PDA

View Full Version : Plastic vid

Jerk n Wined
05-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Hey, here is one more vid of some snapper caught off straddie latley. Go the plastics :P
I have just about turned all my bait fishing mates to spastic plastics. Fish head has been loving a different mate brought into the shop each time- fully converted.
Plastics made me enjoy bottom bashing offshore again as bait was really starting to get boring (off moreton and straddie that is). Who would have though snapper would be a good sporting fish. I must admit we have been returning alot of fish caught in the shallower water as its more of a sport now and not the rape and pillage the sea. Its great just to go out and see what giant fish you can catch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToyIm_WAY2w&list=UUCshJc1VIjPFTCLOdlzx7Yw&index=2&feature=plcp

captain rednut
05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
great session boys and aren't those fish eye camera lenses the go.
cheers Jim

TimD
05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Good fish and good background music :thumbsup:

Can you give us a rundown on the gear you's are using ???

cheers tim :)

Jerk n Wined
06-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Dunc in the qld shirt Gary howard 7" 15-25lb Daiwa certate3500hd
RJ with the hat:- shimano terez rod 15-30lb daiwa reel
me: daiwa steez hot dog 12-20lb daiwa certate 3500hd, + custom 'mark alderson' samurai 8-12kg blank, K series guides rod with saltiga 4000H
Isac used bait with a shit rod... he did no good :)))

TimD
06-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the rundown on the gear you blokes use :thumbsup:

Your custom mark alderson/saltiga combo sounds similar to my plastic combo. I've got a 8-15kg Egrell bear essentials rod with a 4500 Salitga s extreme running pe3 (50lb) daiwa saltiga braid. I usually have a 40lb flurocarbon leader on but i think ill put a 20lb flurocarbon leader on when im chasing Snaps this winter. I usually use jigheads from 1oz-4oz too but i think i need to start using slightly lighter jigheads.

Just out of curiosity what depths do you mostly chase Snaps and what jighead weights do you mostly use.

cheers tim :)

Jerk n Wined
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Your combo sounds slightly heaver out fit than mine. It dosnt take much for the combo to feel totally different by just changing a few lb on the rod blank or even choosing a specific reel size or brand. I use excatly the same line on the saltiga 4000H, i also use it for jigging for kings and fishing for reefies up north. I cant go past the daiwa steez hot dog- that is my favourite rod with out a question for snapper offshore. The fast tapper and thin/lightness still with sh!t loads of go go. Check it out. i have had the but of the rod extended approx 80mm so it sits under the arm alot better to fight fish. This made a nice difference to the rod.
I also only use 40 fluro for leader and 35lb main line PE#2, due to the fact we are fishing in 60-90m of water it pays dividends to have a slightly stronger leader with big kingies/ tuna/ AJ and stonker snapper ready to bust you up.
1-1.5oz is all we use and 2-4oz for 110m plus
Depends on what depth you fish, I think 20lb would be crazy if your over 50m water depth. You have to take into account the amount of line drag tension (distance of line out) and also jig head size and fish species. I feel 40lb is a suitable size all round for the depth/jig head and species targeted. Change back to normal 40lb mono if you feel you need more flexibilty on the lure action etc..
Cheers Chris

fisho8
07-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Awsome vid mate and some great fish there well done. The conditions looked second to none to.

snapperbug
08-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Nice fish.

I've only really successfully chased snapper on plastics in pretty shallow water (down to about 20m). In the deep stuff do you drift and cast ahead of the boat or just let the lure sink from the side of the boat? I am basically just after a bit of insight into how you guys fish the deeper stuff.

Thanks
Pete