PDA

View Full Version : North to Alaska...

Cheech
05-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Just back from the states. First leg was Alaska for a fishing charter and Fjords cruise. Once you leave Anchorage, everywhere you look is spectacular. I was there before it got too hot so there was a lot of snow still about.

Main catch for summer is Halibut. They are a big flat fish. Being the start of the season the big ones were not there yet. Apparently most trips in peak you will land at lease a couple of 100lb plus fish.

Pics in order;

This is the view leaving the harbour at Seward.

Underside is how they usually take the photo's. A lot of the fishing we did was near the entrance to Price William Sound. But these 2 were in close. Only a few hundred metres from shore and in 60-70 metres of water.

Next shot is of the ugliest skipper I have ever fished with.

This is the catch. Apparently we did better than most on the day. We bagged out and released about 15 others. The red ones I think they called them just Red Fish.

The view I had from Seward Breeze Inn bar.

What a great idea. All these child pdf's are just left there to use and return. I don't think they would last long anywhere else, but Alaska is different.

I threw in a couple of pics of the train trip from Anchorage to Seward, and of the glacier cruise.

If you get the chance, great trip. I hope to get up there again.

80846808498085380850808528084780851808458084480843 8084180842

Goodoo haven
05-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Nice looking place there by the looks of it. You's got yourselves a nice catch of fish there too. Well done. What are they like to eat?

Doug.

Tangles
05-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Spectacular place Cheech and great photos, those Halibut are meant to be very tasty as well

Cheers
Mike

Cheech
06-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Unfortunately I did not get to taste any of our catch as I was travelling. After Alaska I went over to Charlotte North Carolina for the CocaCola 600 Nascar race. But I did have some when there, and they were not bad. I think we get spoilt though with all the reef fish in Qld. I also had King Crab when in Seward. Not bad. My meal and a couple of beers cost me $80.00 after tips.

Now planning the next trip. Possibly Florida so I can do a charter and also the Daytona 500. By the way, hired a car for a week. That was an experience getting use to the wrong side of the road.

theoldlegend
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
You idiot!! Why didn't you take more pics of the skipper?

TOL

Jerk n Wined
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
ha ha ha she is hard as nails... NO JUMPER???
Awesome pics, just looking at it makes me shiver. Thats a wicked trip you got there....

Floating Rib
06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Have to agree Cheech its a spectacular place, nice pics and good read, had my charter for halibut cancelled due to bad weather when i was there but talking to a guy cleaning 160lb halibut(one caught 400lb whilst i was there, still not the biggest) he gave me the cheek which was about 1kg at least, it was bloody lovely, did manage to fish a fews streams there and caught dolly varden and grayling, pristine but looking over the shoulder for bears was a bit different.