PDA

View Full Version : Green Fish

gunna
03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Down on the mate's farm at the mo. Managed to pull a nice fish this arvo. Happy to get one as the shut down a bit as the weather gets colder.

wags on the water
03-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Nice fish Peter. I'd be happy to get one of them this year.

Thanks,
Wags

Goodoo haven
03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice Cod there mate. A mate and myself are going out to the local dam here to do some fishing on Tuesday weather permitting. Hopefully we can get ourselves a big one. The big ones come one the bite in the dam after we get a frost or 2. I think it is because the big females are preparing themselves for spawning. Doug.

BobbyJ123
04-06-2012, 04:18 AM
There were a few Inverell blokes used to say that the best time for the cod was when the wattle started to flower. That was for the big puddle south of Inverell.

gunna
04-06-2012, 08:52 AM
There were a few Inverell blokes used to say that the best time for the cod was when the wattle started to flower. That was for the big puddle south of Inverell.

Same thing said for the Hairtail in the Hawkesbury - and that is around August.

Goodoo haven
04-06-2012, 10:43 AM

In the last few years there has been a hell of a lot of big cod, (over a metre) caught and released in the colder months out of Copeton, and it goes right through til about November.

rabbi
08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi Guys,
You can still catch cod all year around the NW slopes n plains area but they fight like a hooked stick in winter and usually float belly up once hooked as they are too cold to swim around.
Usually they feed up before winter, go into a partial hibernation during winter and then start feeding again with the warmer months and thats why they have a closed season from August to December as its their spawning time.

With Copeton being so full I reckon they have plenty of room to hide at the moment.
We used to go out on a sunny winters day when I lived over there and we used to pull huge yellas, just for a bit of catch and release fun when you wouldnt put a foot near the water cause it was too cold.
Starting to get the shivers here now just thinking about those cold frosty mornings.:P
Just going to polish my jew lures.8-)
Cheers.

wamjam
10-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I slipped out to the dam(Copeton) one nice July morning,pushed the boat off the trailer and the rope slipped through my hand. I had a bit of a feel of the water and thought no way I'm going in there. Lucky it was a nice day and another fisho turned up pretty soon. He gave me a lift out to my boat.

I caught my first metery in July a fair few years back. Like any dam fishing there is a lot more fishing than catching.

Scott

Goodoo haven
10-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I caught my first metery in July a fair few years back. Like any dam fishing there is a lot more fishing than catching.

Scott

Yeah, Copeton had got a lot of big meterys in there.

Lucky you didnt have to go for a swim to retrieve your boat, brrrrrrrrr.

Doug.

rabbi
11-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I dont like to skite( well,yeah I do8-))
I got 6 over a metre there one day all on lures But I had shorts n a T-shirt on and was sweating not shivering.
cheers.

Goodoo haven
11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I got 6 over a metre there one day all on lures But I had shorts n a T-shirt on and was sweating not shivering.
cheers.

So! What are you saying? Or what's your point?

wamjam
13-06-2012, 05:50 AM
cheers.

That's a pretty good day out Steve. All the planets, moons and your tongue must have been lined up that day.... Jamie and I got a 105 and a 108 late one arvo, got chased home by a storm.

gunna
13-06-2012, 11:40 AM
In the area I fish I find most fish are between 1 and 2 kilo. Not huge - but I know there are much bigger in there. I use my bass gear - 8lb braid and 12lb leader. One of these days one of those big ones will teach me a hard lesson lol.

Goodoo haven
13-06-2012, 11:47 AM
G'day mate,
It doesn't matter what size the cod are that you catch... they are always a nice fish to catch regardless of size.

Doug.

rabbi
13-06-2012, 02:22 PM
So! What are you saying? Or what's your point?
It means I had a great day and I caught them in warmer weather as I dont go much on freezing my arse off;D
I think somewhere in the fine print there is also something that says you are not supposed to target cod during a closed season?

Cheers.

rabbi
13-06-2012, 02:33 PM
That's a pretty good day out Steve. All the planets, moons and your tongue must have been lined up that day.... Jamie and I got a 105 and a 108 late one arvo, got chased home by a storm.

Hey Scott, that wouldnt have been at Panther Rock would it?
I know it was one of Jamies fave haunts..
Yeah, just one of those days that shone. Got heaps of yellas too in the one spot along with the cod. Was a big granite rock just below the Hut.
Might head over there again when it warms up and the water level drops:)
Dont get me wrong, I like catching any size fish but I reckon its more of a rush with the big fish.
Cheers, steve.

Goodoo haven
13-06-2012, 02:40 PM
It means I had a great day and I caught them in warmer weather as I dont go much on freezing my arse off;D
I think somewhere in the fine print there is also something that says you are not supposed to target cod during a closed season?

Cheers.

Are you implying that I have been targeting cod in the closed season? You cant put a lure on your line and have it saying yellas only or no cod. What cod I/we have caught in the off season was caught chasing yellas.

rabbi
13-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Hehe, not implying anything Doug.
You mentioned on the previous page that you can catch cod right through to november.
C'mon, its no secret that a lot of fishos over there catch cod in a closed season. I know a few of them myself.
As long as you let them go,right?
cheers.

Goodoo haven
13-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, of course we do let them go if we do catch one in the off season. But I wouldn't keep one over 80cms even if its not in season. Its good to see them swim away, and it feels good too.

wamjam
18-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey Scott, that wouldnt have been at Panther Rock would it?
I know it was one of Jamies fave haunts..
Yeah, just one of those days that shone. Got heaps of yellas too in the one spot along with the cod. Was a big granite rock just below the Hut.
Might head over there again when it warms up and the water level drops:)
Dont get me wrong, I like catching any size fish but I reckon its more of a rush with the big fish.
Cheers, steve.

Not sure about Panther Rock, we got them not far from another rock at Copeton, the water has to be down a fare bit, I won't say its name for two reasons.

I've heard of some good cod being caught occidentally through the closed cod season, must be heart breaking to catch a speckly while targeting yella's.

Scott

rabbi
21-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Pick a rock, any rock!!;D
The dynamics might change a tad now they are changing the spillway at copeton.
One of my mates mates was showing me a pic of a huge cod they got over that way recently and it was an armfull for two blokes, maybe 80lb, released after a couple of pics.
I'll be back there again one day.
cheers.