PDA

View Full Version : Sick of paying for every beach I drive on.

pcrossy
03-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Gday all,
just wondering what other fishers and campers feel about paying the QLD government or DERM (or whatever they call themselves these days) a vehicle permit fee for every beach you drive on.

I have a problem with paying a fee to drive north from Noosa to Inskip Point then another fee to drive on Fraser Island. Then I have to get another permit to go to Moreton Island the next week for a couple of days then I pay another fee to go for a trip to Stradbroke Island and dont forget Briby Island. Is it just me or does anyone else get the s$%#ts with paying the one Government a dozen bloody fees to drive around national parks that all belong to the one Government (the people of QLD/Australia).

Why is it we cant just pay one fee (for a Month or Year I dont care) to travel on any National park or Beach in Queensland or Australia for that matter.

nigelr
03-06-2012, 07:41 PM
The only good thing about it pcrossy is that people still can drive on these beaches even though they have to pay.
The alternative may well be a vehicle lock out.
Pretty sure there are annual National Park fees; I pay $25 a year for my local park and a multi-park NPWS sticker is available for $75.
This is in NSW so I'm not sure whether it is relevent in Qld.

Carry
03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
The longer these deadshit greenies are around the worse it will get. Feel sorry for our future generations, the fees are rediculous and are only going to get worse. The cost of Vehicle registration alone is enough for working families. You should have the right to drive on the beach for free. I don't find camping fees a problem, but vehicle permits are another story.

finga
03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I have to pay to drive on near any road to get anywhere in Brisbane so what's the difference?
How many tolls do I pay and what is the dollar value to what I've paid to drive from Warwick to the Logan Motorway to get to the Airport. That's the route I should be following if I followed the signs
I see a 'toll' on beach roads as a means to keep most people off the beaches.

QuinTin
04-06-2012, 09:23 AM
yes i think we should only have to pay for one yearly permit that covers all beaches in our state not one for every beach thats just another way to sux more money out of us but thats life whats new :)

fat-buoy
04-06-2012, 10:15 AM
When they were looking to bring the beach permit in to drive on the beach up to Double Island Point I put the same argument across to the federal and state member explaining that one permit called a beach permit which allows the holder to drive on beaches would be accepted by the 4x4 community... as you can see the idea didn't get too far :(

I think that it is the most logical solution.. the problem is the in fighting between various departments who want their share of the pie so to speak... some areas will be advantaged financially and other areas disadvantaged and the whole idea of having someone with half a brain to manage it escapes them...

Mrs Ronnie H
04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi
I like the idea of one permit and it covers you for all but can't honestly see it happening.

Think they should rethink the cost of weekly and monthly permits compared to a yearly one. Perhaps if you are camping as well then incorporate it in your camping fees at a discounted rate.

I would not grumble too much about it as at least at this stage we are still allowed to use the beach.

Ronnie

goat boy
04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
It's all about revenue raising and don't kid yourself for a second that it's anything else. When the vehicle permits were coming in for Teewah I remember asking what was the money going towards and how once it's in, it will be like every other toll and just keep rising with nothing to show. Now, as an example, what is there to show for the Teewah permits? From memory, the 1st and 2nd cuttings got closed and the third one got bitumen right onto the sand (which was really only slightly handy for those towing substantial loads). No new rangers, no new bins, hell, not even some composting toilets (It seems you need to pay a fee to drive on the beach but it's fine for the masses to continue sh!tiing in the dunes for eternity). And that retarded eco-centre or whatever it was just sat there like an eyesore (is it even open yet?).
Unfortunately, they'll never be taken away and the best you could hope for is a multi-pass or similar. Or just go there in the non-peak times without a pass and take your chances.

Still_Dreamin
04-06-2012, 03:51 PM
at least we can still drive on the beach and i have never found it particularly hard or expensive to obtain permits..

finga
04-06-2012, 05:31 PM
What are permits worth out of curiosity??

Still_Dreamin
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Straddie is $35 per year

pcrossy
04-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks everyone for for your replies. Interesting nigelr says that NSW has an anual fee to enter multiple parks for $75. Is that correct or did I read that wrong. I dont think Straddie falls under the DERM arm (local council maybe). I suppose my bitch is that I hate having to pay a different fee to drive my vehicle on each different beach although the permit fee is paid to only one authority. Let me give you an example.

The following is the fees that apply to the different beachs that belong to the one Government department (DERM).

Moreton Island 1 Month or less $40.75
Bribie Island 1 Week or less $39
Cooloola Coast (North shore) 1 Week $25.90 or 1 Day (not booked on line) $15.50
Fraser Island 1 Month or less $40

You can buy an anual permit paying $204.20 for each place except Bribie. So if I want to go up the North shore say 10 times a year (live up the Sunshine Coast), I either buy an anual pass $204 or $12 to 15 per trip. I go to Fraser twice a year, either $80 or $204. If I were to go to Moreton and Bribie during the same year (I like fishing and camping by the way), its going to cost me rediculous amount.

goat boy, is on the money when he said that DERM has added lots of fees and we have seen nothing for our money. What a load of thieving useless bastards. I know old Can-Do is trying to get rid of dead wood. Maybe he could get rid of DERM. Anyone know who I can vent my spleen on in the government. I know I am probably wasting my time but you never know, if enough people bitched!!!!!

Rand over breath in breath out.

marty666
04-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Funny thing is the beaches are zoned as gazzetted roads so there should not be any legal grounds to force you to pay a fee on them and then turn around and inforce road rules and roadworthyness of vehicles, but you see the speed cameras and RBTs up there all the time it is this contradiction that stopped me from going up there and it only will go to inskip as of yet there is no beach permit required or go down to NSW because by the time you pay the rediculas variable costs to go to different beaches hear in qld one of anual fee for multi parks and your fuel costs will still be cheaper to cross the boarder.