PDA

View Full Version : EPIRB Registration

Noiseworks
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey everyone, quick question about epirb registration. If I bought an epirb in the morning, rang ansa and registered it, will they give me a registration number to verify that i am registered with them, if perchance i am intercepted by fisheries and asked to show that my epirb is registered? Just trying to clear it up. Thanks in advance

Cheers

peterbo3
03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Ring them & find out. I seem to recall registering mine online in 2008 but I have been wrong before. I was able to confirm my boat & contact info by phone a few weeks ago after getting the "two year" letter checking that my details were still current.

firecat150hp
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
If I remember correctly you get your EP Rego as you go.

I just did my re-register and the # was the same.
I upgraded details on line and it arrived 2 days later.(the new label)

truth stretcher
03-06-2012, 08:22 PM
If you register an epirb on line it allows you to print a document to show the fisheries guys should you be 'pulled up' before your sticker arrives.

Noiseworks
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Cheers for the input people. Truth stretcher hit it on the head for me, thanks

timeout
03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks you have reminded me that I have to change mine for the new boat.

Back In Black
04-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Easy to get caught out with the epirb. I got a letter saying I had to reregister mine, but it came with the details for my old boat. I went to cross check the numbers against my epirb in the new boat & found it hadn't been registered at all (my mistake), so if I activated mine, they would have no idea who or what they were looking for, & if the fella who bought my old boat, now in Sydney, activated his, I would be getting calls! Its a good reminder to be right on it, as delays could cost lives.
I rang ANSA & they rectified it for me on the spot & gave me a number to write down so I could carry it on the boat until my new sticker turned up. The dealer I traded my old boat with told me they would transfer the epirb into the new owners name, but that obviously did not happen.
Tony

dblaj1
04-06-2012, 01:17 PM
If you need to ring them rather than do it online, they email you something immediately to print and carry with you until the rego docs arrive in the snail mail.

cormorant
04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Shame amsa and the state registration authorities can't get together and merge a database every month for all boat registrations transferred and send a reminder to new and old boat owner about epirbs. Has to be a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run to do that rather than have a emergency response when details are wrong? Be nice if our epirb number was linked with our boat lic as well as we all probably keep it up to date.