PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Protection - New Yamaha 60hp

Splash
04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Yami 60 HP - brand new.

What is the best protection for this outboard whilst commuting to/from ramp?

Should I buy genuine covers from Yamaha?

Cowling cover or full motor cover or both (cowling cover whilst on water)?

Should I consider a custom made job?

Splash

bugsytwoshoes
04-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi Splash, I've got a Yammy 60hp 4st. tiller steer. I bought a full cover from Whitworths on the Gold Coast for about $100 ( rough guess) and it fits the motor like a glove, I'm very happy with it. I also bought a rubber wedge that fits on the hydrolic ram that is called My-Wedge (spelling) it saves the transom from the motor movement.I bought the wedge online from a place in Darwin. Both of these items are available through Yamaha but you would be paying a lot more. With the full cover I think there were two sizes that fitted the 60hp and I'm sure I chose the larger size, colour was light blue.

Splash
04-06-2012, 06:39 PM
thanks for response Bugsy!

is this your cover:
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=54966&search123=yamaha+outboard+cove&intAbsolutePage=3

Can you put pics onlne?

What is this material made from?

Dealer is quoting $330 for full motor cover and $290 for cowling cover....

How does the cover fit on the motor (zip, button, etc..)?

What size boat did you put your yami on?

Tips/traps for using this great motor?

SPlash

Splash
04-06-2012, 07:08 PM
http://www.outboardcovers.com.au/polysoft.htm

anyone used this mob??? anygood?

splash

LittleSkipper
04-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Splash! Check out www.outboardcovers.com.au they are tailer made to fit your outboard and you choose the design,colours etc. I bought one for my Mercury 75hp sometime ago now. (See Pic)

Splash
04-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks LittleSKipper.

I just found them as well. :-)

Tell me about them....

I am a bit suprised that they only provide 2 year warranty on UV resistance...

How does their 'Polysoft' material rate with ripstop material?

How thick is the material?

SPlash

LittleSkipper
04-06-2012, 07:27 PM
My cover has been on the outboard for almost the 2 years now...that will be in July this year. The photo's were taken only just earlier in the year so if the appearance of my splash cover in the pic is anything to go by I think as long as you look after the cover it will look after you.

Read there FAQ's if you have not already done so. I think OCA know what their talking about when it comes to outboard marine covers. You can motor along with these covers on as they are breathable, have a soft inner lining to prevent scratching of your cowling. I don't know what else to say except their FAQ's pretty much sums up the explanation of the covers.

WalrusLike
04-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Here's another:
http://www.coverworld.com.au/acatalog/boat-engine-covers.html

They supplied my boat cover with prompt supply and good quality.... It looks pretty identical to the Skippers photo above. Interestingly a custom boat cover quote was $2880 but this was about $350 and seems a good fit.

But I am not recommending... Just reporting... Who knows how it will weather and wear? (but seems very high quality to me)

Splash
04-06-2012, 07:50 PM
thanks boys!

thylacene
04-06-2012, 07:54 PM
another vote for OCA, great product, great service

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FWMM4GHEPHI/Tdo_LeFsFTI/AAAAAAAAAb8/rhwyKG7FBeg/s144/DSC_0238-1.jpg

very happy customer

Argle
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
x3 for OCA Im on my second set now, had the first set on the outboard for ten years then sold the boat with them. First thing I did when i got the new boat was to order a new set of OCA covers, cant fault them

Cheers

Splash
05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
One has to ask why not just go OEM (Yami in this case).

Their price is the same as OCA.

THoughts?

Splash

LittleSkipper
05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
The choice is purely your own Splash?....you decide?

bugsytwoshoes
05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Splash-- I don't know how to put pics up. I have the 60hp on a Brooker 5m safari and am very happy with it have not had any problems at all and great economy. The cover fits over the o/b and is secured by a large plastic zipper along the inside of the leg. It looks like the one you have posted from Whitworths. I have had covers from OCA on other boats and they were better fit and quality than Whitworths but for a fraction of the cost and a good fit I am happy with the Whitworths cover.

Splash
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
thanks bugsy.

does your cover have the chance to rub pain off from the motor?

splash

LittleSkipper
05-06-2012, 11:43 PM
So whats your decision Splash? CHEAP & NASTY? or PRICELESS & QUALITY?

Splash
06-06-2012, 05:50 AM
lol.

i like the inner felt of the oca brand - so 'll go with thm.

splash

Dan5
06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
lol.

i like the inner felt of the oca brand - so 'll go with thm.

splash

I'm on my 3rd OCA Splash........they are top quality.........I had a PVC one made years ago,with our humidity up here it soon sweated and made the cowling paint job go shitty,,,,,bubbles etc.

Oca make the Yamaha genuine covers so which ever one you choose will be OCA anyway.........My new 140 has splash and full engine cover........I bought them before the outboard arrived.

Dan

JB
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I have the OCA Honda cover... fantastic.. very happy with it.

Mudlicker
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
on my 3 rd OCA cover as well , awsome product , last really well even with dirt rad travel , fir is awesome and easy to clean , I reckon they have helped with y last two trade in deals on outboards a s well .

Jarrah Jack
06-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I've got a genuine one on the yammi which must be an oca. Its already saved the cowl from a nasty scratch so its paid for itself. Top quality.

WalrusLike
06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Um.... I understand why you would use a full cover to protect the motor from the sun for the bulk of the time it's not in the water, but why leave a splash cover on when in use?

Isn't it a recipe for salt crystals to form inside the cover and scratch it? I must be wrong about that because you guys are getting good results but it seems paradoxical to me. Also isn't there a risk of breathing troubles for the motor?

Does it muffle sound maybe? Forgive my ignorance please.. It is puzzling to me.

LittleSkipper
06-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Um.... I understand why you would use a full cover to protect the motor from the sun for the bulk of the time it's not in the water, but why leave a splash cover on when in use?

Isn't it a recipe for salt crystals to form inside the cover and scratch it? I must be wrong about that because you guys are getting good results but it seems paradoxical to me. Also isn't there a risk of breathing troubles for the motor?

Does it muffle sound maybe? Forgive my ignorance please.. It is puzzling to me.

WalrusLike!

The OCA covers are designed and made to breath, they have mesh venting to suit depending on the type of cowling it is going to cover. The covers have a strong,thick elastic cord around the base that fits firmly between the cowling and the base of the motor.

I've had mine on & off in the nearly 2 years I've had it and never had any issues with salt of any kind forming and or causing problems, let alone scratching of any kind. Even if you did? a little maintenance in luke warm fresh water would remedy that.

WalrusLike
09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks Skipper. Ok I see it doesn't do any harm.... And it would save the motor from the odd scratch from a badly handled boat hook etc.

Does it muffle the sound at all?

So far I can't see it justifying its cost above a generic full cover for storage. I would like one if I though it would save the motor a bit from spray ingestion in rough conditions. Or muffled the sound a bit. But otherwise when in use it's out and proud for me.... :)

LittleSkipper
09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks Skipper. Ok I see it doesn't do any harm.... And it would save the motor from the odd scratch from a badly handled boat hook etc.

Does it muffle the sound at all?

So far I can't see it justifying its cost above a generic full cover for storage. I would like one if I though it would save the motor a bit from spray ingestion in rough conditions. Or muffled the sound a bit. But otherwise when in use it's out and proud for me.... :)

Anything that covers an internal combustion engine will have some kind of muffling/silence effect but not to the point of "Get Smarts Cone Of Silence" and the exhaust is prop-through I can still quite frankly!...hear the torque of my 2 stroke outboard.

The cover will give some if not a reasonable amount of protection from spray ingestion than if you had no cover at all?

WalrusLike
09-06-2012, 08:36 PM
The cover will give some if not a reasonable amount of protection from spray ingestion than if you had no cover at all?

ah... If it does that and you throw in scratch protection then it's now got me interested. Especially given my propensity to screw up occasionally and splash it when I suddenly slow because of another mistake or panicked rethink.