PDA

View Full Version : how safe are boats on pontoons in canals

outta line
03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
heading up to the sunshine coast for 3 days over the long weekend. The holiday house we are staying in has a pontoon and was planing on leaving the boat in the water for the 3 days. Ive been camping with the boat and have never had a problem or worried about theft before.I will probably take all valuables out as i dont have a lock up cab.
I know theft is everywhere so is theft from boats on canals common.

Just wondering what precautions do others take while leaving there boats on pontoons to avoid theft?

do you chain and padlock boat to pontoon ?
remove sounders / gps ?
take everything out or only valuables ?

cheers mick

Chimo
03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Mick

IMHO it very much depends where the canal is and what the neighbourhood watch scene is like in the area. Locking the boat to something solid would be worthwhile and it will help you sleep better too.

In some places where there is a fair bit of passing traffic there is a lot of potential to have things be stolen. In some canals the residents are proactive and make it plain and obvious to visiting boats that they have been photographed and their rego numbers and the peoples picture are kept for latter reference if any need arises.

Dogs that are yarded close to the boat also work well as the sound of upset dogs and sensor lights are also effective.

In your case as your only there for a short time you will probably be OK, time will tell. Take your dog and bed it down close to the boat!

Have a good long week end and enjoy yourselves.

Cheers
Chimo

fly_1
03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Mate my boat lives on the canals at Mooloolaba and I have never had any dramas. Its not on the main canal, and both neighbours have dogs that bark at approaching boats/people etc. Most people who live on the canals all know which boats live where etc, and everyone keeps an eye out. In saying that, if possible lock the cabin, take sounders / plotters out and dont leave anything that you want to keep out in public view.
Enjoy your break..

Trent