PDA

View Full Version : Honda BF90D stiff steering

theangryangler
06-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi all a mate has a 08 honda bf90d and was telling me that his steering is getting quite hard to turn when underway. As he is an old fella and has no capability or interest in using the net i told him i would ask here if anyone has an idea why this would be?
He said its only under way at idle turns easy. engine only has 70 Hours use and fully serviced.
thanks in advance
The Angry Angler

cormorant
06-06-2012, 03:36 PM
One way or both direstions?

There is a trim tab ( just to the rear of the prop) on most motors that balances the motor and prop torque so the motor is balanced when running on the water . When servicing the motor ( new impeller) the dealer may not have put it back in the same position causing heavy steering at speed especially in one direction.

Under load the steering bushes could be seizing.

Be odd on such a new motor

theangryangler
06-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi corm He told me that it was both directions and also a bit more freeplay in the wheel then usual as well
if that means anything
thanks for the reply eh

cormorant
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Out of the water with the motor trimmed down move the motor back and forward

Do the same with someone putting a lot of weight pushing forward against bottom of the leg of the motor. if it becomes stiff then it is the steering pivot area that need looking at. Bushes or greasing .

Hydraulic or cable steering?

You may need to remove the steering link at the motor to prove if it is a steering or motor issue or even a set up issue where the motor is physically jamming on the hull under load or something close to the cowl under load. .

theangryangler
06-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I will try that next time i am at his joint
it is hydraulic steering.
thanks for the help ill post up the results of the tests :)

cormorant
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Kinking hydraulic line when under way?
If it is a bullhorn hydraulic cylinder they "float"and need to be free to move up and down a bit and same for the single side ones as on a angle under accelation for instance they coul stiffen up a bit but that is a wild guess.

Turn the steering wheel to lock on one side and keep turning a little bit more . It will have a overpressure relief valve internally and will keep turning slowly. Same in other direction. Sometimes the overpressure valves in the helm stick, get deposit in them and it stiffens up the steering. Why it would be different under load has me stuffed - maybe he is hanging on too tight!!

theangryangler
06-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Just spoke with him on the phone and he said it is hard to turn wether trimmed up or down
under way. its harder then usual in idle but easier then when under way, if ya get what i mean
I told him he hangin on to tight and he said its his grandpa grip from arthritus!!! silly old bugger :)
thanks again

cormorant
06-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Has he done the 70 hrs and has the steering changed over that time or after a service ?

Or is the boat new to him?

There is more weight on steering when a boat is moving but with hydraulic you barely feel anything.

He isn't a safe cracker or concert pianist by any chance with very sensitive fingers?

Oh well buggered if I know I'm out of ideas. Let us know what it is.

theangryangler
06-06-2012, 10:02 PM
yeah mate my old yamaha had hyd steering and was a breeze to steer anytime.
And its not easy tryin to understand what he is on about but best i can come
up with was his comparrison to steering a old non power steering falcon at low speed
which this new a engine should not have any thing like this.
I am actually considering buying the rig from him but now am not sure as the steering might be buggered?
its still under warranty from handa qould they cover something like this???
thanks again and sorry for bein a PITA

cormorant
07-06-2012, 12:12 AM
If it is steering - no not covered under warranty Very very very worst case would be $1000 for a complete new system which would be very very unlikely.

Honda steering pivot - would seriously doubt you could wear one / stuff one in 70 hours and if still under warranty from Honda I am sure if it has been serviced by them and installed by a honda dealer they would look at it.

I am thinking it will be something simple either way but even simple things cost time to find and fix. Until you get your eyes on it and have a play you just won't know. PITA if it is only happening on the water and you can't recreate it on land.

Keep thinking as it will be something obvious and stupid - like the trailer still attached.

theangryangler
07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Tirns out its not hydraulic steering which would explain why it is so hard to steer!!
he told me it was.
Any way i have bought it and will upgrade to hydraulic steering asap
thanks for all the help corm!!

cormorant
07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Cables are cheap and quick to install and on that size motor nt much hassle if looked after. Newer teflon ones last well. You'll probably free up the existing cable and get years out of it as it will just have gluggy grease at the tilt tube nut.

Fed
07-06-2012, 02:25 PM
The only reason hydraulic feels lighter is the ratio of turns lock to lock , usually about 4:1 instead of 3:1 or less for cable.

It's not as if hydraulic means power steering and in fact if the ratios were the same cable steering would probably offer less resistance.

Put a larger diameter steering wheel on it.

theangryangler
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Its a center console so does the run of the steering cable have more resistance??
1500 for hyd steering!!

cormorant
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
The more tight corners and the worse the installer has done them all add up to a shorter life for steering cables. Some center consoles are notorious for them as there is no conduit for the cable to run in and it has 4 tight turns all under a deck with added humidity or lying in the bilge. Depends if it goes under the floor or undr the side decks as well.etc. If they install with cheapo cable then they don't last as well. Just install a new one if teh old one is not recoverable and if possible route it better.

Basic story is have as large as radius as possible and as few a corners as possible. I guarantee it will still be glugged up from no use and old grease at the motor end. Happens all the time .

I quite like stiffer steering ( not via the cable) as that way when the hand is not on teh wheel it holds course at low speeds.

hydraulic shouldn't be that expensive. Boat show specials and discounts or import it. See how many years you can get out of a wel maintained cable before you spend$ and check it is a boat you want to keep if you have to spend that sort of coin

Noelm
07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
you should be able to get a complete hydraulic setup for well under a grand, if you have the side space in the motor well for a side mount, it will be under $800

theangryangler
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Got quoted 900 for kit plus round 500 for install can i just do it myself? or is it pressurised?
it is a podded boat so heaps of room round the motor

cormorant
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Not pressurised

Simply bolt in helm
Bolt on cylinder at rear.
Run tubing , attach it
fill with oil
bleed it
enjoy
it is all pretty straightforward but like eveything when you are upside down with your hands up a console it can be a pain. Yes you will need some basic tools and if the hole in the console isn't the right size it may need a small cut out.

Pod may explain extra gluggy grease at motor end as well a sit is more exsposed. Until you get it , check it and use it keep ya hand in ya pocket.

Seriously what is wrong with boat workshops. They want to charge you retail for the goods and then premium for unskilled labour.

theangryangler
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah i wont buy anything till i take it for a few runs to see if it is that bad
or if the old fella is just weak as piss!!
thanks for all the help eh
Ill post when i pick it up cant wait!!!
well i can but its killin me!! :)