m striker) - had a look at (what I think would be) your boat. Congratulations on the purchase, it looks like an awesome rig - very well built. You'll be stoked when you get there to pick it up.
Mate if you wish send me a pm with your e mail address and i will send you pics to put up as i do not how.
Not for me but this builder needs a lot of credit and i think if his work was put up here members would see why.
Once they see the photos if people do not like the boat then do not rubbish the builder rubbish me as i asked him to build me a boat and and all i can say without bullshxt what i asked for i got and no hassles.
The price never altered just a pleasure to deal with.
Troy
Troy

Giffo65
08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Troy
I live in Bundy, and have only heard good things about Seajay,enjoy your new boat and road trip.If you need a hand with anything whilst in town give me a call,number sent to you.

Don1970
08-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Mate if you wish send me a pm with your e mail address and i will send you pics to put up as i do not how.
Not for me but this builder needs a lot of credit and i think if his work was put up here members would see why.
Once they see the photos if people do not like the boat then do not rubbish the builder rubbish me as i asked him to build me a boat and and all i can say without bullshxt what i asked for i got and no hassles.
The price never altered just a pleasure to deal with.
Troy
Troy

Troy - only new here myself so not sure how to post pics yet either. Have to agree about seajay thus far - Troy Glass has responded to all my emails promptly, and was happy to give some time to give me a look around, and answer my questions. Build quality (not that I'm an expert by any stretch) looks very good, and by the look of your 5.6 preda king, the finished product is excellent.

John

upstart
08-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Great offer there from Giffo!
Hey Troy, looks like me Fraser trip has fallen through so I'll probably be going to the hut for the last week of June. What colour Seajay should I be looking out for?

Chas & Clarry
08-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Troy - only new here myself so not sure how to post pics yet either. Have to agree about seajay thus far - Troy Glass has responded to all my emails promptly, and was happy to give some time to give me a look around, and answer my questions. Build quality (not that I'm an expert by any stretch) looks very good, and by the look of your 5.6 preda king, the finished product is excellent.

John

Troy this is killing me... We need to see photos...I'll PM you so you can send me picks and I'll put them up for you...I really like that you want to give credit where it is due to the builder too!

Tim

troy
09-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Great offer there from Giffo!
Hey Troy, looks like me Fraser trip has fallen through so I'll probably be going to the hut for the last week of June. What colour Seajay should I be looking out for?
Upstart pics will be up today.
Do not think i will be back until the end of June other wise you are more then welcome to drop in for a coldie.
Troy

Chas & Clarry
09-06-2012, 01:36 PM
WOW...Troy sent the pictures through...fantastic looking rig!!!

Troy, you are going to have some good times ahead, and no shortage of volunteer deckies I recon ;D

Mate, if you don"t start up a new thread specifically about the boat, maybe you should edit the title of this thread to say it has pictures included now. Your call of course.

Great boat
Tim

Apollo
09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Very nice Troy. No wonder you are happy.

Prowl n Wolf
09-06-2012, 06:46 PM
awesome boat troy! when i went to the tinnie and tackle show this year i looked at the seajay stand and they had a 7.5mtr boat and remember commenting to the wife that it was a great build and i reckon it would be hard to beat as the best platey there. (amm and origin were also impressive.) enjoy your pride and joy. regards, tony.

copie
09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi Troy nice looking rig there. Recently I purchased a new to me boat 630LE signiture I live in brisbane and the boat was in sydney. I drove down with my wife inspected the boat water tested it and then towed it home was a great trip. As mentioned before take an esky with some drinks and eats that you enjoy. Stop for fuel when you need a break and a smoke and maybe have a coffee and stretch the legs. Accommodation have you thought of van parks they are scatered up and down the highway have heaps of room and most have cabins for overnight stays, economical and comfortable and smoke till your lungs are content.
Whatever way enjoy the trip do it steady and ejoy the new toy.

Mark

troy
10-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi Troy nice looking rig there. Recently I purchased a new to me boat 630LE signiture I live in brisbane and the boat was in sydney. I drove down with my wife inspected the boat water tested it and then towed it home was a great trip. As mentioned before take an esky with some drinks and eats that you enjoy. Stop for fuel when you need a break and a smoke and maybe have a coffee and stretch the legs. Accommodation have you thought of van parks they are scatered up and down the highway have heaps of room and most have cabins for overnight stays, economical and comfortable and smoke till your lungs are content.
Whatever way enjoy the trip do it steady and ejoy the new toy.

Mark
Mark, had a look at one van park in Rocky and cabins were $300 a night and i got a surprise as i thought they were a cheap option but not at that price.
Also if any one wonders why i have not change the title of this thread to include pictures i just do not how as my computer skills are basic.
Troy

WalrusLike
10-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Lovely looking bit of gear. Your face is going to hurt from the wide smile all the way down the highway.

If looking for accommodation do a google search on RACQ and follow the links. They are great for trip planning.

Chas & Clarry
10-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Mark, had a look at one van park in Rocky and cabins were $300 a night and i got a surprise as i thought they were a cheap option but not at that price.
Also if any one wonders why i have not change the title of this thread to include pictures i just do not how as my computer skills are basic.
Troy

$300 is insane! Some van parks have gone pretty upmarket with their cabins, making them little motel apartments. We stayed at some recently in Grafton that were seriously 4 star standard in motel terms but even they were only about $150 from memory.

Sorry, I don't know how to edit a thread title...

team_mongo
10-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Troy,

Tow it.
Take your time and you'll be fine.
I have towed from Brisbane to Cairns several times and its mostly a pretty easy tow.

Have a check list.
Check the boat and trailer over before accepting it.
Check the balance of the rig before you leave bundy, last thing you want it not enough weight on the tow ball.
Looks like it bearing buddies, check they have enough grease before you leave.
Have a grease gun.
Drive a little way and stop to check the bearings.
Get yourself a laser thermometer, about $15 on fleabay. That way hopefully you'll know which bearing is running hot before it goes.
Check the tire pressures, carry an air compressor and an air pressure guage.
Make sure you can undo the bolts on the wheels of the trailer. They may not be the same as your truck.
Make sure your jack will work with your trailer, otherwise it will be a pain if you get a flat.
Carry a spare set of bearings.
Get a couple of wheel chocks, and maybe a lump of wood.

TM

Dan5
10-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Nice looking rig Troy.....be good to see some figures from her.

Dan

WalrusLike
10-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Where should Troy (and me...) go to get bearings? I would like to have the spare wheel already mounted on a hub with bearings fitted.... But I don't know where to go or how to start that setup?

I did read that a failure on the road is easier if you already have a complete setup ready to go. But I don't know how hard that would be to actually do on the roadside. Just a few bolts?

Troy don't assume that new means bearings can't fail.... Mine failed after two outings and I was told they were wrong from initial fitting. It wasn't neglect or lack of lube... They were badly installed.

Don't want to worry you... Maybe just ask the dealer to jack up and spin and check them before you head off?

troy
10-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Where should Troy (and me...) go to get bearings? I would like to have the spare wheel already mounted on a hub with bearings fitted.... But I don't know where to go or how to start that setup?

I did read that a failure on the road is easier if you already have a complete setup ready to go. But I don't know how hard that would be to actually do on the roadside. Just a few bolts?

Troy don't assume that new means bearings can't fail.... Mine failed after two outings and I was told they were wrong from initial fitting. It wasn't neglect or lack of lube... They were badly installed.

Don't want to worry you... Maybe just ask the dealer to jack up and spin and check them before you head off?
Mate heard stories about that happening and i asked the builder to check the trailer for me and he said to take a look at it after a few hours as this can be when things could move when first used.
Troy

troy
11-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Lots of worthless excuses, nothing more rewarding than than bringing your own boat home, it's called experience, go for it, you won't regret it.
Mister, have a look at my other thread and tell me i was making excuses.
Not having a go at you but my concerns were warranted and if you read it you will see why.
Now i am back to where i started this thread and i was just asking what i should do and whether i should go and pick it up or freight it.
The way i see it now is i would have outlay more money to pick it up then to have frieghted.
And i am aware and agree that i should check the boat out before i hand over the money but the expence of some sort of stone gaurds on top of fuel and accommodation is looking like freight is my only option.
Please do not take offence just have a read of the comments.
Troy

Chas & Clarry
11-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Now i am back to where i started this thread and i was just asking what i should do and whether i should go and pick it up or freight it.
The way i see it now is i would have outlay more money to pick it up then to have frieghted.
And i am aware and agree that i should check the boat out before i hand over the money but the expence of some sort of stone gaurds on top of fuel and accommodation is looking like freight is my only option.
Troy

Hey Troy

Like most things it is really important to just take other people's opinions as "grist for the mill", and I am sure that is how the comments are intended...(I hope!!) don't let anyone dump on you for making your own mind up about what feels right for you.

Here is a bit more "grist" for you :)

Do you think that the benefit of getting a stone guard fitted (as per the other thread) might still be worthwhile?

It will add to the cost of the road trip BUT it will be a piece of protection that you will have for any trips that you do in your boat for the life of the trailer, not just for the original road trip. Of course you mightn't be planning road trips in future in which case may not be worth it. I know that my boat gets sprayed with cr@p on some pretty short trips though so maybe yours will too and it'd be money well spent.

Tim

troy
11-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey Troy

Like most things it is really important to just take other people's opinions as "grist for the mill", and I am sure that is how the comments are intended...(I hope!!) don't let anyone dump on you for making your own mind up about what feels right for you.

Here is a bit more "grist" for you :)

Do you think that the benefit of getting a stone guard fitted (as per the other thread) might still be worthwhile?

It will add to the cost of the road trip BUT it will be a piece of protection that you will have for any trips that you do in your boat for the life of the trailer, not just for the original road trip. Of course you mightn't be planning road trips in future in which case may not be worth it. I know that my boat gets sprayed with cr@p on some pretty short trips though so maybe yours will too and it'd be money well spent.

Tim
Understand Tim but the freight option will be a lot cheaper and then i could afford these extra expences that i had not planned for.
Bit hard for me to explain but if you did the sums maybe you can see what i am about like eg stone gaurds -$550.00.
Troy

Jarrah Jack
11-06-2012, 08:08 PM
You're right Troy, putting the stone guards on for the one trip is a waste of a lot of money. I wouldn't do it either. May be worth talking to the builder and see what he thinks.

If it was me I would just go and pick the boat up and take a risk on the chips. Its a boat to be used not a museum piece. But you're not me and I can understand you going the transport option.

BTW, good looking boat you've got there so all the homework has paid off. Well done.

WalrusLike
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah mate .... It's none of my business but I wholeheartedly support you doing it whatever way you see fit.

I think folks are just egging you on a tad to encourage you to do what they think will be rewarding for you. I am certain they have your best interests at heart and are not criticizing you.. Just trying to encourage you. Either way you do it, you shortly will have a sweet new love in your life! :)

( I pat mine every time I go past her... It's true love)

I hope the joy of your new boat makes life a bit sweeter for you.

timeout
11-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Great looking boat Troy :thumbsup:
I've got a 900 km round trip to pick my new to me boat tomorrow.Do what ever you're comfortable with, I would rather tow mine instead of trusting some hairy arsed trucker ;D