PDA

View Full Version : Advice on First Boat - Caribbean Concorde

strobe1970
31-05-2012, 11:35 AM
G'day All,

I am looking at buying my first boat. I've come across a 2001 Caribbean Concorde with a 2001 115Hp Mercury Saltwater 2 stroke, that a mutual friend has for sale. It seems like a good first boat for fishing out and around Moruya but there are a few concerns that I'm looking for some advice on.

The good:
*Its reasonably new
*Engine has less than 60hours on it
*Hull and trailor seem to be in reasonably good condition (no significant corrosion on the trailor and the gel coat seems to be in good nic).
*Its seems to be fishing and family friendly

The not so good:
*Hasn't been started/run for 2 years - last service was some years ago.
*Has been under boat cover and tarp in a back yard under a tree down the south coast - water had become trapped in the cover so it took almost an hour to bucket the water out before we take the cover off -
*The interior and hull are a mess (will need a good clean - picture attached) and looks like mould/fungi growing in several places.

As the seller is busy he hasn't the time to clean, service etc so its a where is, as is sale.

I'm just wondering what state the engine will be or whether there are any significant or potential costs that I would be up for (other than a thorough service and clean). A picture attached of some minor corrosion around the engine block. Also could the fibreglass hull have any issues given its exposure to damp conditions over the past two years.

Regards,

Paul

lucee81
31-05-2012, 12:35 PM
There are many things that COULD be wrong with this boat and then there could be many things that are NOT wrong with this boat...
Being 11 years old i would be looking at transom and stringers for soft spots. Mould can be cleaned with a gernie and sunlight etc (many threads on how to manage mould on here) so i wouldn't get to hung up on that. If it has a oil reserviour i would empty and replace oil, repalce spark pulgs and gear box oil, all very easy to do yourself before trying to start the motor and new fuel as well.
If she kicks over and runs good half the battle is over, if not anything could be the problem and i would get a outboard mechanic to look at it.
The hydrofoil stabilizers are a easy replacement if they are even needed.
Either way a lot would come down to price for me as money would have to be spent to get her up and going i reckon, its how much that you are asking and without seeing the boat its any ones guees. But remember its a boat so there will always be ongoing costs even if its just to get it up to your standards.

Lucas

strobe1970
31-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback Lucas - much appreciated. Yes it does have a oil reserviour which is over half full.

At the moment the asking price is about $19K. Some additional pictures attached.

Paul

Jarrah Jack
31-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Very good boat the Concord and hold their value well. I'd be more worried about the transom if the cover hadn't been on, no matter how damp it was underneath. You still need to be sure that there isn't any rot about or you'll be taking a risk. Same goes for the motor although if it fires up and the compression figures are good then it should be fine.

Take someone who knows boats with you on an inspection and haggle on the price.

lucee81
31-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Looks like a good rig but as JJ said take someone along that knows boats, if your not sure on what you are looking for add in the excitment of buying your first boat and things get over looked. if you have someone you can trust and knows boats they may just talk sense if it turns out to be more than its worth.

mal555
31-05-2012, 01:45 PM
There's a similar aged boat at a Victorian dealer with a four stoke Honda 90 for $30K (check boatpoint.com for comparisons).
The 2 stroke Merc. is a robust motor, it should be fine with a new impeller and a powerhead shower in Lanox.

strobe1970
31-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys much appreciated for feedback. Unfortunately I don't have anybody that I know in Canberra has that much experience with boats so hence posting here. The cover was on before I took the pictures (a full length tarp on top of the canvas boat cover ) and there was a fair amount of water trapped in the tarp which had been there a while by the smell of it(and quite a few frogs were upset when I bucketed the water out and took the tarp/canvas off). The bung has also been left out so drain any water that might have got through the canvas cover and tarp - looks like the angle its on would have ensure any water making it to the hull would have been drained out.

I checked the hull entry points in the cabin and also middle of the rear deck (Kill tank ? though it seem a bit small for that ) and they both seemed dry and clean. I also grabbed the leg of the engine and gave it a good shake and the transom seemed sturdy as well (didn't deform or bow in or out). But as I've not done this before and just read lots of boating mags I could be missing important issues.

Some more piccis attached

Paul

strobe1970
31-05-2012, 02:16 PM
G'day Mal555,

I had a look at Boatpoint and Boatsales to see if I can determine a ballpark fair price. So I was thinking that in general a 2001 Concorde from a private sale would be circa $23-$25K in good condition (based on the prices being about $19K for a private sale '96 and $29K for a dealer 2001 on boatpoint/boatsales) so my thinking is that $19K for this one seems about right ?

Paul

gazza2006au
01-06-2012, 10:31 PM
dont go by dealers prices they way over charge and u will never get a dealer buying a boat from you for what another dealer would sell it for obviously so base the price on the private market i'd say 19K for a 10 year old boat in that condition is to much if u do buy it the interior looks ok just load up a spray bottle with 1/4th bleach and the rest water spray the lot it will come up like new than hose it all down to remove any bleach residue

mal555
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
G'day Mal555,

I had a look at Boatpoint and Boatsales to see if I can determine a ballpark fair price. So I was thinking that in general a 2001 Concorde from a private sale would be circa $23-$25K in good condition (based on the prices being about $19K for a private sale '96 and $29K for a dealer 2001 on boatpoint/boatsales) so my thinking is that $19K for this one seems about right ?

Paul

It appears to be priced approximately correct, except for the neglect issue. How much this is worth will depend on the current owner's interpretation and your willingness to close the deal.

The fact that he has not presented the boat in tidy condition would indicate he places little value on asthetics and possibly highly doubtful maintenance procedures, so I reckon the compromise will have to come mainly from you.

Caribbeans will always be worth more to Vic. Tas. NSW buyers.

Steeler
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Its a 2+2 merc motor, do some research on this engine to see if how they operate suits your wants. I like them but plenty do not. Compression check is a must along with a spark test and pay close attention to the bottom plug for water spots, first sign of a buggered bottom crank seal.

From memory these engines have a max RPM of 5200. I lent my book out a long time ago and as per usual still waiting for it to be returned LOL.

Also check the oil switch alarm sensor wires coming from the bottom of the oil bottle, a common practice for sellers is to disconnect the wires and tuck them away to shut the alarm off when the magnet delaminates and sits at the bottom of the bottle.

mal555
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
G'day Mal555,

Paul

Paul another way is to ring around the active dealers, acting as you already own this boat and ask to speak to the Carribean "guru" stating you wish to seek advice (this immediately inflates their ego and creates desire to assist you!)to establish a realistic value.
After you have gained their confidence, and you have to work on them a bit, you are more likely to achieve the answer.

strobe1970
05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - a lot of very useful advice and information. We'll see how we go.

I've now done some research around the mercury 2+2 - just need to find some manuals now.

Regards,

Paul

strobe1970
03-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Just an update to close out this thread.

I have bought the boat but based on the advice provided i also had the hull and engine professionally checked - both turned out fine (thankfully ).

Some pictures attached after spending a couple of days cleaning. Now I'm looking to upgrade the very basic fish finder on it to something more capable with DSi and maybe side scan as well. Lots of research required for that one.

cormorant
03-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Keep us up to date with what you actually spent to get it checked out, serviced, safety gear and the trailer back up to scratch with brakes, pads bearings etc. So many buyers forget the costs needed to get a boat back up to scratch and many sellers won't discount as they think it is all ok and not expensive. Time alone you have spent a heap and hope you get it on the water for a heap of fish.

Keep a close eye on wheel bearings and tyres as nothing likes sitting around and that goes for teh motor as well. Make sure there is a inline filter as old fuel in tanks always leaves wax, scum etc and it eventually gets dislodged. Keep a close eye on the motor and don't wring it's neck as it needs to bed in just like running it in again for a while and do the compressions again soon and at every service as motors that have sat depending on conditions often have small amounts of rust in em. Last one. All things that are electrical - check out all switches especially teh battery switch and cables a s they don't like sitting either.

Lot of fun to be had in that boat

strobe1970
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Happy to do that :-)

Additional costs so far:

Service: $1000 dollars - I had everything checked and regreased etc. Fuel had to be drained out. I was lucky with the service as the carbies were OK and compression was good - could have been a lot worse. also had to buy a new battery as the old one was stuffed. Had to replace tie down straps, winch strap and jockey wheel. I will do a service annually regardless from now on so normally should be about $500.
Hull check: No cost. I'm very lucky for that one - found a shipwright who was kind enough to do it for free
Safety gear: Couple surprises there. There was no bilge pump so had to fit one. Also the epirb was the old frequency. So about $600 there (I installed a good quality automatic pump.). Also the radio is 27Mhz so I will need to replace that in a couple years. Flares were also out of date (another $60)
Cleaning gear: after some research on this site I purchased some fibreglass restorer and polish - about another $80.
Cleaning: I had about 7 helpers for the clean - cost me some beer and champagne :-) and a few fishing trips.

Jarrah Jack
03-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Looks like a good boat that will serve you well for a long time. As with all glass boats with timber its best to keep the water well away. Check that all transom fittings are sealed. Its an easy job that doesn't take long. Sikaflex is the best stuff to use.